Seicento SX ! Misery motoring at its finest, now SOLD !

Sigmund Fraud

post-17318-0-86726500-1485168989_thumb.jpg

Regular readers of my blog will know that I impulsively bought this thing back in December 2015. It was meant to be a backup daily car, but the Loopoo has been so reliable that the Seicento's services have not really been needed.

Despite being superfluous, it has remained on the fleet as it has caused me no bother at all ; it's been a paragon of frugality and reliability. It always starts first turn of the key, and (slowly) drives me wherever I want it to. Unfortunately, the ever-increasing insurance prices mean that I can no longer justify keeping it.

So... Let's talk numbers :

- 1999 SX model, luxuriously* equipped : pearlescent paint, sunroof, electric windows, central locking.

- 899cc engine : the ancient Fiat pushrod that doesn't have a cambelt and isn't prone to HGF like the later, FIRE engines. Still good for just under 50MPG.

- 48K miles on the odometer, very presentable despite the odd old giffer/new driver dent.

- MoT until late October 2017.

I would like something in the region of £300 Â£250 for it, and I'm based near Andover in north Hampshire. I can collect prospective buyers from the local bus station, train station or even airport (if you're after an epic collection trip !).

I hired one once, it was great, I found it quite nippy for what it was.

Stood my wife's wheelchair in the back no problem.

When I went to get the chair out she moved her seat back, got the wrong lever and released the seat tipping.

Don't know if they are spring loaded but the seat shot forward, tilted, and trapped her to the dash, her weight held it forward, took ages to get her out.

For that reason only, I'm out.

Don't know if they are spring loaded but the seat shot forward, tilted, and trapped her to the dash, her weight held it forward, took ages to get her out.

For that reason only, I'm out.

They are, indeed, spring loaded and do a marvellous impression of a medieval catapult !

Saying that I'm out though as I hate the color and I want a 500 in words :-)

The colour is the best bit about it : it tells the laydeez you're really confident about your masculinity !

I'm on such a mingebag tip at the mo and I just keep coming back to the idea of this.

Parking permits in my area are done by engine size- this would be £17 versus the £200 I'm paying now for the golf... add in cheap insurance and I'm sooo tempted... izzit brutal on the motorway?

If you're after cheap, reliable motoring, this is the car for you. It's cheaper than walking, man !

It's much better on the motorway than you would expect. Fifth gear is reasonably short, so you can safely overtake HGVs, but don't expect to be tailgating 320d's in the fast lane. Despite being a light, tinny car, it actually has some soundproofing, so your ears won't bleed. Seat and suspension comfort is acceptable ; I've done two hour motorway trips with no issues but you won't be using it for continental trips unless you're a bit of a masochist.

You're welcome to pop round for a test drive, if you want to make sure you can live with it.

Weekend bump for this Italian* thoroughbred*.

I hope a fellow 'shitter makes me a sensible offer, otherwise I'll have to go down the Scumtree/evilbay route...

I also forgot to mention that I would consider "part-exchanges", but they would have to be pre-1996 (because classic insurance).

I had a nearly new Sporting variant forced upon me in 2001 when I blew the gearbox to bits in my P11 Primera, and Reg Vardy had no K11 Micra courtesy cars.

That thing was amazing. Ran on fresh air, was an eager little bugger and didn't mind* driving down steps, through bollards and over foot bridges.

A few years back, I bought another Sporting, and it too was riot in a go-kart with a roof. I am a big fan.

GLWTS!