Dollywobbler's Omegawd - Cruisin' (old people can do it too)

dollywobbler

I've got to say, they were certainly up there among the most helpful of the single-make forums I'd frequented over the years and were never too apocolypto-death about straying too far from approved methods.

That said, it's been nearly 10 years since I had my Omega and all I can really remember is a whole lot of talk about proper 4 wheel alignment including pulling the car down as it's set, and V6 cambelt jobs.

Someone on the forum did suggest that might be freaking out about the non-SL rear spring, though they did it in a sarcastic manner that annoyed me at the time. 

I had a flick through the News and Politics section of Penisheads earlier. The right wing anger there is palpable.

Meant to ask - what does it start like from stone cold (overnight) now that it has a working battery?

A little but lumpy for the first few seconds, but compared to a cold XUD, it's smoother than Sade. I suspect the glow plugs aren't in best condition, as the previous owner gave them two bursts before starting it up on my video. He's also fitted a box that forces the glow plugs to come on for hot starts too - apparently hot starting can sometimes be an issue with these engines? Glow plugs don't look too much of a pain to change.

Service bits have arrived, but I'm fresh out of time for more fettling this week. Too much to do (and it's also raining).

Good job I got a new battery today. Omega was called into action as a friend's Golf had died - the one that began this Caper! Omega dragged it out of the way, returning to the 1990s as it did so.

C5MbbuVWQAEsRkL.jpg

Then I got home, locked the car, and then the alarm went off minutes later. UGH! I HATE car alarms.

I've turned off the ultrasonic bit of the alarm, and all has been quiet for over an hour now... Bet it waits until the small hours of the morning again.

I've also booked it in with Dave Aspley of this parish for a service on Thursday/Friday. I'm off to London, so leaving the car with him for a bit of TLC and that much-needed service.

Then, after a pretty productive day in the office, I thought I'd treat myself to a look through the many, many handbooks.

C5NDH2cWEAA9PW4.jpg

Beautiful! May have a glance through the history next.

I don't have much to add here, other than diesel engine noise envy and to say that I liked your above photo at your mates gaff so much, that I nominated it as a calendar shot.

For some reason, I'm willing you to keep it, as it appears that you quite like it; a rather strange notion regarding someone I've never met!

I do like it. The niggles are annoying me, but more because it's modern technology. I mean, I don't often dabble with cars this modern - it feels a good chunk more modern than the Honda somehow, even though they're both the same age. The Omega has side airbags, pretensioners, electronic fuel control, an on-board computer etc etc. It's not really what I look for in a car, but that noise is rather beguiling, it's easy to drive and there's not a not to dislike.

I wonder if you had a moth inside the car flying about which was triggering the alarm? Glad to hear your mojo for it has arrived at last!

No. I think you'll find that it's because all Vauxhalls...

Tomorrow should be fun. Amber warnings for wind, flooding already closing roads locally. Wonder how high the air intake is?

I wonder if you had a moth inside the car flying about which was triggering the alarm? Glad to hear your mojo for it has arrived at last!

Years ago a mate only stopped his alarm going off at night by sitting in the car for hours & catching a massive spider that came out of the trim & walked over a sensor at the same time the alarm went off every night.

Sometimes the Volvo's alarm would sound in the middle of the night, but only when the weather was very cold. I locked it with the key rather than the blipper and the alarm isn't activated. Dunno if the Omega is the same, they are similar ages.

No, the Omega doesn't have such sensible measures. I don't believe it's possible to disable the alarm unless you simply don't lock it.

Disconnect the horn...

oh wait, that won't work

Find the wire linking the alarm to the horn and either snip it, or connect it up to a little battery powered CD player and load it with bach or beethoven so at least it's not as anti social when it does go off?

Or fit another horn, wire that into the steering wheel buttons only then smash the original (and probably more hardcore wired in) horn to bits with a little hammer so the car still electrically thinks its there?

But then your issue will be the alarm will still go off and kill the battery and you'll never know. My old ZX had that, the sounder had been disabled (it didnt use the horn) but it still sat there flashing the lights and hazards silently. I got around it by not locking it. It's the reason I don't lock the xantia often either, and if I do I use the key, so it doesn't set the ultra reliable* french alarm