1996 Citroën Xantia 4 SAIL FREE OR BEST OFFER

rml2345

1996 Citroen Xantia 'Dimension' 1.8 16V petrol hatch.

If you tuned in last week you'll probably know the score with this but for those listening in black and white I'll do a quick synopsis.

Basically it did 7k mostly trouble free miles for me until developing a misfire and then catching fire above the exhaust back box, which has distorted the boot floor a bit and rather put me off the whole thing. It's also started leaking LHM from the rear somewhere.

There are some good points;

It's very solid for a Xantia with little rot that I can see anywhere.

New Clutch cable.

All spheres replaced in the last 6 months.

Everything works.

Interior is a bit faded but no rips or holes anywhere.

Most of a full tank of petrol in it.

Recent LHM flush and change.

Recent auxiliary drive belt replacement.

MOT until April.

It's still misfiring, garage reckoned it could be ignition coil related or perhaps even plugs but I've not had much chance to check. It can be driven on very light throttle but there's no guarantee you'd make it home without barbequing yourself so perhaps best to bring a trailer or some means of transportation. Can sit on it for a couple of weeks if someone is interested but really need it gone sooner rather than later.

post-4786-0-77128500-1485830540_thumb.jpg

post-4786-0-64886500-1485830721_thumb.jpg

post-4786-0-75806000-1485830785_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested I can take more pics. Car is located in West Lothian within easy reach of the M8 motorway.

Bollocks. I could do with some spares for mine but you're the wrong end of the country.

If by any chance you end up weighing it, would you be willing to courier the two best wheels (if the tyres are decent) and the rear lights (all 4 bits) down to me?

It seems a shame that this might be binned off for a couple of minor jobs. If Adrian gets to the bottom of the miss-fire, the back box could be pulled off, and this it could be gliding happily to a new home. It's a nice motor, I've licked* it.

I think you can adapt the rear suspension cylinders but I'm not sure much else fits. It has the later twin outlet hydraulic pump unique to the Xantia.

Spheres are all good though and it had recent LHM change.

I really should just fix the damn thing as it was a good one but the fire really put me off it and the low value means I would struggle to recoup repair costs for all but the most basic issues.

You offering to help? ;)

Edited to add; That's why it's up for scrap money. I could do the repair but realistically with the fire damage it's worth £150 on a good day and I don't particularly need or want two cars right now.

I really want to help, or something, as it's sad to see an otherwise tidy Xantia go to scrap.

If it was doom blue, I'd already be there ripping the bumpers (at least) off it for my car. However, silver bumpers would look a bit strange on mine.

(cue another Scotsman on here having a go at me for making lame excuses etc. etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure I know what's going to happen next considering the fact you could buy one of the excellent and fully functional Xantias on here for a derisory amount but worth a shot. If this can be of use to someone they're welcome to come and collect it. Will probably need jumped due to sitting for weeksbut other than the missfire should be AOK. Bring a second hand coil thing and chance your luck...

Need to get it shifted though so another week for me to procrastinate about it.