1997 LDV Pilot KOLLEKTED

Lankytim

Guest Lord Sward

Hmm. This has got me thinking, I wonder if you could sherpa-ise a Pilot? i.e give it a reverse facelift to make it look older? You'd need the front panel work and detail bits and pieces from a sherpa, and it would be utterly pointless, but still..

I said there was MOGWOG bits on the slidey door models.

I still say this is ex-Fed-Ex.

While tinkering I found this inside, maybe the original user?

16387008_10158212606440436_5475396730545

I work for DHL and we have similar in our lorries to pass to people you side swipe in their people carrier on the motorway etc.

Took the eldest Lanklet out for a spin today and she loved it!

16142360_10158212618310436_4109418735504

I've been on a rust hunt on it today and there are a few bits of corrosion that will require attention with a welder, but nothing structural, MOT tester worrying, or particularly difficult to do. The inside of the wheel arches both sides at the front will need patching and a few little bits behind the sills. It looks like it's been oiled/waxed regularly underneath on the chassis  and floors, unless it's all escaped engine oil. Seems too much of it for that though

The camper conversion is deffo a thought that's crossed my mind. Salvage a rotten Sherpa and transfer the pop-top and interior into this. Dead sherpa campers are much rarer than they used to be though! I don't want to go down the caravan interior route, as they invariably look crap.

Vehicles with beam front axles rarely like being A framed for some reason.

I think it's the steering box that's the problem. They don't like being "pulled" from side to side to steer round corners like when they're going round a rounabout on an A frame. No problem with the weight though. I've framed PT Crusiers and Multiplas with this Multi with no problems and they weigh about the same as a Sherpa.

Wow, I know that van!  When I lived in Bolsover a couple of years ago it would be trundling about on a regular basis, chugging up the big hill into town and generally being a rolling roadblock.  Always made me smile to see it in service with its no frills signwriting.  It's brilliant to see it pop up on here, sounds like the driving experience is exactly what you'd expect from when I'd see it on the move.  I never did get a picture of it, timing was never right, and that strange door set-up was one of the reasons I wanted a snap of it.

CHECK IT.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/1996/10/23/ldv-clinches-65m-business-express-deal/801/

I'm guessing mine could've been one of this lot? Dates match.

Sounds extremely likely. 

I love how the 21 WATT load space lamp is mentioned as a headline feature, any chance of some pics of it's newsworthy glow?

The fleet was supplied with a de-tuned version of the Peuguot engine, as fitted to Royal Mail Vans, making them even slower than standard.

I don't think that could be true, why bother fitting a detuned version? It's not a powerful engine and the economies of scale would make it more expensive.

This van is excellent, I'm rather jealous.

CHECK IT.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/1996/10/23/ldv-clinches-65m-business-express-deal/801/

I'm guessing mine could've been one of this lot? Dates match.

I'm impressed that you found something off the Internet from 21 years ago. I still think of the Internet (that's my phones autocorrect giving it a capital I, not me) as a fairly recent thing. A passing fad, it'll never catch on.

I'm just a postman living in denial.

Sounds extremely likely. 

I love how the 21 WATT load space lamp is mentioned as a headline feature, any chance of some pics of it's newsworthy glow?

Yes, I would be interested to see the picture!

It smacks of the people writing the brochure finding it hard to find features... You get this with hoovers, some £20 POS having such features as a floor tool for hard floors AND carpets, a cable, a bag, a bag indicator and some tools... fuck me cutting edge stuff! Normally next to the TOL model with about a million lines with all of the features missed from the BOL one

I guess 'Business Express' became 'Home Delivery Network' as I am 100% sure HDN also had the flying ducks in bowler hat logo. HDN used to deliver my Mum's Littlewoods stuff. The last HDN vans I remember seeing where LDV Maxus.

It became YODEL according to wikipedia.

I don't think that could be true, why bother fitting a detuned version? It's not a powerful engine and the economies of scale would make it more expensive.

There was the early square port 1.9 XUD with 65 bhp, versus the later oval port with a massive 71 bhp. BXs got the upgrade for the 1988 model year, but I have a feeling that maybe the 1.8 N/A engines stuck with square ports all the way.

So maybe PSA were left with massive stocks of the square port heads which they offered to LDV at an irresistible price, or maybe the torque characteristics of the lower powered engine suited lugging a loaded van around. Not that a 1.9 N/A XUD is exactly peaky...

As Sherpas are now my favourite thing for the next week or so I've been looking at pitcures of dead ones on google.

Whats going on with the side door on this one? It's reminded me that there's a very dead Sherpa locally to me. I'll have to have a closer look...

post-388-0-96788300-1485803133_thumb.jpg

There was the early square port 1.9 XUD with 65 bhp, versus the later oval port with a massive 71 bhp. BXs got the upgrade for the 1988 model year, but I have a feeling that maybe the 1.8 N/A engines stuck with square ports all the way.

So maybe PSA were left with massive stocks of the square port heads which they offered to LDV at an irresistible price, or maybe the torque characteristics of the lower powered engine suited lugging a loaded van around. Not that a 1.9 N/A XUD is exactly peaky...

I'm pretty sure these are 71BHP, that's what they show up as on the insurance when you input the reg anyway. That reminds me, can the manifolds from a XUD with a turbo be bolted straight on to provide TURBO power or is there more to it that that? I know the downpipe would be in the wrong place for a start.

It will bolt up but the turbo engine apparently has a lower compression ratio, you'd need a turbo fuel pump for boost compensation, plus you'd need to drill the block or something to get oil feed and return sorted.

Basically probably much easier to "do a LP" and swap the lot over from a turbo car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=66&t=657360

I think Wuvvum, Dave_Q and I have a fair bit to answer for..

'Have you recently acquired a rare old British commercial vehicle?'

If so, your initial concern should be getting as much BOOST into the fucker as possible.

This is guaranteed to sort* all steering box and kingpin related foibles, along with magicing solid metal into key structural areas.

The whole assess/prioritise/repair game is soo last year

;)