Lupo 1.0 E

Grundig

For sale is the Grundigettes VW Lupo in resale silver - she has had this for a year now & ready for a change. This is the very same car that she bought from Mr wilson wilson - will add photos when its daylight but to whet your appetite here is Wilson X2 sale thread from last year

http://autoshite.com/topic/21904-03-lupo-selled/

The car is located in Cheshire - offers £350 ish

MOT Sept 2017 & TAX Jan 2017 

Oh god I really want this. Suits my city needs very well.

Any interest in a trade with a very very immaculate MK3 golf cabriolet with money my way?

Would make gud city car - small nippy & with power steering - as for swaps, she has committed to another car 

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, mama-fdb is buzzing about in this now and she likes its small size and light weight. It's well-suited to lots of short trips and the ride is decent enough to point into the distance occasionally, perhaps its one big advantage over an old Yaris.

post-4845-0-38094300-1486383043_thumb.jpg

It's also many decibels quieter than that Rolls-BMW, from the outside at least.

As with any older dirt-cheap car I half-expected a few things would need rectifying, not least any damage caused by the impact which bent that wheel (see linked fred, above).

An intermittent misfire at low revs under acceleration was easily sorted by gapping the plugs correctly, I've yet to straighten out the front wheels - there's a little positive camber on the nearside, negative on the other. Most people wouldn't be aware of this from behind the wheel, until too late. The subframe and bits it attaches to don't show any distortion and I'm hoping to pull it back on its mountings a couple of mm to port.

post-4845-0-42583700-1486383219_thumb.jpg

It's a while since I've attended to small modern chod and what a faff it is accessing the plugs and air filter. In fact, there are two air filters, reached by first unbolting and disconnecting the massive plastic cover, then undoing many, many screws. The engine oil will be changed soon along with a check of the gearbox level.

post-4845-0-84492900-1486383320_thumb.jpg

There's barely any corrosion to the structure of the vehicle, not bad for something made back in 2003. With very little beyond routine maintenance these cars could last well into their twenties, yet they're vanishing fast.

Sum-up - sound little car with an easy five years left in it, for plenty less than a pair of Tesla tyres. Like.

Your wheel geometry woes could be due to the strut top mounts - one of the classic 1990s VW problems. I'd personally check those before faffing about with the entire subframe.

You're absolutely right about their corrosion resistance - it's really good ! They're overall really strong little cars, the only reason they are disappearing is that most owners neglect routine maintenance and throw them away as soon as something expensive goes wrong (usually the gearbox !).