Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Talk To Me About - MGF's

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#91 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 3,204 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:19 PM

This is all elementary now they're becoming classics and enthusiasts cars where owners are prepared to love and care for them.
  • 2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner.
  • 2005 Renault Laguna V6 Initiale - The surprising reliable runner and wolf in sheep's clothing.
  • 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp - The fun one that is the last hurrah before kids.

#92 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 2,883 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

I just spent most of the day in my MGF with no troubles at all.

I gassed it up with a quarter tank remaining on the gauge and the mileage saying 333 miles (536km) since I last filled up. It took 33.5 litres to fill up, so 6.25 L/100km which is 45.2mpg. 

• Barry Cade., scaryoldcortina, forddeliveryboy and 4 others like this

#93 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 7,456 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

The only small Rover I'd trust to get me around without constant daily driver misery would be an XUD or L Series engined R8 or R3.

The T-series is a sturdy engine as well, I don't know why they didn't downsize it instead of up-sizing the K. The T is relatively old school with an iron block but plenty of manufacturers still use iron blocks, or at least did well into the 21st century.

The K-series is a much sweeter engine than the Honda D-series, torquey from low revs and more fuel efficient, but yeah, replacing the head gasket at major service intervals isn't worth it.

I agree with all of your points by the way, I was trolling a bit.

• forddeliveryboy, Vince70, twosmoke300 and 1 other like this

#94 ONLINE   alcyonecorporation

alcyonecorporation

• Full Members
  • 780 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationNorthern Saitama Alliance

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

I agree with all of your points by the way, I was trolling a bit.

I also concur with your conclusion.
  • Hooli likes this

What we need is more poo brown cars.

Top tip, stop buying shit old cars. Works for me.

Lukas, shaking his head

#95 OFFLINE   AnthonyG

AnthonyG

• Full Members
  • 3,013 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

Its a lot easier to look for rust on an MX5 when buying one than it is to do all the head gasket/service history voodoo with an MGF/TF. This is why, even at the autoshite end of the market, an MX5 is generally worth twice as much as an F.

I've got nothing against Fs and would love a go in one, but I'm just saying there's a good reason why the MX5 is now on its fourth generation (and spawned an Italian cousin) whilst the F stopped at the sort of mk1.5 that was the TF.
  • SiC likes this

#96 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,026 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

Don't forget the 6,000,000 yards of howling understeer thanks to plastic ditchfinder tyres all the cheaper ones seem to wear.

You get understeer in an MGF?

U R doing it rong.

quick flik and a bootful, not too much or you'll spin it, they 4 wheel drift lovely on crap tyres.

• Heritage motor centre and Andy the tyre man like this

2003 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto - Mirage blue
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza -Blue Cocktail
2001 MGF VVC- Head gasket Blew

#97 ONLINE   alcyonecorporation

alcyonecorporation

• Full Members
  • 780 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

You get understeer in an MGF?

U R doing it rong.

quick flik and a bootful, not too much or you'll spin it, they 4 wheel drift lovely on crap tyres.

They're set up to understeer, all Fs/TFs are. You go round upsetting it on purpose the weight will drag you round and the steering isn't quick enough to get it back at anything over 40mph.

[pistonheads] Not the quickest way to get round a bend, sorry. If I wanted to slide a car around the last thing I'd pick would be something mid engined. Already barrel rolled an MG and don't want to do it again.

The fastest way to get mine round on tyres that weren't built for an end of life shopping trolley was go in hard and trim the speed off with left foot braking. It'd wibble appopriately to let you know it was on the edge of grip before pushing wide. [/pistonheads]

Slid lovely on pendine sands, mind. I got told off #troyqueef
  • Lacquer Peel likes this

Lukas, shaking his head

#98 OFFLINE   kinkersaab

kinkersaab

• Full Members
  • 1,047 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationaberdeenshire

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

To any MGF geeks out there...i am currently trying to deal a dec 2011 one with 5000 miles, that must be one of the last registered surely? cant see any 61 plate ones anywhere? when was the last registered one put on the road?

• AngusToledo and Vince70 like this
My car cost less than your one loses every month..... Who's the knob?

{C}http://s745.photobuc...x95/kinkersaab/

#99 OFFLINE   Partridge

Partridge

• Full Members
  • 4,691 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationFreezer

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Didn't they do a limited run again when SAIC took over?

• Craig the Princess likes this

Dugong- "Yes. Crashing a Ghibli through a hotel room made of champagne whilst off your swede on forest argh would be great."

Mouseflakes- "Are these wafer-thin slices of an actual clown's face?"

WilsonWilson - "What is this? A Vtec for ants?"

1997 Jaguar Sovereign 4.0 V8

2000 Renault Laguna DTi estate

2002 Honda Accord 2.0 (MK6)

#100 ONLINE   DVee8

DVee8

• Full Members
  • 4,405 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationOn the settee

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

Has anyone tried a 1.6 MGF?

I thought they were all 1.8's untill this thread,i now have found 1 close for sale.

Just rolling along

Daimler 250 V8 1968

BMW 320dGT M-Sport.

Nissan X-Trail N-tec

#101 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,026 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

They're set up to understeer, all Fs/TFs are. You go round upsetting it on purpose the weight will drag you round and the steering isn't quick enough to get it back at anything over 40mph.

[pistonheads] Not the quickest way to get round a bend, sorry. If I wanted to slide a car around the last thing I'd pick would be something mid engined. Already barrel rolled an MG and don't want to do it again.

