Dollywobbler's Omegawd - Cruisin' (old people can do it too)

dollywobbler

Just been past the station and those two trains are at the platform still. Good to meet you and a good job done on the Omega judging by the state of the filters. Had a brainwave though, as it's the driveshaft seals leaking it may be possible to fill up the diff through the driveshaft holes whilst they are out if they are on the same level as the plug?

Last night, it went off twice. Starting at half two in the morning. After the second time, half an hour later, I just left the sodding thing unlocked, reasoning that I'd rather it was stolen than woke up the residents of Earlsdon again. It did not get stolen.

Went off again this afternoon. No idea what it's been up to while I've been at Race Retro. I hate alarms.

Otherwise, it's doing pretty well. I really do like the engine noise. Just not sure about the rest of it...

Check the power sounder in the scuttle.  I think its only role is to sound if the battery is disconnected while the system is in 'armed' mode.  Otherwise, it's only the horn that sounds while the battery is connected.

The point is, the power sounder (if faulty) can trip the whole system, so even if it doesn't make a noise, it can cause the horn to beep and the indicators flash at, um, 2am, for no reason at all.

If the power sounder is still present, disconnect it and try that.  You may need to remove it from the car and throw it into a bucket of water if the nicad battery is still alive.

No car has ever been saved by an alarm. Nobody even associates the sound of an alarm with theft, and even if they did they wouldn't care. I've seen cars being driven with the alarm sounding and nobody even looks. There was talk of making alarms illegal in New York but I don't know if that was ever followed through.

Same with bikes. You need them for insurance on a lot of models, but no-one cares as two blokes lift it into the back of a van & drive off with it anyway.

Remove the connection to the horn. Buy push button and fit to dash. Write HORN and draw a bugle in tippex above it. Wire that to a new horn only connected to that switch and the battery.

We've just had to do that to a '97 Volvo B10M which keeps nomming horn buttons.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wp-1488228818992.jpg

Busy old time for the Omega. It's now 400 miles into this trip, and oil is still leaking from the diff. It left its mark at Silverstone earlier...

I do like it though. My fondness is growing, even if there's frustratingly little storage in the cabin, and the windscreen washers keep getting clogged.

Home sweet home!

C5xkUk9XEAE7Eol.jpg

Gosh I'm knackered. That has been a full-on few days. Throughout, the Omega has proved ideal transport - alarm aside. Driving back into Wales, listening to The Kick Inside by Kate Bush, it was very pleasant indeed. My back did start aching at one point, but I then realised I'd been driving it for three hours without a break. I did one more hour, just for good measure. The weather was absolutely horrible. Stopping was not desirable.

Excellent choice of album  8)

Thanks. Today's albums have been Prodigy's Music for the Jilted Generation, Bat for Lashes, Two Suns, the aforementioned Kate Bush and I'd just got into Air's Moon Safari when I decided I was really tired and needed to pay more attention to driving (ie I'd got back into Wales, it was getting dark and the roads were getting twisty).

I'm really liking the Bose speakers. The stereo does occasionally cut out though. Possibly because of the resistance difference - most stereos are 4 ohm, but the Bose speakers are only 2.

The stereo does occasionally cut out though. Possibly because of the resistance difference - most stereos are 4 ohm, but the Bose speakers are only 2.

I had this in a Saab with my Grundig headunit.  It took me some time to realise that because it wasn't wired to the ignition/accessory feed, it was switching off after an hour.  All the time I thought it was cos I'd had it cranked up too high.  Just a thought. 

I had this in a Saab with my Grundig headunit.  It took me some time to realise that because it wasn't wired to the ignition/accessory feed, it was switching off after an hour.  All the time I thought it was cos I'd had it cranked up too high.  Just a thought. 

It keeps playing the tracks, but just goes silent for a few seconds at a time. DO NOT INTERRUPT KATE BUSH!

Here's another piccie from Silverstone. Chris Frosin, the photographer, also uses BMW power. Only in an actual BMW.

wp-1488315642507.jpg

Omega wins for bootspace, but falls way behind on interior timber quality. It really is quite laughably bad. Interestingly, both cars often don't start first time when warm. You think it's about to fire up, then it doesn't...

Omega also lost points when it came to doing a photoshoot inside the pits. It was pissing various fluids all over the place, so I thought it better to leave it in the car park. The rear diff is now a major priority, and I suspect there's another diesel leak. I can smell it. Not dropping it I don't think, but nor is it keeping all of it fully enclosed.