Vito bought.. Camper time

Barry Cade

This plan has been on the back burner for a while, but I've made the first step and bought a slightly rusty Vito Traveliner to make a camper for our Euro hauls and Scottish sightseeing. I want to do it right so will be purchasing furniture etc but doing all the donkey work myself.

This is he.

s-l1600.jpg

It looks a bit shonky, but low miles, 1 owner, working Eberspathingy for heat and Air con for cold. Budget is 3k all in for a tidy 2 berth camper with cooker,sink,fridge furniture,curtains etc. I'm looking forward to getting tore in! Stupidly I'm going to have to get a recovery company to pick it up for me even though I have one outside...

There is nothing horrible about that colour,

Once you've colour matched the mirrors and a handful of other arbitrary oddments, added a bit more 'patina' and some 22 inch rims...

It'll put yer average T5 to shame & look Boss - innit.

In all seriousness, if you want me to send you a comp copy of VW Bus T4/5 for 'inspiration', just pm me an address.

Whoohoo. Bloody brilliant. This is what I am aiming to do as well.

Settles back in comfy chair, obtains large bottle of diet beverage, XXL cone of salty popcorn and watches with interest.

Welcome to the world of solar panels, inverters and stealth camping.

I was hoping to go caravan interior but will see....

Thread duly noted. The Transit if it doesn't sell will be getting a removable camper conversion.

Speaking from past experience of AS-specification campers, having the Eberspacher already fitted is a massive bonus.

Finished the last 2 jobs on the 75 today, xenon light self leveller bracket made and fitted, then the unobtanium undertray went on, most of last week was spent fitting combined satnav/DVD/wireless/internet.Mgf is up to mot standard, drives great looks ok and will stay like this..My daily smoker.Decks have been swept, tools all assembled into one pile, many websites visited on Diy campers and window shopping for stuff has begun. £500 bloody quids for a fridge tho..Ouch.

It's going to be westfalia style, kitchen/wardrobe down one side, rock and roll bed, insulated and boarded and curtains added.My work Vito did 265,000 hard miles and still drove well, so this one should do ok with only 72k.. European westfalia style campers always seem to be interesting colours, so this one will look fine when finished I think, not a fan of the yellowing white stained things that 3 or 4 grand get you here. Pop up roof may be added at a later date. Not doing "scene" no alloys,colour coding, checked bonnets,pineapples nor anything involving banded, slammed or dubbed. It will be a van kitted out for camping in, one night at a time off grid.

The true shitters option is to gut a caravan and fit the interior.

True.

Sometimes in life though you just want something nice. Something bespoke, like a pair of shoes that weren't handed down to you. I've done trips where I've slept on benches, in cars and in tents. Now I'd like things to be where I decide and in colours I want. Have I just turned into a snob? See pic of Vito at the top. I work bloody hard and do stupid hours so days off and hols are precious. I want my beer to be cold and my feet warm!! But all for just above a shiters budget.

Oh, and Rustoleum roller painting. Anyone on here done it?

Isn't the English translation for 'Vito' something along the lines of, 'if the body panels don't all drop off with galloping rot, the injectors will lunch proceedings instead?'

Great to see Benz have brought back BL turquoise from the early '70's.

On the flipside, I'd quite like a 'let's fuck off in the van for a while' van, so am automatically jealous.

I've heard loads of folk say the caravan thing but I've never actually seen anyone do it . One of my friends built one out of an old Citroen mini bus and his biggest expense was the electrical system . I don't think he spent a fortune in it but it came out pretty nice.

Fridge = domestic harmony.    No looking/scrounging/walking to get milk.   I gave the stuff up when I was in digs aged 19, however Mrs R. is insistent.    

Even a day out benefits from somewhere to keep the dairy goods chilled, steel vans can get like an oven once they're lined out.   Look forward to seeing progress - there is fella round the corner from me with a Vito that colour - he has weatherboarded his bungalow and painted it the same hue!   He has fitted his van out but also tows an Eriba with it - looks nice.