1997 LDV Pilot KOLLEKTED

Lankytim

As Sherpas are now my favourite thing for the next week or so I've been looking at pitcures of dead ones on google.

Whats going on with the side door on this one? It's reminded me that there's a very dead Sherpa locally to me. I'll have to have a closer look...

That's a standard factory side door, they really did mount them that far back.

There was the early square port 1.9 XUD with 65 bhp, versus the later oval port with a massive 71 bhp. BXs got the upgrade for the 1988 model year, but I have a feeling that maybe the 1.8 N/A engines stuck with square ports all the way.

So maybe PSA were left with massive stocks of the square port heads which they offered to LDV at an irresistible price, or maybe the torque characteristics of the lower powered engine suited lugging a loaded van around. Not that a 1.9 N/A XUD is exactly peaky...

I reckon they were the full blown 71 - though I've got a ZX brochure that reckons it has 68bhp. Could 71 be a PS figure? PS and BHP do get swapped around a great deal. 

That's a standard factory side door, they really did mount them that far back.

Thinking about it, they had to mount the side door that far back, 'cos the Sherpa is a J4 from the B pillar back and J4's had sliding doors that went back within the body. So the side door had to be behind the door pocket.

An accident of history that the Sherpa  carried those pressings over.

post-4930-0-60637000-1485814806_thumb.jpg

This is daft. I bought this as a tatty runabout I could load up with building materials and not really give a hoot about but I'm already looking at getting it mint. I must be stupid/crackers.

Looking about I haven't seen one of these on the road for ages- are they about to become extinct? The vans have certainly seemed to have died out, the most common seem to be the ex mail post buses. 

This is daft. I bought this as a tatty runabout I could load up with building materials and not really give a hoot about but I'm already looking at getting it mint. I must be stupid/crackers.

Looking about I haven't seen one of these on the road for ages- are they about to become extinct? The vans have certainly seemed to have died out, the most common seem to be the ex mail post buses.

I think you are right, Pilots have gone over the tipping point from being common high street litter to being a rare sight, much like smiley Transits. There wasnt a single example for sale on eBay when I looked. I think you've therefore involuntarily become a custodian rather than merely an owner!

I still reckon it wants an XUD turbo putting in, though. Also apparently an Austin A60 diff fits in to give it longer legs. And rover P6/ sd1 stud pattern is the same. Just sayin !

I think FX4 diffs fit too.. and wheels. I recon an turbo XUD would be the way to go as it's just nut and bolt by the looks of it but I get mega wheel spin accelerating out of corners so I'm not sure it would handle the raw power of a turbo... I can't find any examples of people doing this conversion online however..

Remember when all Sherpas had Rover P6 hubcaps on? Maybe I should follow the crowd, albeit 30 years too late.

I think FX4 diffs fit too.. and wheels. I recon an turbo XUD would be the way to go as it's just nut and bolt by the looks of it but I get mega wheel spin accelerating out of corners so I'm not sure it would handle the raw power of a turbo... I can't find any examples of people doing this conversion online however..

Remember when all Sherpas had Rover P6 hubcaps on? Maybe I should follow the crowd, albeit 30 years too late.

I've got a set if you want em..

I was on the LDV forum when I had my LDV 200. XUD turbo swaps have been done. It needs to be a mechanical fuel pump version as on an earlier pug 306, it's a bolt in swop. The only tinkering involves the spigot bearing to mate up with the LDV box and some exhaust manifold modifying. You also need to find somewhere to mount the intercooler. It's one of those swops that's been in my head for years to do one day

MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!

Turn it off man, you'll break the internet with all them watts.

I actually tried to look up what bulb the LOAD SPACE LAMP in a '97 Transit took, just to check out the competition like.

I was expecting it to say a pathetic 10 or 15 watt bulb, but there's no bulb listed.

Maybe '97 Transit man had no LOAD SPACE LAMP at all!

Pow! Take that Ford.

Superb!

Why spend an extra 15p per van to get a steering box that doesn't have more play than Shakespeare? Instead spend £1.45 per van installing a 21w light in the cargo compartment so you can see where all the stock has fallen to after you have failed to negotiate a mini roundabout successfully.

Oh and for maximum joy, fit it right at the end of the load space, so 90% is in lovely dark shadow.

#naeideawhyldvfailed

Tadaaa

Is there only one? I thought mine had another on a black bracket just behind the driver's head.

Please trace the purple wires as they run from front to back along the Cantrail, to see if there is other connectors.

Found my Photo of R293 COJ Sherpa hubcaps clipped on carefully-drilled self-tappers 

post-17975-0-47588700-1486026704_thumb.jpg

The PT cruiser is provisionally sold and this sukka is going on the road this week! It's got a bad water leak into the cab area, I think it's coming through the wiper spindles and is a common fault, they're really loose! Any ideas on a fix?

Also any advice on insuring it for business use?

Aye, when it was stood I saw a load of water pooling round the spindles, I bet there's a drain that needs unclogging somewhere to stop that.

I bet they're a standard Lucas type spindle so they're probably shared with loads of stuff, you can probably buy new spindles or bushes or seals I would imagine.

I need to buy a welder. I can now drive and see the drivers wheel spinning round, plus get a free shower. 

I think i'm going through the five stages of shite.

DENIAL...          Those rusty bits are just "surface"

ANGER...           It's not surface. I'm going to get a Hyundai on finance. Why do I buy 20 yr old motors and expect them not to be rusty. I R LOSER.

BARGAINING....If I tape up some of the holes, fibreglass some others and just ignore the rest, i'll be fine.

ACCEPTANCE...I need to get it all welded up properly.

Do repair panels even exist for these old vans?