Tow car wanted. other helpful information required.

garbaldy

Mine tows 1500ishkg of box trailer quite a lot. It's ok.

Shit steering lock though, which can make marketplace manouvering a bit snug,

It's in the second linky down on my last reply, looks okay too.

I've been to look at a 330d tourer but it drove like it's shock oil had been replaced with jellyied eel's and it was pretty darn roosty too.

Have you had any experience of the previous sante Fe for comparison?

A friend is on his second but will want one like yours when they get closer to shite money. He doesn't tow but does go off-road in pursuit of fish.

I haven't tried any other Santa Fes. Mine hasn't got any go below 1500 revs but that could be peculiar to this one.

My dad is looking to trade in his D5 V70 53 plate for an XC70. Recently spent £1200 on it for a new dmf and clutch and is hoping to get that amount back if possible.

My 2.5 diesel XM was an absolute weapon for towing. The hydraulic suspension kept everything level and the nice engine had plenty of grunt.

The 110BHP HDI Xantia was probably my second fave tow car.  Miles better than the Volvo 940s and the like I used to tow with.

just been looking at a 99 2.5tdi Volvo estate might be alright.

This was my 2.5TDi Volvo last weekend (we know about the wonky wheel).

31896204703_8b3410f0a6_b.jpg

It coped reasonably well, though I think a manual would have been a bit better. Handling-wise it seemed fine, there are some very long downhill stretches on the A9 around Inverness. This has the 5 cylinder VAG engine, which I think is a lot better than the older 6 cylinder VAG engine in RWD Volvos.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi (mk5 Golf shape). I jest obviously but seriously the amount i see with towbars its like the caravan club voted it towcar of the year and everyone with a caravan went out and bought one and the result is every one of them has a towbar now, but still at least it saves the bother of fitting a towbar to one (says the man who spent 4 hours removing all trace of the one on his car yesterday)

Is an auto a better idea for a tow car so you dont burn the clutch out trying to pull away with all that weight on the back constantly? 

Ssangyong.

Ssangyong Musso was the worst car I have ever owned. Reliable but so, so shit.   I hear the Rextons are better though

My old Shogun is a great tow car but to be honest the Xantia estate I had or C5 after were almost as good. I only bought the Shogun due to the legal towing capacity making the Citroens overweight with car trailer on the back

Is an auto a better idea for a tow car so you dont burn the clutch out trying to pull away with all that weight on the back constantly? 

Auto boxes can overheat when towing if they aren't up to it. I know some manufacturer fit tow bars include gearbox oil coolers to combat this.

Of course you could just look further down the road, think a bit & allow for stuff so you don't have to stop as much.

I've always preferred manuals, slipping the clutch shouldn't be an issue unless you deliberately abuse it. Most Auto's I've used for towing have been constantly up and down the gears and can overheat and cook themselves unless they have a decent oil cooler fitted.  

Mine did 30mpg round cornwall 40 ish on a run . I would say yours is poorly .

I collected my 4 post lift from Derby with mine . Twin axle Brian james trailer on the back . Did 30mpg empty on the way up and 20mpg on the way back . Approx 1.6 ton behind it .

box trailer is in effect fucking great sail - 6ft wide and nearly 8ft tall. Everything drinks dragging that along. Current diesel volvo struggles to better 30 with it on. You don't get any of your normal "just rolling along" advantage, take your foot off the gas and you slow, quite quickly.

But yes - ran swindon to portishead return. 50mph cruise. 14.2 overall on the journey. (one of the few I know egg-zackery)

An extremely nice place to be though. I miss it.

A little update if anyone cares,

I have been to see a Hyundai terracan 2.9 and it had an alarming rattle on start up and at certain revs to which the owner said it had been like that for years hmmm

He said he never bothered to put it into the garage to check it out because it doesn't use oil,

Needless to say I dismissed that one as it just wasn't looked after and had plenty faults that would just niggle at you especially bthe metal to metal brakes.

Volvo v70 started and ran very well even at 200k but the tyres all barely legal and one rear shock must have been removed as bouncy bouncy,

You may think I'm being overly fussy but if I'm expected to pay into the thousands I want it to at least be roadworthy for a few months.

Terranos also rot. Horribly. It's why they seem to be disappearing at an alarming rate.

That they certainly do. Good shout! Along with the MPG, the two reasons I struck them off my tow car list, recently.

Shame, as there are some serious bargains to be had.

Lexus RX? I have no idea what the towing weight is, it's a big comfy barge with a V6 and you see quite a few dragging caravans about.

Fuel costs will be ruinous though.

About 5 tonne gross from memory, towbars are a bugger to get, had to import one from Poland for ours, apparently some went bang when doing mega heavy towing without the Toyota tow pack which included an additional auto box cooler so the towbar companies stopped doing bars....

We get about 17mpg average towing on LPG.

The box has an overheat light and it's never illuminated but I have changed the fluid which is a specific one and OMG how expensive???

The box is a bit lazy at dropping down when towing so it's as easy to drop in and out of overdrive manually for easier progress.

I would steer clear of auto's if you're using it for regular heavy towing work, much more likely to grenade an auto box than wear a clutch out.  If you must then fit a decent ATF cooler, stock coolers are typically just a pipe which runs the ATF through one of the radiator tanks. 

This, as well as being rubbish at cooling ATF, can have the added bonus feature of the pipe corroding internally and causing ATF and water to mix....and your gearbox to grenade.