Last Chance [Estate]: 1996 Volvo 960 24v Project - £175 - P'boro

alcyonecorporation

The bridge, the bridge is calling....

Does anyone want to give my 1996 Volvo 960 24v estate a home? 

It's blown its HG and the top shoulder of the rad has snapped off. It will crawl on to a trailer but that's all I would recommend you doing with it under its own power. 

246k, some service history, some dents, recent back box. Full leather (drivers' seat stuck), 4 speed automatic. 

The car goes complete; I'm not breaking it. 

An ideal workhorse project or spares car. 

The local yard has offered me £175 for it, so that's the price I've set. Not up for offers, chippery, part exes, methadone scripts, 9 bars, Pet Shop Boys CDs, etc. 

JUUTDQU.jpg

VxkpueL.jpg

J'accuse! 

pMaWdTh.jpg

I had it valeted at a bay near Essex Raceway. I should have just driven it into the hawsers instead. 

v9gvOr1.jpg

SkQ0k9e.jpg

Interior: grubby, but all there. Head unit is gubbed. 

7msNPl8.jpg

3.0-litre 24v straight six. 

NJIhW2q.jpg

Later IRS rear end with transverse leaf springs like a Corvette. 

Car is about 10 miles out of Peterborough. Bring a trailer - you'll need it. 

I've been pretty badly messed around by various FB groups/marque forums, so this is its last chance before the magic HIAB faerie cometh.

Mmm, crisp tenners.

Get it on the Volvo owners club forum, some loon on there will want it for parts

Yeah but the VOC forum.........erm............

I can't think of a way to finish off that sentence without a custodial stint being involved.

Fair enough if they pay a deposit and pick it up promptly. Fuck all chance of that happening though.

No, they expect it for free because they're 'doing the right thing by saving it'.

I can see why cars get weighed in out of despair/spite.

To be quite honest, if you've been offered an amount of money for it that you're willingto accept, I'dbe setting a time limit and then fucking it off to the yard. What the fuck do some people expect? I fully understand wanting to save stuff, but the survival of a Volvo estate does not pay any bills.

Vetdict: CASH BY FRIDAY OR VOLVO MEETS JAMES BROWN.

£175 Is a bloody good offer from a yard. Down here they are still charging to take scrap away. Weigh it in and take the money. I had the same thing a few years ago with a Renault 14, lots of people offering to "help me out" by taking it for nowt. I cut it up in the end and sold the engine and box for a reasonable price. Yeah it is a shame weighing it and giving up on it, but you can't save them all.

Fully understand that even £25 more is better than nothing, there comes a time when the scrap yard is the better option because they're generally (but not always) more reliable and don't care about the condition. You could try Cartakeback, but I'm guessing you'll be looking at about £70-£80 only, though robbing the battery, cat and anything else can help.

If you dos ell to a scrap yard do an internet search and see if there's anything good on the car that's hard to find second hand, take it off and sell separate when the yard have been.

I've sent all kinds to Mr Brown just because I can't be arsed trying to sell it. Shove it on ebay. List the good bits. Put in huge big red letters "DEAD ENGINE".

List everything good about it, that it drove well etc. Spares or repairs. Don't expect miracles but stay calm and insist the buyer calls at auction end. Anyone who texts, text back for them to call.

Had pelters over this on a Volvo Facebook group; I left. 

Getting chapter and verse from one VOC member at the moment, rest have been really helpful. 
One of the nice crowd identified it as a Luxury Edition which is apparently pretty rare. 

According to big expert man it's worth £50 maximum but he'll do me a favour and give me £75. 
It's also 'worthless' as spares, apparently. 

Now, why would you offer someone £75 for a car that's worth 'maximum' £50? Is it because someone's spotted a wee earner and thinks he deserves it?