The £250 Zafira B - Fin. Bean can time!

beko1987

Beko I found a link earlier that says something about certain JVC stereos using a different patch lead if they are specific models to the 3.5mm jack plug that they normally use.

I'll see if I can find it, but being honest I didn't realise yours had a separate Bluetooth module, all the Bluetooth equipped aftermarket stereos I've ever seen have it built in.

I know it's for an Alfa but this might explain a way to have steering wheel controls working whilst leaving the 3.5mm jack plug on the stereo free for the Bluetooth module on the same stereo as yours

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-andamp-blueandamp-me/313770-jvc-connects2-wiring.html#/topics/313770?page=1&_k=cfsy21

Ps steering wheel button functions are: left side: scroll wheel scrolls through all trip computer displays like range, average speed, average mph, instantaneous mpg, stop watch, pressing this in rather than scrolling it resets the values of the computer displays, top left button is the source button so changes between radio, cd, aux etc. (Not sure if even with working SWCs on an aftermarket head unit if it will change source on it like it does with original CD30 stereo) and bottom left button accesses phone menu, accepts and ends calls etc if it's fitted, what that button does on a car without factory phone/Bluetooth I can't remember from my Astra. Possibly a mute button?

The right hand side buttons you already know what they do.

The radio is the can gateway on that I think . The radio certainly has to be on to communicate on tech 2 when you have the Candi module on .

Candi connects the Tech2 directly to the CAN bus, so the Tech2 shouldn't need a gateway.

Can't you just ignore the moanings on the Tech2 like you do on Saabs when you have the radio disconnected.

I know it's for an Alfa but this might explain a way to have steering wheel controls working whilst leaving the 3.5mm jack plug on the stereo free for the Bluetooth module on the same stereo as yours

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-andamp-blueandamp-me/313770-jvc-connects2-wiring.html#/topics/313770?page=1&_k=cfsy21

Confirmation!

Plan a will work then, if Amy wants to spend out £50! Thanks all

Confirmation!

Plan a will work then, if Amy wants to spend out £50! Thanks all

You're welcome!

Doing all that digging reminded me of how easy it is to fit add one to this era of Vauxhalls, such as cruise control, (swap stalk, change programming) change programming for anti-hijack (doors auto lock above 5mph) and check control (Astras and Zafiras with trip computers like yours has used to automatically always come with check control because you either had both or none at all until Vauxhall decided to do their favourite pastime and penny pinch, so they removed the level sensors for low coolant and low screen wash so you don't get a warning these are low with check control enabled but I'm fairly sure you still get low oil level and bulb failure warnings on dash just by enabling it, handy for brake light, reverse light, rear fog light and tail light bulbs and side light bulbs blowing)

It's amazing how much can be altered to work on these just by playing about with settings on tech2 or Opcom. I believe you can also play about with selective door unlocking, headlights on when you unlock, and maybe even stuff like alarm volume.

As for wheels, minimum size Zaf B alloys were 16" but I wouldn't go any lower than 17" because that's what the SRi is set up for, and if I'm not talking rubbish they had modified suspension slightly for the bigger wheels, I definitely remember seeing some component for the Astra and Zaf that said "for use with 17"+ wheels) and also the wheels of smaller than that will look too small and lost in the arches because of the XP kit on yours, 17" OEM SRi wheels should be cheap and easy enough to find, and I believe standard tyre size is 225/45/17 on them which is the same as my Jetta and I know from loads of research that even premium brand tyres from the big fast fit chains can be had for reasonable prices in that size (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s for example are £81 each fully fitted with all the usual valve, balance, nitrogen inflation etc included)

That was on my mind, I don't want t to rule out any tech2 fun by getting rid of its brain!

If the tyre is quite common Ill have a look round and see what's what, it doesnt bother me having one random alloy, it's the only thing that means I can post about it on here! I might even get the penta repaired, I presume I shouldn't set about it with a hammer?

That was on my mind, I don't want t to rule out any tech2 fun by getting rid of its brain!

If the tyre is quite common Ill have a look round and see what's what, it doesnt bother me having one random alloy, it's the only thing that means I can post about it on here! I might even get the penta repaired, I presume I shouldn't set about it with a hammer?

