Dollywobbler's Omegawd - Cruisin' (old people can do it too)

dollywobbler

You say bodge, we all know in 6 months time when this turns into a for sale thread there'll be a note about "small leak from fuel pump, keep a rag under it".

What you mean is you've done a permanent fix.

Alas, it is still leaking. Seems to dump a load when you turn it off. Thankfully, he kept it running through the retest...

Oh well. Home now. Feeling a bit deflated, but probably just exhausted! Took me until Wales to realise there is a lumbar adjustment. Then a relay just randomly started clicking. Oh, and it occasionally, it seems to have no power. I can't fathom why. Seconds later, it has power. ALL VAUXHALLS...

The sense of relief is overwhelming. And that is just mine. Am sure yours is even more so!

As for:

"Then a relay just randomly started clicking. Oh, and it occasionally, it seems to have no power. I can't fathom why. Seconds later, it has power."

That will be the Vauxhall Power Relay. (VPR).

Well known for being a bit temperamental on a collection. 😄

Let's get today up to date then. I woke up in a room that contained much finery.

16508074_10154998628623200_2931128450765

Outside, there had been snow.

wp-image-627999972jpg.jpeg

The Omega started disappointingly well. Scarcely a clatter to be heard. I then drove it back to Bristol, where I hoped to find a seal. As reported earlier, this did not happen. However, this did happen! The car jammed itself in Park and wouldn't let go. Google told me secrets. This yellow button is a very useful one. It overrides the transmission lock.

20170211_092628.jpg

I went to Halfords and spent a hideous amount of money on tools of bodgery. Aluminium tape for the exhaust, some magic sealing tape for the pump, and hand wipes so I could clean myself up afterwards. Here's the pump.

20170211_095743.jpg

Diesel seems to seep out of the lid, but the sticky-out bit (where the tamper-proof screw is) frustrated my attempts to seal the joint with tape. I couldn't get tension all the way around. Access is also hideous - much easier if you remove the inlet manifold. I was not about to do that. I would have needed to buy more tools. I went back into the shop, but none of the magic potions looked likely. So, the only solution seemed to be to soak everything in degreaser, wipe it up then plaster the pump with ally tape. So I did this. Then I taped the exhaust and headed back to the test centre. For some reason, I got a proper Sat Nav special, which involved driving up a steep track, with the mirrors an inch from scraping walls each side. Nice!

I know you've been waiting for it, and here it is! Petrol station shot. Actually the second time I've put fuel in. I splashed a bit in yesterday, but was reluctant to overdo it in case things went badly wrong. 

20170211_114411.jpg

On the way back, I saw a good omen. Possibly.

C4ZIKesW8AEnzuO.jpg

Then I got home, just in time to see the first steam train of the season. Great Western indeed!

20170211_151928.jpg

Bonus images!

The bonnet stay. Doobeeeyus struts dot com.

20170210_103315.jpg

This sodding heated seat doesn't work. Check out my fake plastic wood!

20170210_134551.jpg

Based on ten miles of hooning along the A44, mostly uphill.

20170211_152115.jpg

EXECUTIVE. This is before I filled it with all of my detritus. It now looks like a tramp has been living it. Which is dangerously close to the truth...

20170210_095525.jpg

Leaving aside the tribulations of collection, these are bloody good cars. I had a 2.0 petrol version as a company car when they were new and absolutely loved it. I also drove the exact version you've got for about a week and thought it had all the torque that mine was missing.

If it's fully sorted (and yours can be) then it's a really excellent car - is put it up there with an E39 BMW.

Hope you can get it perfect!

[edited to add]

My company Omega was a particularly vile shade of reddy-purple, so for me to remember it fondly despite the HIDEOUS colour must mean it was a bit special.

DW - Sat in comfort it has been a great journey you have taken me on, thanks for that.

I admire the way you have done this, as I would have made it prohibitively expensive for myself by having a transport company move it to a garage to have it fixed. I have not got your guile, energy and confidence.

When I left the Vauxhall dealer my first new Omega was on order two weeks away, so I never got past Carltons.

Great news this is home, I always wanted a funny named Carlton.

That pump doesn't look too bad to do, just find out what the metering screw does first. That way if it does drive different afterwards you know how to adjust it.