Let's See What You Could Have Won

MiniMort

So I don't know of anything like this on this site but recently, because I have no social life, I've been watching old Game Shows from the 70s and 80s. Amongst the package holidays abroad, the teasmade and the colour TV a lot of cars were prizes!

I've spent some time compiling some of these cars into this:

And now, from Norwich:

Ah yes, The Sale of the Century. The only gameshow where a correct answer won you £3 and a car was valued at £140.

So as you can tell the Metro was a very common prize on this show but other cars made it on there too:

Yes, a Mini. What else were you expecting?

Didn't they do well?

So Play Your Cards Right always offered a car and sometimes even something that wasn't either a Mini or a Metro, ooh... But just to be safe...

There we go, anyway. And now for something completely different:

Rusty Bin

3,2,1 seems to have a more varied selection of cars and, for once, not just small cars!.... Mainly small cars...

I don't know a pun or anything here

Wheel of Fortune, big in America, moderate success over here:

And all this is yours if the Price Is Right:

As far as the 80s are concerned, I've only ever seen one car up for grabs here, guess what it is:

Of course

Same show over the pond

The American Price Is Right has 2 to 4 cars up for grabs each episode so here's a few from some early 70s episodes:

post-19684-0-02947900-1484430822_thumb.pngpost-19684-0-85301400-1484430844_thumb.png

Anyway, that's enough for now from me. If you've seen any old gameshows with a car as their prize then please tell me, maybe you were on a game show, maybe you won a car on one, who knows? But please reply as I'd love to hear about more cars up for grabs, cheers.

I think rules meant that prizes couldn't be too expensive, hence all the Minis and Metros.

By the nineties, that was over so they could give away larger cars but almost always from Future Shite brands like Daewoo (as mentioned), Seat, Kia etc. Bruce Forsythe gave away some random stuff on "The Price is Right", I remember a few kit cars on the late 90s early 00s episodes. Had a quick look and found this Ferrari* on one. MR2 based by the dash, I'd suppose:

bruce_10.jpg

bruce_11.jpg

I think rules meant that prizes couldn't be too expensive, hence all the Minis and Metros.

By the nineties, that was over so

Correct, there was a cap pre-1981 of a £1000 for game shows. The Broadcasting Act 1981 upped it to £6000 and that cap was lifted at the start of 1993.

Here's a couple of my old posts from "A shameless 'cars and girls' thread (contains sexism)" thread:

post-19900-0-90596700-1469980775.jpg

(1992 Kia Pride 3dr hatchback with nude calendar model from Wheel of Fortune)

Incidentally the woman didn't get the answer right, which was revealed as Scimitar fanatic:

post-19900-0-97110200-1484436620_thumb.jpg

and

I don't think I can top Carol Smillie with a Kia Pride on Wheel of Fortune (by pure accident caught whilst channel hopping across Challenge TV), so we'll have to settle for a Brucie Bonus instead of Gillian Duxbury with a Ford Fiesta Popular.

post-19900-0-79306300-1470143923.jpg

(1982 Ford Fiesta Popular from Bruce Forsyth's Play Your Cards Right)

Are they re-running Bullseye somewhere? 

I went up our local Working Men's Club last Sunday to renew my membership (it allows us to go to other CIU clubs where something is actually happening....) and Jim Bowen was on the widescreen above the bar, giving away a purple Mini.   

I was so mesmerised by the instant 1980s throwback of the whole occasion that I bought Mrs Rocker a Cinzano and ordered chicken and chips in a basket.   Followed by an argument with a bloke at the bar about Maggie Thatcher.....

Samba Le's used to be a popular prize on 321 and Bullseye up until 1983,usually in Baltic Blue or Cherry red as pictured.

The 1990s return of Celebrity squares was positively decadent in comparison to those early 80s povo spec City's Le's and Populars. The Stack of cars to be won included Rover 214 and Astra cabriolets, Mini Coopers,Calibras, Astra estate and a Pineapple yellow sport and even a late model Suzuki Sj410 Jeep!

My favourite prize though has to be off the very first season of Bullseye in 1981, where in its original Monday evening slot you could be driving off in a brand spangly new white Ital 1.3! Super smashing great!

post-20412-0-52164900-1484445369_thumb.jpg

post-20412-0-45887300-1484445397_thumb.jpg

post-20412-0-90497600-1484445710_thumb.jpg

Gladiators was a bit more demanding than your typical game show so it had better prizes - a pair of Nissan Terranos. Sadly the female champion (Eunice Huthart - why the hell do I still remember her name more than 20 years later but I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning?!) couldn't insure hers and it turned up in Auto Trader a few weeks later.