SAAB - WBOD PRICE DROP £295 or £5 a ticket, 12 Months MOT - WEDS DRAW! SOLD OUT!

Guest Hooli

Guest Hooli

Updatings....

The DAB thing is utter shite.

Everything else still works, it's damn good in snow & blizzards. Plus I think it needs brake pads as they feel a little rough through the pedal, I'll check this week & get some for the weekend.

I bought my 9-5 a few months ago but it's currently at my parents as I'm still using the Sharan. Anni right in thinking that mine doesn't have an aux in either? I will have to try some type of workaround as I want to be able to listen to audio books and spotify off my phone. Can you fit an adapter plate to replace the existing stereo with an aftermarket one? I seem to remember reading that it may not be that straightforward.

Guest Hooli

Updatings...

it doesn't need pads, I checked & they are all good. The rough brakes have gone too, so I'm guessing lumps of salt stuck somewhere that have now fallen off.

Have a picture of a filthy car after the impressive chunks of ice frozen on it's sides had dropped off overnight. I should have got a pic of them really, they were about 1" thick and went 3-4" up the wings around the wheel arches when I parked on Bute.

post-20217-0-24376500-1520457614_thumb.jpg

Oh & for those counting, it ticked over 223k on this trip.

Guest Hooli

Did you put a matching alloy on the front to replace the odd one out?

I did, ages ago. I got the alloy for when I had new front tyres fitted. It cured the slow puncture too which turns out to be the alloy not the tyre. The odd alloy is in the boot as a proper spare with a compressor under it, as it goes down in a week still even with a different tyre etc fitted.

Guest Hooli

I'm bidding on one of these at the moment, and this thread has only encouraged me.

One question - they don't have those stupid Vauxhall indicator switches do they? That may genuinely put me off the car.

God no, a proper stalk that actually works.

Guest Hooli

Tonight on the way home this car did something it's never done before.

It spat a load of coolant out so I had a huge steam cloud pouring out from under the bonnet. Then it settled back to working properly & got driven into town where the heater normally packs up as the engine gets hot. The heater stayed warm....

I wonder if it's blown a blockage apart in a pipe & somehow that made it burp? I'll monitor levels etc for a bit & see what happens.

Guest Hooli

Well it's doing it again today, it seems to have a coolant leak near the header tank. I'll investigate better once it's home.

Guest Hooli

That was my first thought tbh, as I couldn't see any damage on the hoses & the wet bonnet is centered around the tank.

Guest Hooli

Updatings!

It's a hose. The hose off the side of the head to the heater to be precise, it's got a tiny hole just where the hose gets smaller after the connector. You can see a spot of water in the pic sitting on the leak, it sprays out when revved & the coolant pressure goes up. With the angle it comes out, it'll hit the wet bit of the bonnet & bounce onto the header tank, hence I saw more water there originally.

So I'd best look on GSF tonight for a hose & check with the local breakers in the morning for prices.

post-20217-0-37562700-1520628601_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. Can you get a bit of universal pipe in the mean time? Or is there enough pipe to cut it a bit shorter?

I suspect it's getting to that age and mileage where the rubber pipes are probably going to start degrading.

Guest Hooli

Nope it's not bad, it's about 1/4" or smaller.

Unfortunately if you remember these hoses get bigger for the connection to the head & it's on the tapered bit so would be a bugger to join & I can't cut it short. Just means I'll have to get wet on the bike till I sort a hose.

Guest Hooli

Oh while sorting out pics from last weekend I found this two on my phone of the lovely conditions on the A69 when i traveled up. There was a fence about 6ft from the road too, which shows how much snow was blowing around. The car was saying -5c at this point around 11am.

I'm rather glad the hose didn't let go on that trip.

post-20217-0-97075300-1520635958_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-76169500-1520635972_thumb.jpg

Guest Hooli

Bodgery achieved!

As no-one appears to admit Saabs ever need hoses (except the link SiC found) I was unable to get a replacement bit today, the local scrapper only has diesel 95s currently and GSF etc don't list anything.

I did manage to find self-amalgamating tape though so after sealing the silly little split with gorilla glue & wrapped it in tape & run the car upto temp for 10mins. It seems to be holding even with the revs held up so the water is pumping faster.

I'll order those silicon hoses but it looks like it's working until they arrive. I might have to invest in the proper tool for the bastidshitwankcunty TM hose clips as trying to get the end off near the bulkhead looks impossible enough without struggling with pilers.

Pitchurs...

The spilt, with fingers for scale

post-20217-0-06410300-1520697678_thumb.jpg

The bodge, the lump in it is the gorilla glue

post-20217-0-38500100-1520697711_thumb.jpg

Guest Hooli

I wasn't sure having never used it before. I couldn't stretch it that far as I had to do it with the hose disconnected due to a lack of space & if i pulled any harder the pipe flexed.

I had to replace one of the hoses when raced at crail in the 2.3 lpt 9-5 estate.

I used gaffer tape then cable ties. But rebuilt hose from self sealing tape.

I think I got a replacement hose from partsforsaabs but this was couple of years back.