Any Love for Bini's - Silver Project Car Moved Up the Job List

tommotech

I have had my 1 Series BMW on Scumtree this last week, it's been a difficult sell due to the mileage I think. It's got nearly 250k and no one seems to be up for a car with that mileage showing, even though it has extensive history and has been serviced every 10k in the last 6 years.

I have a guy coming over to look at it tomorrow but he has a 2003 Cooper Bini. This might be a good little thing for Mrs T, what to look for and what goes wrong though. Any experience anyone?

Thanks in advance!

What engine is in the 1-series? Something 6-cyl?

Others will be on about the Bini. I believe gearboxes are the biggest thing on that generation. That, I think, is around the time when it switched from the original troublesome to the newer less troublesome box. Engines iirc are pretty bulletproof.

Power steering pumps are a fairly easy change and there are updated pumps available on exchange.

Boxes - yes the boxes have a reputation but change the oil asap with some Redline MTL or fresh MTF 94 (Land Rover stock it) and you should be alright. Those boxes had a great reputation in Rovers and Peugeots but it would seem the power and torque characteristics of the Bini push the boxes to their limits.

Run flat tyres often needed, always expensive so make sure anything you are looking at has decent boots

Thanks for the comments, really helpful in making a judgement on this car. So the guy turned up, first shock as I was sceptical, and liked the BMW. Said it was exactly what he needed and wasn't concerned about the mileage, I know it's a problem from this experience but it truly was a well sorted 118d save for the battery dying after lack of use.

Attention then turned to his Mini, not a bad little Cooper which drives ok but presents as a bit shabby. Needs a damn good clean and some TLC but the 'box feels good (at least no worse than equivalent Rover/PSA) and Power Steering works fine and isn't noisy, both items advised above. 146k showing with full history.

After some tooing and froing a deal was struck and I'm in possession of a 2003 Mini Cooper. An oil leak is the only major thing I can see but can be easily sorted. Also needs a screen repair.

Outgoing;

post-19581-0-61170500-1486042046_thumb.jpg

Incoming;

post-19581-0-82336000-1486042136_thumb.jpg

I've put it in for MOT this afternoon, fingers crossed. Once I know the extent of its condition I can make a decision on its future.

I can't help but feel he's got the better end of the deal unless you got cash your way. I can't get excited over a resale black Cooper. My mates birds one was also a 03 plate and it wasn't a nice drive and then the gearbox started to sound like someone running their hand across a comb before giving up completely and costing them £1500 to fix.

My wife's cousin has an 02 Cooper S on his mums drive that he's trying to shift. Apparently the pas motor is inop but apart from that it's reportedly sound. I was tempted but I have too many other car related expenses due in the near future. It's in a smashing colour too, a kind of gunmetal is how I would describe it.

I can't help but feel he's got the better end of the deal unless you got cash your way. I can't get excited over a resale black Cooper. My mates birds one was also a 03 plate and it wasn't a nice drive and then the gearbox started to sound like someone running their hand across a comb before giving up completely and costing them £1500 to fix.

I've done alright trigger, I got cash too and a car that seems to have more palatable mileage than the BMW. I really can't believe it was so difficult to move on at a reasonable price. The Mini should clean up ok and a bit of TLC will see it right.

sadly i find myself been drawn towards the R50? original BINI

stylistically the original one looks ok, much better now i think than it did when new, helped no doubt by the ugly goppin' horror that is now on sale.

it seems tha Rover got the original BINI more or less right.

i couldn't be doing with the blooper though, a "one" with hubcaps though, now you are talking....

Either way even if the box is good, change the oil asap!

The drain and filler plugs will resemble Robot Hedgehogs with all the bits of swarf stuck to them and you don't want that swilling around synchros and bearings.

As mentioned Redline MTL is good but probably £20 a litre. The standard fill MTF 94 is half the cost and decent enough. The change is straightforward although it is a bit cramped underneath.

Worst case scenario is the oil has been recently changed and there isn't any swarf about, so change it anyway and that's one little thing you can do to help the longevity of the box.

is it riding on 17's? The wheels look pretty chunky! Mine was on 16's which was gr8 for handling but definitely not pothole friendly!

Oil changes and full service is on the list, I will have the result of MOT in the morning so will decide it future fate then. There is a recent clutch replacement in the history so I'm guessing the oil won't be that old, but definitely worth replacing, as you rightly point out Parky.

It is on 17" run flats, handles well but you can feel every stone in the road almost.

I like them too, tempted to get another. Beauty of them is wheels and interiors for example are ten a penny on the bay so even if you get a scruffy one its not too hard to get them up to scratch. Even customised a bit!

Always fancied a BRG one with a red interior! Don't think it was ever an option but easy enough to make myself