The £250 Zafira B - Fin. Bean can time!

beko1987

Nashua tape is very good and is the go to tape on TV/film work, an industry which at times almost runs on the stuff. Not cheap but buy shite, buy twice!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nashua-100-MPH-US-Army-Military-Tough-Heavy-Duty-Waterproof-Gaffa-Duct-Tape-55m-/191651850972?var=&hash=item2c9f572adc:m:mEVN8rCtJnZwFRDULX_AMFQ

Anyway, mucky interior, kerbed wheels and buggered bumper aside, what a bargain! Hope it serves you well.

I'm not intentionally trying to be nosey but just how did you get it so cheap? even in that state, up here in Scotland some pikeys would be advertising a car like that at 10 times that price.

Nose away old chap! It was Amys sisters car. Rob (BIL) has had a company van for years, so this was Amanda (the sister's) car. She got a company car in september though (we heard mutterings about it back then tbh). Eventually it was only being used for tip runs and taking amys mums dog out for walks, and from december wasn't used at all.

So they were paying tax and insurance to keep it on the road (no driveway), and they know in it's current state it's gonna be hard to sell, and that we had been thinking about a bigger car so said fuck it, have it and pay us £50 a month or something. They've cancelled their insurance completely now, so their quids in before we have started paying them.

I'm happy with it as they've not had a spot of bother with it since I've known them (bar things they've done like the alloy etc). It's been abroad a bit, was taken from chinnor to blackpool twice in one weekend and only needed a bit of oil to top it up as all ecotec engines seem to, so it's sound. (hopefully, if not it's our problem now!)

yeah if you cant seen the fabric through the back woven its knock off but screwfix toolstation b and q all do the real stuff

i gaffa taped two 20l petrol cans to a bike and rode to surrey with them and they never moved at legal cough speeds

Nose away old chap! It was Amys sisters car. Rob (BIL) has had a company van for years, so this was Amanda (the sister's) car. She got a company car in september though (we heard mutterings about it back then tbh). Eventually it was only being used for tip runs and taking amys mums dog out for walks, and from december wasn't used at all.

So they were paying tax and insurance to keep it on the road (no driveway), and they know in it's current state it's gonna be hard to sell, and that we had been thinking about a bigger car so said fuck it, have it and pay us £50 a month or something. They've cancelled their insurance completely now, so their quids in before we have started paying them.

I'm happy with it as they've not had a spot of bother with it since I've known them (bar things they've done like the alloy etc). It's been abroad a bit, was taken from chinnor to blackpool twice in one weekend and only needed a bit of oil to top it up as all ecotec engines seem to, so it's sound. (hopefully, if not it's our problem now!)

You'll be used to that with a 1.6 Meriva!! Petrol Vauxhalls are fairly robust, but as you say they all burn oil, that's the only thing I don't really miss about them, my brand new 15 plate Corsa 1.4 VVT Ecoflex engine burned oil from New as well, Vauxhall say the engine using 1litre of oil per every 1000milea driven is within spec but I think that's a fucking joke tbh. Will be piston rings or valve stem seals, I don't know what mileage is on the Zaf but my 1.6 16v Z16XE mk4 Astra and 1.8 16v Z18XE Astra mk5 (same engine block as your Zafira minus the VVT gubbins) were both pretty bad by 65K miles.

The Astra H had a light on the dash (an amber oil can with squiggles under it, not the red oil pressure light) which would come on 10 miles Ito every motorway journey but you could do 500miles in it on A and B roads and it'd never come on, must've been related to a constant speed for a certain period of time bring that light on which according to the manual was a low oil warning light, it used to drive me crazy, especially when I think the 1.8 takes 4.5L of oil and the difference between min and max on the dipstick was a litre and it always had one notch on the dipstick, total of 5 on the dipstick so obviously each represent 200ml so it had 3.7L of oil always, so it wasn't what I'd class as being low on oil, weird thing as well was if you topped it up with another 800ml of oil back to max 4.5L it would very quickly drop back down to 3.7L but would never fall below that, even after 10000 miles. So for some reason it'd burn 800ml very quickly then stop after that, I wasn't keen to get it fixed as I doubt despite the expense of a rebuild it would've sorted it and I'd just paid a lot of money for proper genuine Vauxhall timing belt kit, water pump, full service using genuine parts and various new engine pipes, air intakes, air con pipes and regas, coolant flush and change etc

