Arthurs Transit.

Arthur Foxhake

Problem with the factory mk5 turbo is that it's the Lucas epic system which isn't the most reliable and not many garages are up to speed on them as it was a kindof stepping stone system . Awful fly by wire throttle response too .

I did drive a Turbo Technics converted camper once and that was lovely . Proper flying saucer equipped bosch pump on that one

Lucas Epics main problem is people reading the codes....it's not OBD compliant and there's only 2 possibly 3 readers that will give meaningful results.

Throttle pedals give trouble to but to be fair most of them are 20+ years old and nobody buys a turbo van just to go to church on a Sunday....

• 2 months later...

Still plodding on with it.

Keep finding more rust.

" No shit Sherlock! " I hear you cry.

Work has taken a different route, which is good.

Not many pics now but more to come as outer arch is welded on and in first fill and prime state now and the rear door has been repaired as well.

post-19867-0-05663300-1494620396_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-42567300-1494620437_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-16548500-1494620487_thumb.jpg

My mate, who doesnt even have a licence yet, has had a smiley for a couple of years, V reg, dark blue, with optional electrics pack, full history from new, 180,000-odd thousand miles, totally original even down to original supplying dealer number plates and hes having to do similar work to his, hes like me and very OCD so the van is being returned to as new, concourse condition, hes found a mint 15k mile steering wheel to replace the original and hes even managed to find some brand new but old stock tyres that his van wouldve been fitted with when new, suffice to say ive neve had much interest in vans but now im suddenly interested in smiley Transits.

24744781952_ea41681a50_b.jpg1999 Ford Transit 80, V425OCS by CUL197Vinnie, on Flickr

Any weld that holds is a good weld!

Bit like "any landing you can walk away from..."

The real story is I just didn't take any.

I generally get involved in the job and think about writing up on it after.

I can promise to take more next time, but it would be a lie, because I will forget again.

I can promise to try and remember.

Which isn't much of a guarantee really, with my short term memory, but none of you are getting your money back anyway, so bollocks.