Probably a waste of time, I took one of my dads alloys to a wheel refurb place to get repaired and it still wasn't 100% and never will be, it kept slowly losing air and the tyre wore quicker on the inside edge than the rest of the tyre.

225/45/17 are used on everything. I know just off hand that it's standard size for my Civic, 9-5 & 9-3, Vectra C, v70, golf mk5, etc, etc

Not early vectras, my wife's old 03 plater had 205/60/16s on it and the active she has now on a 53 is on 215/50/17. Not sure of sporting or upmarket models though.

My dads 54 plate Vectra was 215/55/16 from new. My 05 plate Astra H was 205/55/16 same as Zaf Bs with 16s, Astra J were 225/50/17 I think but at some point on the Astra J changed to 215/50/17 for some reason. Insignias are 225/55/17.

215/50/17 is the size on my dads 63 plate Mondeo and I know from checking for tyre prices that these are quite expensive, compared with the 225/45/17. I think it's around £105+ for a Goodyear Efficient Grip in that size so at least £20-odd more expensive than the same tyre in 225/45/17

Not early vectras, my wife's old 03 plater had 205/60/16s on it and the active she has now on a 53 is on 215/50/17. Not sure of sporting or upmarket models though.

Saab had 215/50/17 on the very, very early cars and then changed to 225/45/17. Iirc, the alloys themselves can take either. Obviously shouldn't mix the sizes as a set though.

Beko these look good for the money:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-VECTRA-SRI-5-STUD-ALLOY-WHEELS-7JX17-/272566621756?hash=item3f763c963c%3Ag%3ABesAAOSwTuJYrwFS&_trkparms=pageci%253A641b3491-fee1-11e6-933a-74dbd180b5e7%257Cparentrq%253A8c79aa8d15a0a356d43652e9ffe67258%257Ciid%253A4

The Pentas and 1x VXR wheel should fetch you around £350, there's loads of absolutely fucked sets of Pentas on eBay for upwards of £250 with goosed tyres and kerbed to buggery.

If it were my car I'd fix or replace the Penta and sell the VXR wheel (one on its own which is wrecked currently at £88 plus postage) to fund it. IMO the Pentas are the nicest wheels for an Astra or Zafira and really make the exterior. However this is autoshite so downsizing to the standard SRi 17s is the autoshite way and wouldn't totally wreck the look like some wheels would.

BTW current shape Vauxhall Meriva wheels fit, but Astra J, Zafira Tourer and Insignia wheels don't as far as I'm aware. All other Vauxhall wheels fit too as long as they are 5 stud as they all share PCD and centre bore sizes.

• 4 weeks later...

So this is plodding on, and apart from getting a nail in the tyre has had nothing do to it.

However, the cd30 stopped producing music. It worked, but no sound emerged. So I bought a cheap fitting kit

post-5612-0-86896200-1490732478_thumb.jpg

And as darkness started falling, had a go at fitting the jvc back in.

Reading forums, apparently the only switched live on the car lives in the fag lighter loom, and takes the light up ring if the car has the smokers pack fitted.

post-5612-0-07165100-1490732553_thumb.jpg

There it is!

I took the vauxhall unit out, and did a test run. 15 minutes of head scratching ensued before I remembered I needed to connect the Bluetooth dongle to the wires to make the connection. I twisted it all together and

post-5612-0-68267200-1490732622_thumb.jpg

It lives! I ripped the dashboard apart to turn the switched live lead down to the ciggy lighter

post-5612-0-25388300-1490732695_thumb.jpg

And sadly didn't have a nice spade terminal so chopped and crimped it together

post-5612-0-78888000-1490732736_thumb.jpg

Wrapped up the 4 miles of cable and stuffed it behind the dash to the right, and fitted the shit faceplate

post-5612-0-98448500-1490732795_thumb.jpg

Done! Sound is back. I'll set it all up later, I got told off for taking so long, and resisted the urge to be childish and take a hammer to the dashboard so came in and did the washing up... Hopefully it'll catch fire when it's just amy in there or something.

Just been back out to set the unit up, turn off demo mode and other button pushing, and the cars computer still works! The screen still does what it used to, bar the audio stuff. Glad I didn't bother spending out on the expensive canbus adapter now!

It also sounds much better, even through the stock speakers. Hope the new head unit I want for the gooner is this simple!