The fastest way to get mine round on tyres that weren't built for an end of life shopping trolley was go in hard and trim the speed off with left foot braking. It'd wibble appopriately to let you know it was on the edge of grip before pushing wide. [/pistonheads]

Slid lovely on pendine sands, mind. I got told off #troyqueef

Been driving X1/9's for nearly 20 years on 165/70/13's. Not interested in going round bends quick, just really like a car to move around at uncrazy speeds so I can enjoy it, and having that knife edge of mid engined cars just adds to the fuzzy feeling when you get it right. I have got it rong..a lot, but the nice thing is they pretty much spin in their own length.

Already barrel rolled an X1/9 ..drove it home after. My X1/9 turbo, now that was a twitchy bastard..

#102 ONLINE   holbeck

holbeck

• Full Members
  • 1,349 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:49 PM

Has anyone tried a 1.6 MGF?

I thought they were all 1.8's untill this thread,i now have found 1 close for sale.

Yes. I found it still had plenty of go in it. The early ones (at least) were a base spec. no PAS as standard.

#103 OFFLINE   Rod/b

Rod/b

• Full Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationUnder the bonnet

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

Didn't they do a limited run again when SAIC took over?

Yeah, well sort of. Is was still NAC then, before SAIC bought them out. They built them in Longbridge from kits made in China for a few years from about 2008, I think 2011 would be about when it was canned though, if that late even.
  • Partridge likes this

#104 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

BLESS YOU MY SON

• Full Members
  • 5,119 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationOn the bog reading Autotrader

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

Its a lot easier to look for rust on an MX5 when buying one than it is to do all the head gasket/service history voodoo with an MGF/TF. This is why, even at the autoshite end of the market, an MX5 is generally worth twice as much as an F.

I've got nothing against Fs and would love a go in one, but I'm just saying there's a good reason why the MX5 is now on its fourth generation (and spawned an Italian cousin) whilst the F stopped at the sort of mk1.5 that was the TF.

Because BL went down the drain. The BMW Z3 doesn't drive particularly well (nowhere near as good as an MGF) but it actually outsold the MX5 at one point.

MX5 rust is nothing short of disgraceful - I've seen 03 and 04 platers that are absolutely fucked with rust. The F is that last ever MG - never mind rebadged Rover and Chinese crap.

• forddeliveryboy likes this

RED SKY AT NIGHT..............TOMORROW'S GOING TO BE BE SHITE.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F BMW 730i. Prestigious shite.

1999 S BMW E36 318i Touring. Daily shite.

"Oh, and the seagulls are the size of Jack Russells and about eleventy times more aggressive"

#105 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

BLESS YOU MY SON

• Full Members
  • 5,119 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

For the Elise I imagine Lotus tried to get the 1.8 through. 
'Fs were hot weather tested in Arizona. If you want even more conspiracy theory foam Rover was kept out of the US because BMW didn't want the F to compete with the Z3. 

Or Rover had no money to finish the K Series emissions certification (or were stopped from doing so by vested interests).

It was Bernard Pinchinstrider, he personally replaced the steel dowels with plastic ones as well to finish Rover off. My mate down the Dog and Hammer in Droitwich told me.

• Barry Cade., Lacquer Peel, Vince70 and 2 others like this

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

"Oh, and the seagulls are the size of Jack Russells and about eleventy times more aggressive"

#106 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 3,204 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

My wife's mk3 mx5 on a 56 plate that we sold 3 years ago just started having rust show up underneath. Must be the Ford influence in them.
  • AngusToledo likes this
  • 2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner.
  • 2005 Renault Laguna V6 Initiale - The surprising reliable runner and wolf in sheep's clothing.
  • 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp - The fun one that is the last hurrah before kids.

#107 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

BLESS YOU MY SON

• Full Members
  • 5,119 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

My wife's mk3 mx5 on a 56 plate that we sold 3 years ago just started having rust show up underneath. Must be the Ford influence in them.

Zero rustproofing. Domestic Jap stuff has no rust protection bar a lick of underseal and a breath of top coat - you see imported stuff.....mint when it lands here but finished after 5 to 10 UK winters.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

#108 OFFLINE   Rusty Sills

Rusty Sills

• Full Members
  • 798 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

Zero rustproofing. Domestic Jap stuff has no rust protection bar a lick of underseal and a breath of top coat - you see imported stuff.....mint when it lands here but finished after 5 to 10 UK winters.

I've spent a lot of time under MX5s and the imports are always cleaner, even if they've been here since new. The worst was always pogweasel uk mk1s.

#109 OFFLINE   buckbuckbuckie

buckbuckbuckie

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 72 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBuckie

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

The 1.8 vvc 160 is the best engine that I can lift up.

• alcyonecorporation likes this

Current: 2007 Renault Espace | 1996 Saab 9000 | 1968 Reliant Scimitar | 1996 Rover Metro 114 GSi | 2005 Vauxhall Movano Recovery Truck | 1977 Leyland Sherpa

Breaking: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.2 TiD | 2002 Saab 9-3 Aero | 2004 Saab 9-3 2.2 TiD | 1996 Volvo 940

#110 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,026 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

The 1.8 vvc 160 is the best engine that I can lift up.

It's also the best Diesel sounding non Diesel..

#111 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 7,456 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

I think that's a fallacy like the "They have to scrap their cars at 3 years old in Japan" shite, as others have pointed out, the cars that sold new in the UK are often a lot worse and plenty of cars of all nations designed in or for Europe rust like buggery.

#112 ONLINE   alcyonecorporation

alcyonecorporation

• Full Members
  • 780 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

Also, immobilisers. The Lucas-Pektron thing is a disaster. Knock some money off if the car you're looking it has a sick one - otherwise you'll soon get tired of Emergency Key Access (EKA) procedures.

Lukas, shaking his head

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users