Car required, before August 2017, hurry!

tobyd

Turns out the nice insurance people don't readily accept 'expired' NCBs so I'm in the enviably position of needing a car to insure before August this year or I might have to start again; So looking for something, the grimmer the better, to insure, not drive very much since work / shop is walking distance, keep on a narrowish street in the crime-free*, eastern paradise of Ipswich. Anyone looking to offload something, with at least some MOT and the real (or imagined but well-sold) prospect of getting another. More or less anything will do and you might even be able to have it back at a considerable markdown a year later (unless I like it, or move, or it disassembles itself)? Will likely get reasonably looked after. Budget is a bit over a pittance.

Will be looking in the mean time but if you want to be rid of something and are reasonably local then give me a shout.

Can you just insure any old car (even someone else's that's laid up in a garage) as there never be a claim, something like a group 1 corsa or whatever if keeping your NCD is important to you, saving you the costs of actually owning a car.

I did this when I went to Spain for a few years, insured my dad's old megane than was rusting away on his drive

'Elderly Renner seeks undemanding partner for relaxed relationship in its twilight years.'

Would a Renault VelSatis with big mileage for £600 suit? Long MOT. Giffer dents and scratches already achieved. Lovely drive. Four new tyres. Quirky French electrics to keep you interested, but no fails to proceed...

It's 8 years worth, which seems like it should be less expensive to keep than let go? I just asked a price comparison site what the difference would be and its about £30 on that Vel Satis. Oddly after saying "I have no ncb" there is a box asking how many years you've been claim free with different options...

Insuring any old tat that's rusting away somewhere is a definite option, not entirely sure on the specifics for it inevitably catching fire / getting stolen and the insurance people then taking an interest though? Perhaps that paranoia though? Estimated annual mileage of 0.

Let me check out that Vel Satis, the appeal of a whole car full of questionable electrics is high. Does it have that 'feature' where it starts itself if you are near it? I friends, renner megane did that and I never understood why.

Selling my fairly immaculate, well-running and well-maintained Corsa B for £500.

I'd be surprised if you can find something cheaper to insure or tax. My last insurance quote on it was £110 for the whole year on a standard comprehensive. If you can find anywhere willing to take it on a classic policy (it is old enough) I imagine they'll just want to be paid in pocket lint.

Also, the Mikeknight Corsa went through the last 2 MoTs with 0 advisories so, with only light use, it'll likely go through a third with no bother.  It's had all the welding done it'll ever likely need to have done and has never broken down since I bought it from RobT and drove it home from London to Middlesbrough in one go a couple of years ago.

Honda Civic (spaceship) with 9yrs NCB = £410 p/a

Laguna II v6 with 9yrs NCB = £340 p/a

Saab 9-5 with 0yrs NCB = £350 p/a

... in Bristol on a 30yr old.

No, I don't understand either!

Keeping those NCBs probably will cost you more, unless you're moving to a high-risk area, etc.

Let me check out that Vel Satis, the appeal of a whole car full of questionable electrics is high. Does it have that 'feature' where it starts itself if you are near it? I friends, renner megane did that and I never understood why.

Nah, this flavour of Vel Satis pre-dates the fully automatic keyless ignition - this has a slot in the centre console where the keycard has to be inserted for the card reader to put the ignition on, and then there's a Start/Stop button to crank the engine or stop it.

The electronic quirks include (but given another year, are almost guaranteed NOT to be limited to)

Tyre pressure monitoring system - one sensor is missing, one is not recognised, so this is reported as a SERVICE item on the dash.

Both front electric windows move up and down in increments of about 3" a time. Attempts to reset the window controller have been met with a Gallic shrug

Cruise control will not engage due to the clutch pedal sensor not reading the pedal being in the 'up' position. Speed limiter function still works.

Temperature display on the dash alternates between temperature and a slice of battenberg cake, depending upon the temperature of the cabin

Screen wash reservoir intermittently reports low screen wash. It's lying.

