The £250 Zafira B - Fin. Bean can time!

beko1987

It is counting down to something, saw it pop up with the keys in the ignition, didn't pay it any attention though.

It'll get a decent amount of pez in it tomorrow too, it;s payday! Amy put a tenner in and has done 48 miles, with 49 to go according to the screen. She likes it alot, after driving the meriva to work and back today I can see why!

I only asked about the middle seats incase they had one for like £50 to save me washing our one!

Front bumper and both grilles mainly.

Possibly a set of wheels, but that's not urgent as the tyres are all excellent so they will be worn down before I change anyway

middle row fag lighter as Eva is getting to the age where she will want to charge her tablet on long trips, plus the blanking plate is missing so there is a hole

Drivers side air vent, which is cracked, although I could glue it

The foldable triangle and first aid kit to go in the holes for them in the tailgate

The adapters for the compressor, just because their missing

The cig lighter for the front as it's missing (the 12v socket is there, just no cover/lighter, it's probably just a cover isnt it)

1 middle row seatbelt buckle housing (broken tabs is fine, they seem to tape together well)

Nothing properly urgent other than the bumper really, everything else was just what I have seen to be missing, it doesn't bug me that it's not there though

Rather than source trim from a scrapped car, here's my advice, enquirer at a local Vauxhall dealer for the correct parts for your car, you will be VERY surprised just how reasonably priced daft bits of trim like you've mentioned are.

Warning triangle and first aid kit aren't all that expensive from Vauxhall either and you'll struggle to find them 2nd hand because Vauxhall provided the spaces for them in the boot but they were extra cost in every model so hardly anyone bought them when buying the car New.

You could probably replace the from 12v socket in the compartment underneath the handbrake with the proper cig lighter socket and cig lighter as well (the flap over the 12v sockets in this shape of Astra/Zafira are very fragile and will probably just break again, pretty much every one I've ever seen has been broken because of the daft way it's attached with some sort of flimsy spring mechanism.

The grilles aren't mega expensive New either, although the top one comes separately to the chrome V and griffin emblem so you'd have to carefully remove them from your existing grille without damaging the clips.

Middle row seatbelt will be the only expensive thing New as I don't think they sell the black plastic casings which are missing/damaged on yours separately.

Is the bumper actually damaged or just the add on splitter?

As for the wheels, seriously, get the existing ones refurbed/repaired, probably just as cheap as a 2nd hand set of wheels, those ones you have are probably the best looking wheels Vauxhall ever made, and anything smaller than the existing 18" ones will look diddy and too small for the car because of the XP kit fitted to your car.

Looks like your brother in law and sister in law haven't looked after this car well at all.

Meant to add, cruise control is an easy upgrade on these if that floats your boat, just the cost of a new indicator stalk with the cruise buttons on it, find someone local with a tech 2, speak nice to them and get them to activate the cruise, simple as that, no other parts required or messing around adding wires etc. Even the clutch switch should already be fitted with it being the VVT Z18XER engine

Clean it,fix the bumper with cable ties . Glue what you can and go to the scrappies and spend 5 quid getting all the little bits you need.

If you need alloys get a set off gumtree with decent tyres.  Spend as little as possible to the get as much gain as possible for looks and save your money for spending on important stuff like making sure it's reliable.

Oh, I almost forgot 2 very important websites:

www.genuinepartsearch.co.uk

It's run by autovaux (well known and regarded Vauxhall parts company) and is basically a portal for dealers to sell of surplus stock they've got clogging up their parts departments at discounted prices, items usually dispatched directly from the dealer themself. Only drawback is you need to know the part numbers of the items you are looking for.

www.carpartsconnexion.co.uk

Similar thing, website for Vauxhall dealers to sell of new old stock parts at big discounts, you find the part you want and either enquiry online or call dealer directly, mention you saw a part on that site, quote the price and part number and they tell you if it's still in stock and organise payment and postage, sometimes the item has already sold but I've had several bargains on that site.

I had a look this morning in daylight whilst I had a rolly before coming to work (cant/won't smoke in a pool car) and and I reckon the bumper is actually fine, and it's the splitter. Amys bil just went ott with the gaffa tape I think

How is the splitter held on? If I can take it off, stick it together with fibreglass /gaffa tape/qbond/spit and reattach it that might sort it.

Ordered some well sick mods blud for the zaffy...

