Bertie the R75... Rovering onwards (towards the MOT)

Roverageous

...and hopefully not Recovery!

Mainly with thanks to this thread -http://autoshite.com/topic/26808-collected-rover-75-dealer-launch-spec/ - which brought my attention to a Rover 75 of much loveliness, I now appear to be the new owner. I have not collected the car, and looks like that won't happen until next Wednesday. So in the meantime, I thought I'd start a thread.

Timeline so far:

1. Contact seller, ask questions relevant to car
  2. Make offer to seller to end auction early
  3. Offer accepted & monies BACsed
  4. Contemplate parking arrangements at home
  5. Decide renting a garage would be a good thing to do. Contact council.
  6. Garage procured from council. Not seen it yet - no idea if a 75 will fit.
  7. Arrange insurance. £78 fully comp, classic car insurance with Peter Best
  8. Stress about garage size, potential for cooling issues or crusty sills (and everything else in between)

So, I have a running insurance policy, a garage to store it in that I don't yet have the keys for (tomorrow!), and paid for a car that is 75 miles away and I have not seen.

Screenshot_20170116_200323.png\

WCPGW?

Seems now is a good time to snap up these cars.   There are still just about enough of them left to be slightly fussy about what you buy while prices are fairly low and will only go one way in time, although not just yet.

Nicely bought Mr Rageous, look forward to seeing and hearing more about it.  Damson red?

Collection is now looking like this coming Wednesday afternoon, but MAY get pushed back to the Sunday after. Grrr. Issues are at my end with work commitments - many thanks to the seller for being so patient!

Hoped to have the keys to my new garage today... Alas not because council.

*Roverageous enters council building this morning at 9:45*

R: Good morning, I'm here to pick up the keys to Garage 8

Council: You'll need the garage team then.

R: Excellent. Could you possibly point me in the correct direction?

C: They don't work Fridays. Do you have an appointment?

R: *Checks letter* But the letter says the office is open on a Friday between 9:30 & 14:30

C: Yes, the office is open today.

R: So I can pick up the keys?

C: No, the garage team don't work Fridays.

R: I see. Perhaps the letter could be amended in the future to say that the department is not open on Fridays?

C: The department is open on Fridays.

R: But I can't pick up the keys?

C: The garage team don't work Fridays.

Ho hum. The lady I've been in contact with at the "Garage Team" does seem genuinely helpful though, so hopefully this will all be resolved on Monday!

I may have to ring Peter Best. I'm getting quoted £450.

This is the second time I've been with them, and they've always been decent with me!

The criteria that they were hot on to insure as a classic was:

• Own, insure and drive another 'main' car
  • SD&P only - no commuting allowed
  • Membership number for a car club

Collection is now looking like this coming Wednesday afternoon, but MAY get pushed back to the Sunday after. Grrr. Issues are at my end with work commitments - many thanks to the seller for being so patient!

R: *Checks letter* But the letter says the office is open on a Friday between 9:30 & 14:30

R: I see. Perhaps the letter could be amended in the future to say that the department is not open on Fridays?

Ho hum. The lady I've been in contact with at the "Garage Team" does seem genuinely helpful though, so hopefully this will all be resolved on Monday!

That's a brilliant example of councils.

The garage team probably don't work Fridays because of funding cuts - and lockups are considered less of a priority than... oooh, caring for old people and the disabled?

Consider that.

I do understand that! My post was meant a little tongue in cheek - but my gripe is more about the fact that the letter isn't clear more than anything else :)

And every time I have to deal with the council the assume I already know things that they don't tell you! If you put opening times in a letter, then that's fine but they can't expect people to know the garage team don't week Friday if they don't say that!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reminds me of a classic only fools and horses. Del and Trigger go to the tip, is closed and he had asked trigger when it was open. He had said 24 hours, and Del asked why its shut. He said "its 24 hours but its shut at night" classic. :)

The department is open Friday but the team don't work Friday's? So what goes on down there on a Friday then if no ones there?

That one beats me.

What the letter doesnt make clear is that "the office" is the whole of the housing department. So technically it's open. "But the garage team don't Fridays!"

Well chaps. It's all happened today.

Started off at 9am when I managed to speak to a real live member of the illusive 'Garage Team!'. By 11:15 I had the key for the garage in my mitt. But 11:30 I had managed to lock my diesel 75 & they key inside the garage. Garage don't hold spare keys. That's going to be interesting to sort out, but it can languish there for a while.

My lift down to Fleet arrived at about 13:00 in the form of a '65 reg Vauxhall Meriva. Arrived in Fleet for 15:30 and found the address / car. It's pretty much as described in the other thread. Old boy is giving up driving & his son in law was doing the eBay doings to sell the car. No moneys exchanged hands as it was all done in advance with BACs. A swift look round the car indicated all was well. 4 Michelin tyres with a ton of tread on, coolant at the correct level and nice golden oil. No crusty sills in sight either. Winning!

Decided I was happy with the car and began the trip back to Aylesbury. It drives very nicely and doesn't show it's 102,000 miles at all - it drives every bit as well as my diesel. But smoother. And more V6-y. Engine sounds in rude health, autobox gives nice smooth changes. Brakes were a bit squeaky to start with but the trip back did them a lot of good. I'll run it to work for the next few days (not really got much option!) and see if anything else comes to light.

The drive back to Aylesbury involved the M4 at rush hour which wasn't much fun, but the engine temp only reached the heady heights of 95'c - a good job too as it seems the low speed fan doesn't work (surprise, surprise!). Other things that are not as they should be... Low speed steering clonk (top mounts 0 they all do that, Sir) and the electric control for the Driver's backrest doesn't work and it's a bit upright to be comfortable.

Here's some pictures which include an IPK with no dead lines, and an original key with its embossed Rover logo.

IMG_20170125_212038.jpg

IMG_20170125_212131.jpg

IMG_20170125_212140.jpg

IMG_20170125_212152.jpg

IMG_20170125_220758.jpg

That looks lovely, well bought!

Re: your garage - if it's just a standard 'up and over' garage with the lock built into the handle that needs a turn/pull to open - the lock will most likely be utter crap.  

Non-destructive - pick it (they really are not that secure and if you have the means, this won't take long)

Destructive - drill / smash it out and replace. 

Either way, council garages are always a target for scum so get some additional security sorted if you haven't already - the less 'obvious' the better*. These are pretty good;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Door-Hardware-Locks/Asec-HS1829-Garage-Black/B004ULMMXI

*there are 2 ways of looking at it - either something that looks like a pain to defeat means it'll be more hassle than it's worth to break in, or it means there's something in the garage worth breaking in for.

Garage now sorted! Council sent "Mike" round to get in and retrieve key which was waiting for me when I got home. Happy days.

And yes I will very seriously be looking at more security!

Took the new car to work today - all went well. The V6 really works well with an autobox. Chuffed :)

15a0258cd49bc4df85d03f0aa4ff5401.jpg

8b70288f76a6178a9dd012f1ece7a5b3.jpg

What a lovely car, well bought!

These look so classy with the crowns and chrome bullet mirrors.

Headlamp washers too, very POSH!

And powerfold mirrors, don't you know!

Seriously it's lovely. Needs some bits doing to it - the diesel feels the better drive at the moment, but nothing a bit of fettling won't sort! Not sure what's going on with the drivers seat, but it doesn't feel like it sits straight at the moment.