Delivery arrangements negotiable. i.e. a slight amount of pleading, begging or even just asking nicely will result in free delivery, though there is unlikely to be a full tank of sans plomb remaining when you take delivery

HT53JNU for the mot history. There is a thread here http://autoshite.com/topic/26437-raffle-renault-vel-satis-%C2%A310-ticket/?hl=vel+satis with more infomation

Funnily enough I asked a similar thing not long ago - I now have a V5 to insure later in the year when I take the car off the road -  the new job means a car isnt really viable for work ( 1hr 20 to get to work in the car across town Vs 20 mins on the bike and £270/ year parking [or £445 if you want a guaranteed space] vs fuck all for the bike).

Using W2 patented method of ebay results <£500 ending soonest within 25 miles throws up some gems:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Toyota-Yaris-1-0-16v-VVTi-GS-3dr-/262460515845

This has an MOT until 3 years ago. Imagine that. They are alright actually if not rusty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Ka-1-3-Mot-September-2017-PX-to-clear-NO-RESERVE-/322385835684

This is squalid, however there is probably only a 40% chance the decals have terminal rot. Stars add 10bhp each.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-Nissan-Almera-1-4-Tempo-Limited-Edition-5dr-/262687505654

Wyn @ Lyf. Be like we used to be. There is 40k+ in the engine yet, and when I'm next up in Suffolk you can have my stash of spare parts from the one that went to Silverlake in November. Spoiler + unpainted bumpers = win. Cheap to insure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/daihatsu-fourtrak-off-roader-green-lane-project-bures-pit-mud-farm-toy-/311778932639

The person who made this needs to be locked up for their own good.

RE: Insurance - tell me about it! I'm 30, with 8 years NCB and two different places want north of the purchase price of the Corsa?!

That is the nicest example of a 114 I have ever seen. What's the silver box above the battery? Cray doing ECUs now?

Is the roffle still a goer?

What's with the unusually detailed picture of that alermas hub cap? Why are all these ending in Sudbury?

I guess I'd need another years motoring to keep up the charade?

Its nuts, you'd think to just have a car laying around would be cheap if you weren't using it to daily crash into people in traffic jams. Perhaps SiC is right and the NCB isn't really worth anything anymore? Since they can only be applied to 1 car at once, how do folks with > 1 car insurer theirs and whats the difference between the pricing?

Tickets are still available, but it's been so long now since sales stalled, I don't think there's enough interest for it to ever get close to sold out. I only paid 500 for it but it has about 160 quids worth of new rubber on it, on which I've done all of 1500 miles, and I've fixed a bunch of stuff on it for its mot - new parking brake cable, new engine mount, new O2 sensor, new arb drop link, and new arb bushes and brake pads all round will be included.

I think I replied to the ultrawomble thread but @ 40 with no ncb on a 2.2 zafira came out at £400 odd. Added the Mrs and went to £260 with axa, fully comp, all the gubbins that goes with it.

With ncb I think it was £190 or something, for me a negligible saving to mess about with transferring ncb etc.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to save it, in this day and age they ask if you've been insured on another car and if you've had any claims anyway so despite not having proof, it's still helping you out a bit really !!!!

I wonder what sort of stuff goes on in that ECU to warrant it being that big? Early Bitcoin mining effort to prop-up Rover?

I've spent the morning plugging in figures for various cars and I cannot understand it, price comparison or direct NCB is all over the place. Some places give better quotes without any, others its marginal, others its reasonable. Oddly that Picasso was pushing £900(!). I think Vaughant has the right idea and ncb isn't really worth saving, feel like I've pissed you all about now. I reckon, both the Rover and Corsa would be wasted having their wing mirrors taken off each week, sulking half on the kerb and not getting any use.

Tempted by that Moggy traveller v5 though, its a 'bargain' 85 quid (fully comp, papercuts?), locked up in a garage day and night with a generous 3000 miles a year with windscreen cover. The 'Bell' group only want £700 to fit it with a telematics box although I think those would be steep, steep discounts after 3 months.

Also, the Mikeknight Corsa went through the last 2 MoTs with 0 advisories so, with only light use, it'll likely go through a third with no bother.  It's had all the welding done it'll ever likely need to have done and has never broken down since I bought it from RobT and drove it home from London to Middlesbrough in one go a couple of years ago.

Which is clearly why I'm parting with it.

It's all fixed so I'm bored.  :P