How to shift a car to scrapyard

sierraman

The wife's focus needs a few odds and ends, nothing too serious, I've thought about the idea of buying a £150 one to take a few bits off I might need, nothing that'd mean it wouldn't roll. What would the cost be likely of phoning a scrapman up to come and take the fucker away once I'd done. It would roll on the wheels so it would be able to be put on the back of the beaver tail.

Is this a monumentally shit idea or a good one to harvest a few useful spares?

Well worth it if you can amass quite a few 'common issue' spares to keep in boxes for future use. Obviously this works best if you get one of same age with same engine/gearbox/trim level etc.

I've always found door mirrors, brake calipers, ECUs, PAS pumps etc. to be worth their weight in gold when one packs in and you remember you saved a freebie before weighing a donor in .

If it'll roll then someone with a trailer might want it to pick at its remains.

If it still rolls then of course you're throwing away a potentially good set of wheels and tyres too! Skip wagon will easily lift a dead car off axle stands. Just put the windows down as I've seen skip wagon drivers just throw the chains through closed windows making a bit of a mess. Lazy feckers.

Or push it in the Canal after grinding the VIN off?

If you buy it you presumably fill the V5 in and send it off. Therefore you get road tax demands forever.

If you throw away the V5 the previous owner comes looking for you because he gets the tax.......unless he doesn't know where you live.

You need an End of life certificate. Make sure you get someone who will give you it.

If you give them the V5 to transfer ownership, they may well just throw it away leaving you liable for road tax or SORN.

All you need is them to complete the trade section of the V5 and you send it off - never give anyone a full V5

A certificate of destruction isn't mandatory.

You need an End of life certificate. Make sure you get someone who will give you it.

If you give them the V5 to transfer ownership, they may well just throw it away leaving you liable for road tax or SORN.

So far, I've dismantled three bikes that had the new style V5c without the 'Scrapped' tick box. Each time I sent the V5c back to Swansea with a covering letter explaining that I had dismantled the bike for spares, weighed the frame in and as such the machine no longer exists.

To date, they have always sent me the all-important 'Thank you for letting us know you are no longer the keeper of this vehicle' letter - sorted!

You don't need a COD, as said, just write SCRAPPED in marker pen all over the V5 and send it off. Failing that SORN lasts forever now and you can fill out the V5 as exported. Easy.

Before I knew the trick I described earlier worked, someone I, er, knew, might have 'sold' a dismantled scrapper to Joe Bloggs at an address on a deserted housing estate that was getting demolished...

I decided to keep a few bits off my mum's old Mk1 Clio when we scrapped it, including a nearly new suspension strut, and the wheels, two of which were sporting decent Conti eco tyres. I could have got about 80 quid for it had it been rolling, as it was a man with a hiab took it away for free. I've still got all the bits clogging up the garage, never got round to flogging them, so that was a waste of time and effort (ended up giving the two good tyres to a local place in exchange for them disposing of the other two bald ones, and weighed the steelies in for a few pence).

It sounds like a good idea in theory, but how far do you take it?  If the parts you need for the existing car are significant and can be obtained cheaper this way than just buying off the shelf then it could work, otherwise you'll probably find you end up hoarding masses of parts for years and the next bit that fails will be one of the parts you didn't keep.

I bought Bentley T1 for parts for £600. Sold lots of bits (it's a complete pain in the backside posting heavy items). Anyway, the scrap man gave me £150 for the remains having dragged them from my then girlfriend's driveway. The most impressive bit was the £150 comprised of the most knackered looking used notes possible.