The £250 Zafira B - Fin. Bean can time!

beko1987

I think this has done alot of shirt journeys. A few long ones, but that was the minority. God knows what state it would be in if it was the 1.9cdti!

If it was a 1.9 CDTi it would either be scrap by now or would've had a fortune spent on it by your Mrs' sister replacing clutch and DMF, EGR valve, alternator, inlet manifold swirl flaps, and possibly the gearbox too if the 1.9 CDTi Zafira runs the M32 box the Astra 1.9s have.

Every 1.9 ive ever had personal experience of be it work cars, family members cars, friends cars, even neighbours cars have been utter wank, constant issues and big bills. The engines themselves are decent, its all the ancillaries and bolt on bits on them that cause problems.

If it was a 1.9 CDTi it would either be scrap by now or would've had a fortune spent on it by your Mrs' sister replacing clutch and DMF, EGR valve, alternator, inlet manifold swirl flaps, and possibly the gearbox too if the 1.9 CDTi Zafira runs the M32 box the Astra 1.9s have.

Every 1.9 ive ever had personal experience of be it work cars, family members cars, friends cars, even neighbours cars have been utter wank, constant issues and big bills. The engines themselves are decent, its all the ancillaries and bolt on bits on them that cause problems.

At least they're easy bits to bolt off and on though. Clutch+DMF common on most modern diesels - unlike the Mondeo though, you can ignore it until it becomes unbearable. EGR easy enough to clean and replacements are cheap enough - 150bhp ones are the easiest. Swirl flaps are almost always the rod falling off and you can get cheap replacement attachment kits. On my Saab 9-3 I replaced mine with number plates caps glued on the bottom. Unlike BMW diesels, these swirl flaps almost never come adrift and sucked in the engine.

Gearbox can have issues, but gear selection + centering issues can be fixed with a repair kit. If bearing is going and whining, if caught before the box implodes it's reasonably cheap to be fixed by a garage.

Tbh, most of the issues on the 1.9 engine can be fixed DIY reasonably easily. They are pretty lively and smooth lumps for diesels too.

At least they're easy bits to bolt off and on though. Clutch+DMF common on most modern diesels - unlike the Mondeo though, you can ignore it until it becomes unbearable. EGR easy enough to clean and replacements are cheap enough - 150bhp ones are the easiest. Swirl flaps are almost always the rod falling off and you can get cheap replacement attachment kits. On my Saab 9-3 I replaced mine with number plates caps glued on the bottom. Unlike BMW diesels, these swirl flaps almost never come adrift and sucked in the engine.

Gearbox can have issues, but gear selection + centering issues can be fixed with a repair kit. If bearing is going and whining, if caught before the box implodes it's reasonably cheap to be fixed by a garage.

Tbh, most of the issues on the 1.9 engine can be fixed DIY reasonably easily. They are pretty lively and smooth lumps for diesels too.

Why cant you ignore the clutch and DMF on a Mondeo out of interest?

Oddly my old man had a Vectra C 2.0 DTi which shat its clutch and DMF at 140,000 miles-ish and unlike other modern diesels, this showed no signs of being on the way out before it went completely, wasn't rattling like mad or anything like that like my Jetta did and mk4 Mondeos like my old mans current car do.

• 3 weeks later...

The JVC shat itself this afternoon with a WIRING MISMATCH ERROR - CHECK WIRING THEN RESET scrolling message. It;s done this before in the zafira, I looked at it a bit, fiddled with some wires and it worked. Was always flawless in the Meriva.

So I had an actual read of the manual and it said it was an issue with the speakers. This was confirmed when I unplugged the speaker ISO plug and it worked fine. Mmmmm. I could be bothered testing individual speakers at 10.30 at night, so as I gave up and plugged everything back in, the rear passenger one gave out a pop as I plugged it in. I'd read on a forum whilst googling the error that blown speakers can shart out amps, so I pulled the wires for that speaker out of the ISO block, and gave it a try

It worked! The rear pass door speaker has blown. Luckily, that's where Charlie sits, and not having it is actually not the worst thing in the world. The other side is a bit knackered too as when I put the audio to the rear to test it it was barely audiable. So the audio is biased to the front, everything works, happy days! One day I might replace the rear speakers...

I'm wondering if that's why the CD30 stopped making music a few days before I fitted the JVC, the speaker must have been on the way out/loose wire somewhere. I did go round and open and slam all the doors before it went 'pop'

Hey ho, free fix. Wish the rocker cover oil leak would fix itself. I've stemmed it greatly, but it still whiffs when hot and not moving.

^ Beko - not sure if it's the same in the zafira but rear door speakers (and e.windows, c. locking) go in Astra's due to the wiring breaking near the doors - here's a couple of links - seems does effect zafira's too.

