French Shite 205 GTi - Sold and replacement collectioned - Warning Modern content.

Captain Furious

Unfortunately no collection thread, because I wasn't involved in the collection due to other commitments, but even if I had been, I'm told it was an entirely uneventful 8 mile round trip, so my first collection thread would have also been the worst ever.

So 2017 started off with a firm, not-to-be-broken commitment - Absolutely no more f**king cars. Anyway on Jan 10th or thereabouts a friend of mine brought this 205 to my attention, long story short, we ended up buying it as a 50/50 'project'. To be honest I just want to have a hoon around in it because its one of those cars I wish I'd owned when they were current, but since they're now an OMG appreciating classic, I might consider some degree of restoration.

Anyway we got it for £1200, which seemed like it was fairly cheap judging by some of the stratospheric prices on ebay and autohater, its a 1990 1.9 GTi, but it has issues, most obvious of which is the completely fucked paintwork on the roof, bonnet and door frames. Sides are not too bad, but its certainly not going to win any beauty pageants.

I don't have any pics other than what the seller sent us, because in truth I haven't actually seen it outside to get any yet, so bear with me

This is probably its best shot, although I really want rid of the gash reflective 205 panel on the bootlid..

8BD7AED6-6D11-4FB7-ABA1-AFC17722E114.jpg

That paintwork...

5EB52415-3A2A-4F9A-96EA-62F2756FC1E7.jpg

Anyhoo, it currently has no MOT so that's first on the agenda, just a few niggly bits really (that I know of) hazard lights, washer jets, fog lights not working, electrical stuff. Then chuck it in next week and hope for the best.

Cheers, yours looks like a good one.  I'm hoping we have a couple of contacts in the bodywork business that may facilitate getting it sorted slightly cheaper, but spreading the cost 50/50 with someone else also helps out massively without it feeling like a big hit in the wallet

I think the only real mystery so far is the heater blower doesn't work, which I've read online could be some kind of resister box up behind the dash on the passenger side.

What I do like about it is that other than the red bootlid trim thingy, it seems to be unmolested and original, no silly lowered suspension or tacky wheels, exactly how I like them.

Inoperative fan will be the resistor pack, accessed from the passenger footwell and dead easy to replace. Mine had the same issue a couple of years ago.

I got mine as an unloved, but unmolested example in 2003. I used it every weekend for the first year or so because my company car was in France and I traveled home on Fridays. Luckily I managed to keep it, prices for good examples are on the rise as you have seen.

Projects are still a bargain, although not in the same sense as in 2003!

Contact my brother Will (explosive-cabbage on here for your PMs). He may be able to help you with non-GTI-specific used parts.

FYI front fog lights are not part of the MOT (unless there's jagged shards of glass exposed) so don't worry too much about them if you're itching to get a test on it.

Fix and enjoy, my 309 GTI was an ace motor.

Cheers, the front ones are fine, I think. Its the rear fog that doesn't work.  I'm fairly certain its the switch and hoping one from ebay is waiting in my letterbox when I get back tonight

Oh there was one other thing, if any 205 aficionados have an idea. 

My mate commented that when he drove it back, it drives fine at lower revs/part throttle, but if you give it a bootfull it splutters and dies.  Haven't really had chance to investigate that yet because I've not driven it, hoping it just needs an Italian tune up after standing for a while, but things are rarely that simple.

Assuming that the fog light switch lights up when you press it, the rear fog is probably shitty contacts on the plug or bulb on the rear lamp itself.

Indeed, most of the issues you listed will likely be down to bad connections - the unsealed connectors Peugeot used in their ultimate wisdom is the single biggest cause of electrical woe.

Dying under load could be a few things - knackered AFM or weak spark would be where I'd start. Not sure where you are, but if you're anywhere near Swindon I've loads of spares that you're welcome to try or if you're local I'll pop over and have a nosey. I've owned 205's for best part of 15 years now, so I'm a reasonably dab hand with them.

Oh, those reflective boot panels are quite valuable if you can remove it intact - not my cup of tea, but they sell well on fleabay etc.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer (This place is what it used to be etc) but I'm up in the midlands so a fair way from Swindon.  I don't think the running issues will stop it getting through the MOT so its something that we'll tackle when its road legal and can take it for test drives.  Be good to have a few ideas of where to look upfront though.

You can be fairly sure i'll be back with more questions then..

(The reflective boot panel has a crack in it already so I doubt its coming off in one piece)

Brings a tear to my eye every time I see one, I picked up a damaged, first year of production, 1984 B reg 1.6 and spent a few years getting it sorted and was 90% done when me and the wife split and it had to go out of her garage, due to seperation head fuck I scrapped it for £15, this was in in 2003 when they were worth fuck all and my ad's didn't get a reply   

Had a couple of hours on it yesterday

Things that we fixed

N/S front indicator very dim - corroded connection

Rear fog light switch

Rear stop/tail light bulb in backwards

Reverse light bulb replaced

Things that are still borked

Blower motor, think the actual motor is gone, removing it and attaching direct to battery achieved no rotation

Drivers side electric window - despite efforts to resurrect it looks like a new regulator will be required

Things that are borked that weren't borked before we started

Drivers side front indicator - wire snapped trying to refit holder

Passenger side central locking

The general shiftiness of the electrics is also leading me to believe that the running issues could also be down to a crappy connection or dodgy earth somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

We have now replaced the blower motor, window motor, indicators and central locking, at one point last weekend we had a full set of electrics, then both reverse lights and the horn packed in.  Dodgy connection on both reverse bulbs and dodgy connection on a relay under the bonnet where we'd rested a battery charger on it.  And that seems to be the theme here, at any point in time something that had worked previously or already been ticked off as fixed, may discontinue operations without warning. 

So it has an MOT tomorrow, I am not expecting a pass to be honest, but we've fixed all the definite fails we can find so now its just a case of getting the official fail sheet to start addressing the things we don't know about.

In other news, the V5, which the previous owner couldn't find, has now materialised, but only after we'd already sent off a V62 to get a new one in the previous owners name, so he could give that to us to change ownership...so now we have to wait for the DVLA to send the old owner the new V5....sending the old one back to change keepers while they're still processing the request for a new one in the old keepers name is likely to confuse the system, and you don't want to confuse the system, especially with the DVLA

That's actually confused me typing it out.

I had one of these. It developed a running problem similar to what you've described. After replacing all sorts of things I found the earth block for the fuel pump was rusted away. It hides behind the carpet in the boot, in the nearside wheel arch.

Useful info, thanks.  We'll definitely check that out as it would fit the symptoms perfectly.