Navigation Rallies - shite cars going the speed limit!

The Moog

• 1 month later...

Had an awesome day again.

a5097631d5e77eb6ab465579e8664e10.jpg

Managed to get my time down from 40 seconds to 34. Something. Insanely pleased, I just need to get a more zen attitude to chase consistency.

eca4d8708abb8ad58dc1b78a16d176ce.jpg

Fastest time of the day was 32.8 so mega pleased with that.

637d97471d3bc1ed3b182cfa642c2fbb.jpg

The next one is in a month's time again at Blackburn.

If anyone fancies trying it out you are more that welcome to come along and share the mx5

As long as you are over 14 you can come and have a go.

The Saturday is more of a practice day with limited numbers and a simpler course. Sunday is a main competition day. You can do both or one if you wish.

I can't recommend it enough as it is all about car control and trying to beat your own time rather than anyone elses.

Cars today ranged from Saab 93 thru Clio 172 to Micra's. Anything is welcome but a smoll car does best.

Even some funky protons. a1814e9242ef7628a772dbae1c677319.jpg

If anyone fancies coming and having a go then just let me know

How would a baleno be at something like this. Would I be mad for considering it?

Obviously leaf would be faster, but...

Baleno would probably be very good. So far have taken part in starlet, puma and mx5.

Spartacus from here did it in his golf.

It isn't hard on the car really as it is more about your driving ability and consistency

This looks like mega fun, and it's nice to see something else interesting happening in Blackburn (my ancestral homeland), I thought I'd only ever go back to watch football.

Are there any others in the midlands and/or south east? Is it run by a club?

They are everywhere

https://www.awmmc.org.uk/championships/autotest-championship

It isn't hard on the car really as it is more about your driving ability and consistency

That's good, I don't have any of that.

No date for the Durham one in August, might chuck them a mail if there's an available car in the near future.

• 4 weeks later...

Autotest prepped by jetwashing the bird poo off the car then driving it fast to dry it out.

Also topped up the washer fluid.

Apparently Steve Berry is commentating tomorrow including doing interviews with the drivers.

it is known as the town of a thousand rainy days ,

rummer has it   this comes from when the church floor was redone and a thousand coffins got dug up .....

the rule in the past..

was if it rained on a funeral , the deceased got a indoor burial .......

as Ormskirk is on the first highest bump just in from the Irish sea rain making machine ..........  it must be true !   and having lived there I can vouch for it !!!

Interesting day today with horizontal rain for most of it.

Some people didn't show up so I think we had 9 people overall. Most cars were shared with more than one driver

3febd4996bb9808c44a5cd280fae415e.jpg

The autosolo was different to normal as it was a winner takes all shoot out with the fastest time taking the prize.

Normally it is a cumulative approach that favours consistency rather than a single wonder lap.

As shown above the venue was the swimming pool carpark with a two lap layout set out for maximum Lols.

Before we started we had to clear a car from the course. Someone had left it there ignoring all the signs so it was put in car skates and cleared off the track.

Just to give you some idea of the order of the day this was a Micra on track

https://youtu.be/3HUZqogTwtE

It was like driving on ice and any attempts to give it large resulted it wheelspin and cars sliding all over the shop.

After the first set of 5 runs, we gathered sodden in the marquee - it was decided that the course would be changed for the afternoon and the two fastest runs added together to find a winner.

At the halfway time I was in second place behind the caterham by 0.2 of a second. The guy in the caterham pretty much wins all the time so was pleased to be in touch.

And this is a caterham in action

https://youtu.be/PlQd1nRnzPM

The afternoon saw the course widened meaning it could be taken faster. My usual style is very fast and furious - trying to get the back out on the car. Instead today I channeled my inner Bucketeer and aimed for smooth as silk driving.

It worked! I turned it around to win the day with a lead of 1.5 seconds.

16cd9daac2230db86d9d8d58d21fccbf.jpg