Any Love for Bini's - Silver Project Car Moved Up the Job List

tommotech

I'm sorry to hijack your thread but does anyone know if R58 coupe wheels fit a R50 cooper as I've just been offered a brand new set with tyres for £150 off a mate of mine and another friend wants them fitted to her mini 2004 Mini Cooper .

Yes. All Minis 2001-2014 are 4x100 with the exception of Cuntymans.

I only wanted to know if anyone knew about Wheel Speed Sensor issues, good to see a healthy debate on how shit, or not, Minis are though.

Having worked on many original Minis I accept they are not everybody's cup of tea, however they are a mechanically simple little thing but can be annoying to do things on. The trick is to accept it for what it is and understand that some jobs take longer than on other cars.

Any further experience of Wheel Speed Sensor issues gratefully received.

You forgot to mention Rev the collapsing rear subframes..

I've only ever had two minis myself so I guess I can't really judge them but one was a 1978 850 and the other was an 1100 clubman and I did the normal thing of chasing the rust on both and damp start was a must with both cars.

But my father had one and it collapsed so it was abandoned at the side of the road and a mate of mine had the same thing happen to his.

Another mate tried reenacting the Italian job with his mini by driving through a ford flat out and it got stuck soon as it made a splash in the water, we didn't have to worry about opening the doors to get wet as it filled up with water from the massive holes underneath lol.

I also remember putting my C60 cassettes in the rear side cubby hole on one of my minis only to find that they had fallen through the floor onto the road while I was driving and one of those cassettes was my favourite Depeche Mode Album at the time and for that reason I can't rate the mini lol.

But they were bloody fun to drive and I miss that gearbox whine maybe that's why with the R50 they fitted the midland gearbox so that when it reached about 60 thousand miles on the clock it sounded like the original.

I only wanted to know if anyone knew about Wheel Speed Sensor issues, good to see a healthy debate on how shit, or not, Minis are though.

Having worked on many original Minis I accept they are not everybody's cup of tea, however they are a mechanically simple little thing but can be annoying to do things on. The trick is to accept it for what it is and understand that some jobs take longer than on other cars.

Alas, I am no expert, however. I had this issue at the end of last year. I had a noisy wheel bearing and on these apparently that means a whole hub assembly. The new one was fitted by the garage and yes I then had abs light and tps light on ( they weren't before)

The surface of the new hub was damaged and this is used as a pickup for the abs sensor. A replacement, replacement was fitted lights reset and no problem since. All this is what I was told by the garage, possibly rubbish, but there we are.

What you may find is three fold. 

- The ABS sensors, despite being plastic, weld themselves into the iron hub with the grip of Hercules. You will need to seriously beast them out and once removed, the hub will need serious attention with a file. Don't use a cheap and nasty sensor but a good brand name one.

- Some cars had driveshafts with the ABS ring heat shrunk on. The CV joint is steel, the ABS ring is mild shit steel. The CV just rusts, expands and fractures the ABS ring.

- It may even be a faulty ABS block but this is rare. This will show up as a faulty sensor when in fact it's the driver for that sensor in the ABS control unit.

Cheapest option - diagnostics to pinpoint the dead one, change it and see how it goes. You may be lucky!

What you may find is three fold. 

- The ABS sensors, despite being plastic, weld themselves into the iron hub with the grip of Hercules. You will need to seriously beast them out and once removed, the hub will need serious attention with a file. Don't use a cheap and nasty sensor but a good brand name one.

- Some cars had driveshafts with the ABS ring heat shrunk on. The CV joint is steel, the ABS ring is mild shit steel. The CV just rusts, expands and fractures the ABS ring.

- It may even be a faulty ABS block but this is rare. This will show up as a faulty sensor when in fact it's the driver for that sensor in the ABS control unit.

Cheapest option - diagnostics to pinpoint the dead one, change it and see how it goes. You may be lucky!

This may be helpful:

Another mate tried reenacting the Italian job with his mini by driving through a ford flat out and it got stuck soon as it made a splash in the water, we didn't have to worry about opening the doors to get wet as it filled up with water from the massive holes underneath lol.

That reminds me. Back in 1986 I'd built a fake (but convincing) Mark 1 Cooper from a very early shell - think it was a 1959 or early '60. These were the ones with the floor pressed the wrong way - the outer sills were part of the floorpan pressing with the inner wills welded in from inside.,Anyway, rather than the small 1.5 inch rubber floor bungs on most Minis, these early floors had massive alloy bungs that were 3 or 4 inches in diameter. I was driving 'briskly' one day in heavy rain and with an impossibly fit girl in the front seat. We were getting on really well - until I hit a puddle the size of Conniston at about 50-60. The sheer pressure of the water punched both drain plugs out of the floor, lifted the carpet and showered everything - us included - in muddy rain water.

Impressed? She wasn't.

Looked good though - Tartan red with a white roof, Cosmic alloys, Benelite grille and Cooper badges. 1100 Clubman engine and box and a single box 2" zorst. You heard it before you saw it, as did Newbury police.

Found some time to look at the ABS wheel sensor fault today. The code is front left Wheel Speed Sensor and it looks like a new sensor is fitted. I managed to get a wiring diagram and wasn't able to get continuity between ABS controller and the sensor plug.