Pair of Insignia fan washer jets for £4.50! The jets on the car are crap, 2 of the individual jets are loose now I've removed the crust from them, so spin around quite comically when washing. Nearly ordered a middle row 12v socket too but that was too expensive/frivolous, plus I should check that the wiring is there before spunking out £10 whole quid on the 12v socket and retaining ring part

Also ordered myself a phone holder for the Xantia, need to either find a brodit proclip mount now or just screw it to the dashboard somewhere! Will have a play when it arrives

Still sounds cheap at £1500 when you've just paid out nearly £400 for a bumper.

Anyway didn't know they came with a compressor, will be on the look out at the scrappers next time.

It's even easier than you thought, as the compressor isn't hard wired in. You rotate some flimsy plastic cover, and pull a 12v cable and plug out to plug into the 12v socket that sits underneath it! So if you find one at a scrappy, crowbar the rear side trim off and the whole unit lifts out! No idea if it comes out of it's polystyrene type housing, but it probably does!

A few years ago, amys lovely* nephew jammed something in the cd player causing it to not work anymore. Amy moaned the other day that she was bored of the radio, so I had a look earlier

post-5612-0-92281500-1485694726_thumb.jpg

I tried to Google how to take it apart but all I could find was chavs saying to rip the front off and put some banging leds bruv in, so I got into Hoover mode and just undid screws...

post-5612-0-04771900-1485694861_thumb.jpg

Mmm nothing under here, let's take this pcb out (2 metal tabs need popping out as the side of the case is the heatsink for the mofsets and thermal fuse

post-5612-0-83886200-1485694917_thumb.jpg

Aha, cd player, how quaint

post-5612-0-86906400-1485694944_thumb.jpg

The chavs were right though, the facia does have to come off, however it's alot less destructive to flick the tabs from back here

post-5612-0-70008900-1485695001_thumb.jpg

Aha, there's the problem

post-5612-0-41556400-1485695033_thumb.jpg

I pushed the heart out from behind, 5hen had to do the same with the cd as it had been pushed out from the holding rail

post-5612-0-75113300-1485695080_thumb.jpg

All went back together nicely, and there was even a screw left to confirm the job was done properly...

post-5612-0-55254700-1485695161_thumb.jpg

I plugged it back in, but didn't fit it yet and tested it. It took a disc, but gave cd error and spat it back out again...

post-5612-0-03012400-1485695210_thumb.jpg

Some more googling revealed that the faceplate has to be back on properly to make a sensor work or something, so I gave it a smack, and tried again and it worked! So I pushed it properly in, got the cd's out of the meriva, found a Dream Theater one and thoroughly tested everything and set the sound up nicely

post-5612-0-20358200-1485695291_thumb.jpg

Done. That will do for a few months until I spend out on a fascia adapter to make it single din, the Connects2 adapter to make the jvc work and the jvc patch cable to make the steering wheel controls work.

Its got just under half a tank in too and says there's only 117 miles left... Hope it's still readjusting to not being ragged about, I think all the averages need resetting

Thanks! I'm hopefully getting a bit of money this week, if I do I'll lob it in for an mot at Mr clutch one lunchtime, and drive it for the first time!

Id best check the tax too, the v5 hasn't come back yet and I've not done a thing about it...

The distance to empty only takes the average mpg from the last 30-40 miles rather than the whole tank, so ragging it makes it read low for a bit until that bit of low economy disappears out of the memory.

That would make sense then, I doubt it's done 40 miles since we bought it.

V5 turned up today, amys sister bought it in 2009,we are the 3rd owner. I'd best tax it later... Shame it's not the 1st tomorrow but I probably shouldn't take the piss

That's what the xantia had, I'm hoping it's still valid!

Excellent. I use the Mr Clutch in Kingston for my MOTs, when you're booked in (and you have to be booked in, they're always busy) they pretty much take your car in bang on time. The service manager there is a really good chap and watching them test the car (the ramps they use for test are right next to the waiting room) you can see they're thorough but fair. I've been going there for almost 4 years and the staff haven't changed.

I often go into the workshop to have a look under the car while it's up in the air, they don't mind as long as you ask first. For the £27/£28 they charge when you get the voucher off their website/in the post, its not bad at all.

I used to use a place when I lived in SE London, over in Dartford near my in-laws - a garage called Dynes, who did £25 MOTs. They were much the same - turned around loads of MOTs and had a policy of replacing any blown bulbs that would be an MOT fail, FOC. The Mondeo failed on a corroded side repeater a few years back (bulb was ok but water had corroded the contacts). Went back for a retest once fixed with a scrappy part, job done.

Well done on the CD player fix!