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/rear-door-wiring-kit.365037/

Kits available off ebay like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Vauxhall-Astra-H-mk-5-rear-Door-Wiring-Loom-Repair-kit-COLOUR-MATCHED-/112404685401

(not sure about choc blocks with this one!)

Still need to fix this on mine,

Mmmm now you mention it, the window in that door doesn't go up or down with the key with all the rest. Does work from the switch.

I have done several Zafira B loom repairs for the rear doors. Usually, it's the door won't unlock and subsequently won't open from inside or outside and then causes a major headache trying to get the door open to repair the bloody thing.

I would have a look at that sooner rather than later to save the headache or a door that won't open.

Repairs are easier with the door removed which is an easy 2 min job.

Ben

• 4 months later...

The 'orl vauxhall r shit' dash light came on for me earlier, just after I stalled it reversing out of a space as it has too many pedals

post-5612-0-84508000-1507638986_thumb.png

Cylinder 1 misfire. Last time I checked the plugs they looked about dead, may lob a set of them on this week and see. Cleared the code, it fired up smoother and after some hard revs which Charlie loved it didn't come back so meh, we shall see!

And the tray under the passenger seat ?

Is full of shite that I don't want to know about!

Amy's in hospital having infected milk ducts removed so I'm on child duty today, and after driving it for 8 miles I found 4 dummies, 2 bottles, loads of chocolate bar wrappers, coats and 5 pairs of various shoes. Oh, and no screenwash...

Took Charlie to his first trip to euro car parts earlier! He was quite handy, as there was a massive queue, 1 person serving and the people being served were from the local taxi company buying a grands worth of clutches and paying in bloody cash... Charlie started getting agitated so I let him scream a bit and voila, more tills opened!

Came home, and it started kangerooing pulling away through 3rd and 4th (eml came on 1/4 of the way there, I didn't bring the change bag or any contingent for being stuck at the side of the road, oops) but keeping the revs down helped, and we got home easily!

We got some tools out

post-5612-0-74124100-1507717044_thumb.jpg

Whipped the old plugs out, I think we've had our money's worth

post-5612-0-69050300-1507717074_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-72245200-1507717090_thumb.jpg

Lobbed the new ones in, then I checked the code, which was the same as before which was good

post-5612-0-71371700-1507717122_thumb.png

Cleared that, and already it fires up quicker and settles to a smoother, lower idle. Got to go into town to do shopping and other wummins stuff in a bit so I'll give it a thrash and see what happens!

Oh, found the obd port too once I'd cracked the cubby hole over it off, freeing it from years of shite

post-5612-0-44481100-1507717211_thumb.jpg

Are you going to be doing an OCD detailing world level clean on the Zafiras interior anytime soon?

I love seeing that kinda thing and need some inspiration for a similarly messy C-Max I need to clean.

I ruddy want to! Probably missed the boat this year though, itll involve lots of water and it won't dry. I get 5 extra days holiday next year as I've been with the firm for 10 years so might use some of that and book a few days off and hit it hard! Doubt I'll be able to do much at the weekends, won't have time! Although if I can get out there with a hoover and bin liner that'll be some of the battle won

The gooner is similarly filthy, although a good hoover will fix 86% of that.

Both cars are in winter shitter mode now I think!

They do need a good booting from time to time (once a week minimum) to keep them going well.

I did that the other day by doing slightly* more than 70 for 20 miles on the m40, at over 5.5k revs the whole time, and booted it on as well. I reckon that possibly finished off the plugs!

Amy never boots it, the poor thing. That's why she doesn't have a diesel, the 31mpg is more than balanced out by that fact!

"it's faster" is probably the wrong description but it's nippier from the off, pulls up the Rev range better, idles lower and smoother...

I possibly should have changed them 4 months ago when I had a look and went "oooh, they'll need doing soon!"

Oh, and whilst we are on the subject, does anyone know where the flasher relay is, and where I can get one? The stalk doesn't always indicate left, just flashes once, requiring a firmer push (and yes it's got fucking way soft touch stalks). It also doesn't audibly click with the flasher, which is annoying.

Luckily it's a black filthy Zafira, so I don't feel put of place turning without indicating, as it's self cancelled already or just isn't on despite me moving the stalk...

Oh God, I've just spent half an hour reading up on that... We have most of those symptoms, although horn doesn't work with the lights on or off, I out it down to overuse by amys sister...

Seems part of the recall is fitting a metal clip to the wiring to hold it in as it vibrates out. Anyone know where the wiring goes in so I can eyeball it up and see if it just needs pushing in?

That'll explain why the trip computer roller only works with the steering wheel being turned, no door open warning beep, no seat belt beep, lights on sound or anything...

Wonder if vauxhall would fix it under a recall? How would I go about asking? Find the generic cs number?