505 Turbo Injection - bye bye

pshome

Todays plan was to get the car ready for TÃœV... didn't play 100% out.

Job list:

Replace broken headlight, done.

post-5425-0-06837200-1487355979_thumb.jpg

Nice new Michelins, fitted.

post-5425-0-95622100-1487356094_thumb.jpg

Various bits and pieces to be put in place:

post-5425-0-29686600-1487355277_thumb.jpg

Sparks, easy.

Maze of leaky vacuum hoses, all replaced. I have never seen a car with that many T and double T connectors to feed vaccuum to a million different places.

New horns from Italy sound great. Fact: only Italy makes good horns.

Replace fuel lines... now the trouble started.

It's all 8mm hose, except for a 20cm bit connecting tank and fuel pump.Why this is 11mm only Peugeot knows.

post-5425-0-62644100-1487356210_thumb.jpg

Tinkering with this, the tank dropped to the floor and several liters of good Shell 5 star super splilled on the floor, what a mess. Fortunately, the (plastic) tank survived with no damage.

Time to to give up for today and rather have a coffee.

It was more like:

Q. Why do Austrian cars have A on them? [when Österreich begins with Ö]

A. Because there's no such thing as an Ã–rsehole.

Yours works better in English.

Loving the 505.

I was told they mark their cars with that "A" for "And of the car", so that any driver was ensured to enter on the correct side.

In former times when it wasn´t that clear they had lots of "stolen steering wheel"-indications...

All tasks completed today. Finished the installation of the new fuel lines. Old smelly petrol poured into the woods  properly disposed at the county recycling center. Fuel tank has been put back in place and filled with 10 L of fresh Agip Super.

Brake check, all fine.

post-5425-0-51495700-1487965174_thumb.jpg

Had the engine running at 2500 rpm for 15 minutes. It stopped giving white smoke signals after a few minutes, didn't overheat or die, whew...

post-5425-0-17704500-1487965639_thumb.jpg

Pininfarina's fine design is now ready to go to TÃœV next week. It needs the complete thorough check with all technical data confirmed to issue the german papers because its an import and Bavaria does not trust the funky orange papers the Austrians gave us. Also needs to get the "H"(istoric) certification  to be officially recongized as a classic with reduced tax and, more importantly these days, acces to the low emission zones that grow exuberantly.

Oh, almost forgot to mention the most important task, get rid of that cursed "A".

That was not easy, the Austrians really stick to it. We had to deploy heavy weapons. 

Flamethrower to start with,

post-5425-0-06278200-1487966234_thumb.jpg

but that was not enough,

post-5425-0-75258400-1487969264_thumb.jpg

we had to rely on chemical weapons to finish the job.

post-5425-0-90179900-1487966291_thumb.jpg

Replace fuel lines... now the trouble started.

It's all 8mm hose, except for a 20cm bit connecting tank and fuel pump.Why this is 11mm only Peugeot knows.

Surely not the same company who secured a timing belt cover with 10mm bolts and a hidden 11mm one on the XUD.

Great progress with this, it is a superb car.

TÃœV passed with only two minor remarks "both front wiper blades worn" and "right side rear registration plate lamp not functioning". :-D :-D :-D
post-5425-0-19624500-1488197274_thumb.jpg

at the TÃœV station...

post-5425-0-48530200-1488201116_thumb.jpg

passed!
post-5425-0-79825100-1488201376_thumb.jpg

On the way back home on the trailer, still need to get insurance, sort out the paperwork and have it registered.

post-5425-0-39824300-1488201457_thumb.jpg

Herr Dumas - or shall I say Monsieur Dumas? - sounds awfully French, so I assume he was biased.

IN fact: Rene Dumas, spoken Renee Düma, sounds french, but isn´t, looks rather french (corse style), but isn´t. Don´t even SPEAK french :-) .

But he is the one with the greatest heart for our "old french cars". Good to have a man like him, makes a lot things easier. Lucky we are, because this is not self- understanding.

So this morning at 6:50 am i went to the "Kraftfahrzeugzulassungs- und Fahrerlaubnisbehörde" to be the first when they open at 7:00.