Oh I'm very used to the oil light, it's on in the meriva right now, which burns 1-1.2l every 1000 miles. I use that as my oil change countdown, every 8 top ups is a full change with filter. Which is due now... Not sure if I'll do it before selling it though

Apparently with the Zafira, amys sisters husband had to go to blackpool when his mum was dying, then back to chinnor to get his sister quick sharp, then back to blackpool, then back home again in a weekend. So a fair old trip, some of it very fast and he said it needed a litre then, which seems about right.

Meriva is on 94k ow, we have had it since 48k and it's always done it. Zafira is on 118k I think and I'm expecting the same routine on it too.

Gnomeotoole who commented above (my boss) had a vectra b with the same engine (albeit not ecotec) and it liked a top up of oil every now and then too, but he did drive it full bore everywhere because it was quite rapid.

It was a thing on the Z16XE in the Astra G we had too (that Phil on here has). That wasn't too bad though, like 0.5l in 3k to 4k iirc. TADIS. Even my local garage warned me when they MOT it and I was chatting about them.

Doesn't seem to affect the emissions or nowt though. Proper GM spec oil is cheap too.

No the meriva never really blows out smoke (apart from earlier when I took it above 4k for probably the first time in 20k...).does get a bit chatty under the bonnet when it's low though. I just throw whatever euro car parts sell under the reg number in it, normally valvolene but once it had shell helix cos it was cheap.

Wondering what to do re the oil in the Zafira. The xantia needs an oil change the second I can afford it, which will be the end of March. The oil in the Zafira looks clean, but I need to eye up the filter and see how shit that looks. I'd like to get the oil changes in sync, so could change both, but tbh I might to the xantia now, then do it again and the Zafira in August, then do them every 6 months after that. God new fleet members are a pain!

Oh, to save me looking in the manual does anyone know what grade oil it needs? I thing it's the x18xe engine, but I don't really know! The meriva and the xantia used the same grade oil which was handy...

I've never paid that any attention in the meriva cos I service it much more regularly than the counter. It came on 4 weeks after its last oil change and I finally reset it about 2 months ago... Dunno what the Zafira will do with its modern sensors and other gumph.

O yea, I emailed ASM, our local vehicle dismantlers (no nice scrapyards around here) with some parts I thought of off the top of my head...

"Hi,

No bumper or triangle and first aid kit I’m afraid.

We can do a center lower bumper grill for £30.00 inc Vat – a 12v socket for £14.40 inc Vat and a center row of seats for £180.00 inc Vat"

Thanks but no ta! I'll stick to gaffa tape, cable ties and some thoughtful application of the two for now, and shampoo the seats when the weather improves...

The Zafira will probably be the same as the Meriva and put "INSP" on the dash where the mileage display is when it needs serviced, that's what my Corsa C, Astra G and H used to do.

Trade Club is still going and is handy because the GM genuine oil is pricey from dealers but on Trade Club it's about £20 for 5litres, it will need 5w30 Dexos 2, think the grade is something like GM-LL-025-A or B from memory. Filters are cheap on trade Club too, about £4/5 each for an oil filter, £10ish for an air filter. Need to obviously be in the trade to get it or join a Vauxhall owners Club site who offer trade Club membership as part of the website membership, will probably cost £10/15 to join the owners Club but the money you save on parts will cover the cost of that and more too. Trade Club means trade price on not just consumables but most mechanical components, sensors, lighting units, it's an absolutely brilliant thing if you own a Vauxhall and want to maintain it properly with quality parts as the discounts are massive.