Ah no thanks, I had an Aldi head unit and didn't think much of it. Mine kept dropping the fm signal, I think Dean numbers smashed it with a hammer in the end!

Ive found a few on ebay to watch, some on auction so may get a bargain. Want the jvc from the gooner back?

Right, so the Zafira thanked me for fitting a new radio by cracking one of the alloys, resulting in a slow puncture...

Reading people's comments above, will 17" vectra alloys deffo fit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-VAUXHALL-VECTRA-17-INCH-ALLOY-WHEELS-215-50-17-TYRES-OP027K3-/401296884947?hash=item5d6f2884d3:g:bKwAAOSwYXVYy~Nh

Only up the road... Then I'll sell the good penta's to try and make some money back

Ah no thanks, I had an Aldi head unit and didn't think much of it. Mine kept dropping the fm signal, I think Dean numbers smashed it with a hammer in the end!

Ive found a few on ebay to watch, some on auction so may get a bargain. Want the jvc from the gooner back?

Never smashed it! its the cupboard somewhere waiting to stitch up a mate who wants a bluetooth stereo!

Right, so the Zafira thanked me for fitting a new radio by cracking one of the alloys, resulting in a slow puncture...

Reading people's comments above, will 17" vectra alloys deffo fit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-VAUXHALL-VECTRA-17-INCH-ALLOY-WHEELS-215-50-17-TYRES-OP027K3-/401296884947?hash=item5d6f2884d3:g:bKwAAOSwYXVYy~Nh

Only up the road... Then I'll sell the good penta's to try and make some money back

I can't see why not to be honest, they will have the correct offset. They look a bit more substantial than the Pentax's as well.

Hopeful then!

I had to go and rescue her in the end, Charlie was screaming, her phone was on 12%, she told me the name of the closed pub she was parked at and I shot off. The gooner gets up the road if you make it! I then pumped it up to god knows what PSI (3.5 bar) and followed her, keeping an eye on the wheel. 3 pump ups in 9 miles later we got home, and I came back to work.

The alloy wheel bloke said it was a non genuine alloy too (this is the one that does not match the penta's), and refused to weld it (understandable). Amy then asked why didn't I just buy another penta, but at £90 a wheel average delivered, for £30 more I can get a matching set, in better condition with OK tyres. Tempted to keep the best tyre and penta in a bin liner down the side of the shed as a spare, and ebay the other 2, and take the 2 broken ones up the tip. Sadly the tyres are the same price for 17s or 18s, so meh, no win there.

I've emailed the seller of the wheels I linked to above asking if they had any other sets, and would they take part ex on all the wheels I have (their a scrapyard after all), so I'll see what happens there, but if not, I'll bid on that listing tomorrow and see what happens!

Those Vectra wheels will definitely fit, they are just a larger version of the same wheels that came on Design and Elite spec Zafiras of the same age as yours.

Tyres should be 225/45/17 on a Zafira, those Vectra ones are 215/50/17 but should be ok.

You could even go down to 16" wheels for cheaper tyres and comfier ride, all Zafiras except SRi, XP and VXR had standard 16s. 205/55/16 tyres I think.

Don't you have 3 undamaged Pentas? The one originally on the car I remember reading was buckled, then the VXR style replacement is now cracked from what you're saying but that still leaves the other 3 in kerbed but straight condition.

I went for 17's after reading your post earlier on in the thread "As for wheels, minimum size Zaf B alloys were 16" but I wouldn't go any lower than 17" because that's what the SRi is set up for, and if I'm not talking rubbish they had modified suspension slightly for the bigger wheels,"

But, having had a quick look on ebay for 16", the 17" set I found is much better than what I can get locally in 16's.

Wheel wise I now have:

One buckled Penta (heavily kerbed)

One cracked arsehole of a fake VXR with a brand new cheap tyre (heavily kerbed)

3 fine Penta's (heavily kerbed) with good tyres all round.

4 better wheels would smarten the car up a bit, really not fussed if their penta's or not, if someone offered me a set of steelies for £50 I'd snap their hand off! I only have Saturday to sort this, as I'm off out saturday night and all of Sunday, so if I win this set tomorrow night, I can be at the place saturday lunchtime and get them fitted in half an hour