No problems under the wheel arch with the wiring so had a look at the ECU end. Air filter, battery and fuse box out to get access and release the ABS unit to get a good look at the wiring. As you can see the harness had rubbed through and then corroded the wire. Chopped out the bad wire and reassembled, code cleared ok.

post-19581-0-86418400-1488234303_thumb.jpg

post-19581-0-66726300-1488234336_thumb.jpg

The original wiring was by no means ideal, tight radius against a bracket and trapped on the plastic shielding. Most of the harness tails seem tight, maybe BMW wanted to carry over the charms of the original Mini, post Lucas days.

Also had time to look at the non-functioning drop glass. The suggested door card thump failed to breath life into the motor, however tapping the motor directly did bring success.

Regulator out and motor dismantled showed the commutator slip ring to be dirty, a clean up and reassembly did the trick, fully functional widow now.

post-19581-0-79017200-1488234899_thumb.jpg

post-19581-0-29678100-1488234937_thumb.jpg

I forgot about the boot leak we had the same problem on my friends Bini and it was the rear wiper washer motor.. I can't remember how we fixed it now but I remember uncliping the rear panel and using mastic and it stopped the leak.

I think it's mainly due to washer jet getting blocked up and water finding its way out elsewhere as I do remember taking the rear wiper arm off and cleaning it out.

• 2 months later...

Having been sat neglected for a while I eventually got round to identifying the source of water ingress into the boot. It was indeed the grommet around the rear wiper motor.

However, on removing the wiper are the nut snapped off and the wiper arm would not release.

A complete kit is available to upgrade to Valeo motor but for now I have removed the old motor and sealed a plug into the hole in the glass - no more leak!

Due to me leaving things too late to get my daily Audi mot'd in time, and then needing two tyres, I had to press the Mini into service. So from not being used I did a quick service and then jumped in it to go to Edinburgh.

In fairness it drove well beyond my expectations, going to prove that you shouldn't pre-judge anything before you've lived with it. A trouble free 800 miles in two days and the car has grown on me more than I ever thought it would.

• 7 months later...

Every time I’ve needed the Bini it has started and done everything asked of it, quite boring but definitely reliable. Until this morning that is.......

The car has been sat a while as I’ve been working away recently, got to it this morning and there was not enough in the battery for a cold start. Jumped ok and I will test the battery tomorrow to see if it has recovered or not.

It got me to Cannock and back though with no other issues. It does drive well for a small car.

I would just like to say that an early Y Reg Cooper is on my list.  Therefore I'm happy to read about other people's experiences, pitfalls, cries of despair etc.

Is there a way to improve the ride on them?

Change the run flats for yoko's.

Also new clutch will cost a packet (at a garage) to renew,you gotta remove half the body then all the junk ....round about £600-800 depending on where you take it.

I had a 2004 ONE, not a lot of room to do owt (why put a/con on a mini) mine had 120K, and getting all gears was a pita.

Also that much gimmky stuff crammed into them,they get worse up to present day.Not what I'd call a mini.

I got a 1972 proper mini PXd the BINI Got £850 (crap price) off the £2k  72 mini.

Loads more room in ALEX AGGO's creation to work on suprizingly?? and the bits are cheaper. OH!! and there's NO COMPUTER  to f*ck up.

Every time I’ve needed the Bini it has started and done everything asked of it, quite boring but definitely reliable. Until this morning that is.......

The car has been sat a while as I’ve been working away recently, got to it this morning and there was not enough in the battery for a cold start. Jumped ok and I will test the battery tomorrow to see if it has recovered or not.

It got me to Cannock and back though with no other issues. It does drive well for a small car.

The MINI ONE has a shorter battery than the Cooper and a plastic spacer to make it higher. Nobody (apart from BMW) seems to sells the higher battery, so if you have cooper you need a 1.5 inch thick block of wood to lift the ONE battery.  This was the reason for our last ftp - the live lead fell off.

The Bini started perfectly on Monday after having to be jumped on Saturday. A good run seems to have replenished the battery quite nicely. It also started the car a minus 9 this morning.

I can say that it is one of the best cars I’ve driven in snow and definitely the best on standard rubber. The ASC system is properly calibrated, catches wheel spin well and keeps the car from stepping out at the back. From not knowing what to expect a year ago I can say I’m pleasantly surprised - everyone should have the chance to drive one!

• 2 months later...

Having been a useful and fun car to own and drive the Bini may be moving on.

The prospective new owner wants to see it go through an MOT on Wednesday, which I have no issue with. I’ve had a new tyre fitted today as the front arm bush that was worn took its toll.

Once this is out of the way I need to get the Picasso running and moved on as well. Then I need to decide if the Metro gets new sills........watch this space.

• 1 month later...

So, after repairing the Bini with a £10 instrument panel off fleebay, a new tyre, new led high level brake lamp and realignment of the headlamps (I swear they drop when the bonnet closes), a fresh MOT was granted. The new speedo registered 88,300 instead of 147,000 but I’ve left the original with the car and there is direct traceability on the MOT history.

With the new test the car was moved on to a German lad studying business in Cheltenham. I did ask for first refusal when he moves back and sells the car, it is a good steer and a decent spec (not too many around with leather and cruise control).

Picasso to complete now and I have some repair jobs to do on Mrs T’s Scenic.

As for the Bini, its been emotional!