That looks promising: :-(

post-5425-0-27366100-1488389461_thumb.jpg

25 Minutes later, i made to the "Check in" counter. "Check in" ?? I would have excpected "Anliegenüberprüfungsundwartenummernausgebaschalter!" at the very least.

Been given a number and sent to "Waiting Zone A"

post-5425-0-71953000-1488391625_thumb.jpg

In case you have a smart phone, you can load an app, scan the ticket and it will tell you how long you have to wait! Now how stupid is that? There is a really big display showing the current wait time. Instead of wasting my tax money for such a nonsense, how about hireing more people so we citizens don't have to wait?

I mentally prepared myself spending the day in the Zone. East Germany used to be called "the Zone", it was more comfy and they had better air (!), trust me. In spite of their 2 stroke cars, unfiltered industries and dirty coal heating, this is the truth.

Checking again the ticket, it says "4 waiting ahead of you". What has happened to the other 1500 queuing this morning, better dont ask, i am in the Zone after all, strange things may happen here.

There was this sign at one of the doors "Special counter for imports", is there hope to escape early from the Zone?

post-5425-0-28823400-1488390500_thumb.jpg

Indeed, after only 10 minutes my number was called and i proudly presented my stack of papers to a (rather pretty good looking) young lady.  With interest, she studied each piece of official print in my pile while i studied  xxx xxxxxx:

1. ID card
  2. Gutachten für die Erlangung einer Einzelbetriebserlaubnis gemäß § 21 Straßenverkehrszulassungsordnung
  3. Gutachten für die Einstufung eines Fahrzeugs als Oldtimer entsprechend Straßenverkehrszulassungsordnung §23
  4. Prüfnachweis über die Durchführung der Abgasuntersuchung nach Nummer 3.1.1.1 Anlage VIII Straßenverkehrszulassungsordnung
  5. Versicherungbestätigung gemäß §23 Fahrzeugzulassungsverordnung
  6. Reservierung eines Wunschkennzeichens
  7. SEPA Lastschriftmandat
  8. Kraftfahrzeugkaufvertrag
  9. Bestätigung im Sinne des §37Absatz 2 lit. d. Kraftfahrzeuggesetz 1967Bundesgesetzblatt Nummer 267/1967 (Ausweiskarte zur Erlangung eines inländischen Kennzeichens.
  10. Typenschein mit Genehmigungsbescheid für Kraftfahrzeuge oder Anhänger oder von Fahrgestellen solcher Fahrzeuge

After a moment of silence she said:

Do you have the "EU Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil 1 und Teil 2"?

Sorry what?

Yes, i need these two papers from Austria.

The car was registered in 1986, Austria didn't even know how to spell EU back then. It had the same owner since and was unregistered in 2004. It never had any EU whatever papers.

Well, if you don't have the Zulassungbescheinigung then i need an attestation from Austria that these documents do not exist.

Yes, you did read that well, they want a paper that states that another paper does not exist!

No argueing helped, much frustration...

So i studied the Interweb to find out whom to ask for that paper of much crazyness. Believe it or not, in Austria the Bausparkasse (home building society) takes care of car papers. So i called the Wüstenrot Bausparkasse in Salzburg (Slogan: "Happiness needs a home, we will build it")  and they mailed me without much fuzz and to my utter surprise bespoke document that certifies that two other documents do not exist. Sent that on the lady and she actually called back an hour later: Yes, now all is fine and you can come tomorrow to register the car.

We shall see tomorrow...

Guest Breadvan72

We Austrians always knew what the Germans need.

Dude, did the Germans (or, indeed, the rest of everybody else) really need that one thing you gave them, you know, back then, before all that stuff happened?   I'm just saying.  [/Godwin]

Doesn't sound like that painful an affair all told. At least you can go to an office and present your documents to a human!!!! We lost that privilege years ago, we just post everything off then wait a week or two to get it back with reasons why there is a problem with some/all/none of it.

Doesn't sound like that painful an affair all told. At least you can go to an office and present your documents to a human!!!! We lost that privilege years ago, we just post everything off then wait a week or two to get it back with reasons why there is a problem with some/all/none of it.

I agree, and the people in the office are usually quite friendly and try to be helpful, which is nice. Waiting several hours at times is no joy, but at least you get things done. Praise goes to the Austrians who sent the stupid paper within minutes after i called.