Renault 30 TS - video added!

doubleyeller

I was once loaned a Renault 30 many years ago, when they were still current. I was hugely impressed by it, it was quite something compared to the rather agricultural Capri that I had at the time. I was very tempted to buy it until I looked under the bonnet, there was just too much stuff under there for a country bumpkin like me so I chickened out.

I'm sure it had weird central locking with little red button things that popped up on top of the doors, but which were covered with a clear plastic shield to stop you pulling them up by hand.

Quite a few fuel injected cars did that bzzzz thing. You have really reminded me of it! It was very noticeable on Jags and Mercs. I guess it ended when they started putting the fuel pump in the tank. The PRV V6 doesn't sound like anything else. I never heard it in the 30, but did in the 604 (and a Tagora SX).

Audi 100 Type 43 5E with K-Jetronic did that bzzz as well.

I'm sure it had weird central locking with little red button things that popped up on top of the doors, but which were covered with a clear plastic shield to stop you pulling them up by hand.

The red knob appears when locked and you see empty caps in door open condition. So you can't lock or unlock the doors from the inside of the car. 4 electric windows means you're locked inside your car if the battery fails and you've managed to lock the doors from the inside through the windows. Just joking. But it's no vacuum central locking but an electro-magnetic system, so quite reliable unless some wires fail. Interesting keys coming with the R20/30, rather looking like some pocket drills than car keys.

One of our customers had a gold 30 from new, bought it in every year for a service until a couple of years ago. When I asked why I hadn't seen it for a while, I was told the local yobs had smashed every window. Renault and Autoglass couldn't help so they scrapped it! Really sad end to a nice old car.

Hope yours has better luck!

Mouseflakes stuff - couldn't find a proper AS thread, maybe it went by the ether

Only (re)posting these as the wait for new photos is unbearable

30front1.jpg

PA090033G.jpg

30v6.jpg

http://renaultccc.proboards.com/thread/481/1978-30ts-auto-small-update

http://autoshite.com/topic/5348-r30-body-repairs-slow-progress/

This car shows one of three standard wheels sold with the 30, earlier ones were the cross-design also used on the 20TS. The typical TX (R20 as well) TRX suits the car the most in my likes. These and the shown above are Amils, which look really tiny in today's wheels' recognition.

But I can not imagine an R30 on 16'', the TX wheels are the ones to to go with the car even today.

Now I want a 1980-83 bleu nuit métallisé (really looking great) 30TX injection manual...

Edit on the years, I'm not that picky! ;)

• 5 months later...

Just spotted this on arsebook. Looking very sorry for itself :/

Yeah, I've been stealing pictures off here and bragging about my loose association with DoubleYeller online and my once chance meeting with Mouseflakes in Malham like they're Joe Swash and Cheggers or something. People are clearly impressed though.

You've not been on Celebrity Love Island have you DoubleYeller? That would make it even cooler.