Tow car wanted. other helpful information required.

garbaldy

The auto box death isn't something our family has experienced TBH although we're all a bit old school and look/ plan ahead and are prepared to force the box to change if needed. That's mainly towing either a tractor and plough or horsebox most weeks with the odd bit of caravanning thrown in. I do make a habit of changing the auto box fluid and either cleaning or replacing the filter whenever something new comes up.

Obviously that's not to say I would regularly attempt to drag a fully loaded twin axle Vickers over the top of a mountain without fitting a box cooler - unless it was really really cheap..

That's also good advice, when towing treat it more like a manual, pull it down to a lower gear up and down hills, use '3’ instead of 'D' if it has an overdrive fitted

I haven't experienced autobox death yet, but I expect I probably will by the time this year is over (and have a spare standing by)...there again, the box in mine isn't renowned for its strength and longevity to start with.

we used a 1.6hdi Citroen C4 Grand Picasso for our van, it never really struggled tbf to it. We upgraded to our Honda CRV and this really is decent tow car did approx. 8k towing last year mostly loaded up to about 1.5tonn, 10 hours driving at a steady50- 60mph two days in a row.

what will kill an autobox is torque rather than revs.

The solution is to hold lower gears and rev the engine more.

If you have a modern with "sport" mode then just leave it in sport when towing.

My 806 HDI was a good towcar.  With a long wheelbase and a short rear overhang it was incredibly stable and from memory you could legally tow 2000kg.  The limiting factor was the 75kg nose weight which is not enough to keep a heavy trailer stable so I used to just ignore that and put 120kg on the nose.

My 806 HDI was a good towcar.  With a long wheelbase and a short rear overhang it was incredibly stable and from memory you could legally tow 2000kg.  The limiting factor was the 75kg nose weight which is not enough to keep a heavy trailer stable so I used to just ignore that and put 120kg on the nose.

Thats interesting. As an ugly single man with no friends I have obviously been contemplating buying a people carrier...Pug 806 / Citroen Synergie / Fiat uselessknees are available in my price range and a decent tow capacity would be handy.

I have towed with lots. The trick is getting a car that is good for towing but not a guzzler. C5's are good tow cars. My 110 hdi does ok with boats and a 16ft van. Handles well but no real power. All my 6 cylinder cars were the best but it has a price.  Bang for buck a 16v diesel C5 for under a grand.

I had the 806 upto 70mph with my caravan on back on the French motorway. At that speed the caravan started bouncing up and down, but there was absolutely no sign weaving. The rear axle is so far back on the 806 that it's nearly in the same place as the towbar. This is why they are so stable. It won't be as good as a big 4x4 at hill starts though.

A nice, cheap Ssangyong Rexton 290. /Thread

20170126_142415_zpsdt7t8w9z.jpg

I agree. 2k would buy you a very nice 2004/5.

I also has a Rexton 290 and a twin axle car trailer and live in Suffolk.......

You can run it on veg and much fun is to be had if you have a manual gearbox ( with magic wand shift pattern ) like I have.

It will tow almost anything and cruise at 60 all day and still do around 30MPG.

I had a fourtrak, I loved it, it rusted away.....I had a 300TDi Disco, didn't love it, it rusted away.

For the xtra cash I would like a 270SPR but Common Rail=No veg.