After three years... 216SLi - 25/2 - behaving itself

Ghosty

I think the torque converter functions as intended, now that I know what I'm looking for. The seemingly random lighting of CHECK ENGINE reinforces the low likelihood of instrument cluster issues.

I've noticed that running downhill on the motorway doesn't throw up CHECK ENGINE which is odd.

I have an o2 sensor on the way now (hope it comes Tue/Wed!), and I can't find the spark plugs which probably means Old Man has changed them for me, he was going on about doing that yesterday. I'd rather do easy jobs myself but spark plugs are so mundane I won't bother.

I think I got a package containing a couple of wheel trims today too, but I've not opened it yet. The one I lost had a couple of clips broken on it so here's hoping the new ones are better. Always good to have a spare, they're lovely trims IMO and I'll be keeping spares as long as I can find them for cheap. If a set of 416GTi lattice wheels came up I could be tempted by them, but there's no other alloy wheel I'd want to put on it.

Plates are in the process of being done by DMB, I've paid for an AS sticker for it, tyres will be ordered next Mon when I'm paid... it's all coming together.

IT'S FIXED

Old Man was being an idiot and the IAT was fine, so I'm £40 out for no reason.

Plates and stickers also arrived today:

32101880593_df5683d6af_b.jpg

No pics yet as I've only got the front plate on, didn't have enough adhesive strips for both. Also, the Lex Service sticker is a little off centre - you can tell because of the window washer jet, so I want to adjust that too.

Soon hopefully...

This just leaves tyres, and it'll be fully sorted. :grin:

Plates:

32161331023_0b17f1df6e_h.jpg

32594962630_44c387f01d_h.jpg

32594951380_b0b8af0e93_h.jpg

Great job from DMB as ever. I think the rear one might be slightly wonky, and the off centre Lex Service sticker will have to stay as it can't be removed easily. I like how it looks now I've tried to remove and re-apply it though, weirdly, so it's alright. It's mad how much difference they make...

O2 sensor was what cured it in the end - Old Man was being a fuckwit, reading the fault code wrong and refusing to accept that it might be reading '1'.

He said it was flashing 10 times which meant 10 - that's wrong. 10 is one long flash not 10 short ones - if I questioned this he said 'no that only applies for 11 and up'. Why would it break its own rule????

He refused to accept it was wrong and kept saying 'look it flashes 10 times then there's a longer pause' (there wasn't) and started pulling ideas out of his arse ('the coolant temperature sensor is on the same circuit as the IAT, I think it's that now' - despite coolant temp sensor having its own fault code). Eventually he stopped refusing to accept the possibility seeing as he wasn't spending his money on the parts (skinflint) but couldn't accept that it was the O2 sensor - probably because they were £56 from ECP.

After finding a £12 NGK one on eBay he mysteriously shut up about it.

I wouldn't mind but he goes into a sulk and refuses to help me out if I dare suggest he might be wrong, and thinks there's no credit in anyone else's opinions.

:roll:

He wants to sell his A4 soon if any of you have £2000 spare.

It's needed a clutch release bearing for two years and he bought it for £1100. :roll:

All is well with the R8 of H8.

Nothing's wrong, and it soldiers on, it's just passed 56000 miles. 

It seems to need the standard modification of camping mat rear light seals doing as there's a bit of water under the boot carpet, but otherwise everything is peachy. When I have a bit more spare cash I'll be getting a set of four tyres (Avon or Hankook most likely), to replace the perishing rears, and odd tread fronts.

I've sourced a clock for it, too -  I didn't think it'd bother me but I keep looking at it trying to see what time it is while I'm driving...

Check the air vents that live behind the sides of the bumper too.

20160111-05.jpg

20160112-09.jpg

Bumper comes off with four bolts at the back, two in each bracket, and slots onto guides on the side.  You may also find it's screwed into the bodywork at the wheel arch end.  Fairly easy to remove the bumper for this fix.

You know what, that's in the right place... the water appears on the right side roughly where that vent would be.

Honda/Rover bumpers are easy to remove, I remember helping Old Man straighten the bumper on the back of his old '97 Prelude, that was similarly painless.

:grin:

The tracking is off again, and the car is pulling to the left a bit. Not a lot, but enough that I can tell, and the steering wheel is wonky.

Further inspection has revealed that the one shit Chinese tyre is actually the shape of a 20p.

It's on the front left. 

Ahhh....

I was going to buy tyres anyway, but now I'm getting some ASAP, 'cause that's not good. 

The rear tyres, while matching Goodyears, are perishing and of an unknown age, and the other one is a winter Goodyear.

The spare is fucked.

Four Hankooks it is then, and the winter Goodyear can go in the boot.

Well, the clock's fucked.

New one came, and unlike the picture on eBay it's for a sodding bubble dash model, and it was duff too. Can't return it obvs, but I'll be asking for a partial refund seeing as it was wrong. If anyone comes across a pre-bubble dash clock, let me know...

The innards are identical, however,  so I had a go at making one good clock out of two. No luck, even after soldering and all sorts. I got it to light up, and some of the elements would flicker, but that was about it. 

Tyres are on the way now, who knows when they'll show up.

Tyres done today, after collecting the mother's Cooper S.

Four Hankooks fitted now, so the ancient rears, Polish ditchfinder and unknown quantity shiny Michelin spare are now gone (fuck Michelins). The spare is now the winter Goodyear that was on the front.

The steering wheel sits centrally now, not off to the left, and from the drive home it seems to be behaving a lot better. I'll see how it holds up on a run soon...

I'll be interested to hear what it's like on the Hankooks, particularly in the wet, and how noisy they are.  I was considering either Uniroyals, Hankooks or Kumhos for mine based on reviews but only have real world experience of Uniroyals on a Montego (they were very good).