Rage In Beige - 1986 Peugeot 305 Automatic Estate

alcyonecorporation

wVAATr3.jpg

UVHJYNP.jpg

nAL1yu3.jpg

Very nice, this is what Autoshite is about, unloved old cars which the general public wouldn't even think about buying, hopefully getting the love and attention they deserve. If none of these photos get in the next calendar, there is no justice, it's even the perfect colour too.

Well bought and welcome back. Is there any particular reason you got rid of the Mazda, as it was a very unusual and interesting car, or was it solely sold due to a lack of room?

Well bought and welcome back. Is there any particular reason you got rid of the Mazda, as it was a very unusual and interesting car, or was it solely sold due to a lack of room?

I wanted an SVX more (and needed a bit of extra money to fund it). I haven't seen a tested Alcyone cheaper; although I'm about to pay the price with the gearbox, it'll still owe me less than a forecourt car and I have that extra piece of mind the 4EAT isn't about to shuffle off its mortal coil.

Seriously though, the Xedos did nothing wrong: I did thousands of miles in it over a very short period of time.

They're not that unusual in the scheme of things - they were a reshelled, shortened 626. I'd still have one over a Rover 75. Soz Autoshite.

It was an effortless thing to cover miles in and was in pretty good condition for its age - the paint finish in particular was superb.

It had a slightly confused ride/handling balance and the steering was very vague in what I think was a weird attempt to make it feel larger than it was.

The ventilation was poor and it desperately needed air-con (which the later, uglier revised cars got). Cruise would have been nice too - again, the later cars got it but some of the details (like the prettier steering wheel and intricate alloys) were lost in the facelift. I'm pretty shallow like that: I tend to prefer the earlier, purer looking models against the newer, more honed uggers. Later Xedos' also had less power; smooth and gorgeous sounding though that 2.0-litre V6 was, it needed revving, especially when loaded two or three up tackling hills. It had a massive boot but very little rear seat room.

That extra bit of stroke helped improve the economy, though - where my [1.8-litre] MX-3 was dismal on fuel (23mpg even on high test) the Xedos returned 33 on several occasions. Work the [lovely] gearbox and it was pretty brisk; driven gently it was very soothing. A supercharger added purely for torque would cure the peakiness (which was pretty noticeable before VRIS got to work) and a six-speed CVT would make a '6 sublime IMHO.

I sound like I'm running it down but it was a lovely, cheap, overlooked alternative to a contemporary German car, if, for example, you find an E36 wearing to drive. Said BMW would hammer it down a back road, though.

Pressed metal pre-2001 font plates might suit the 305 Break.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-OLD-FONT-Pressed-Pre-2001-Metal-Vintage-Car-Registration-Number-Plates-34A-/161611123395

Is it just me or do these look a bit 'wrong'? Maybe it's because they're not weathered and battered like the pressed metal plates I remember.

I dunno, they looked alright on my S5:

U5514XT.jpg

I apologise for the horrific HDR mapping; I was experimenting with it at the time.

305's are very scarce now whatever their condition, had a look (co-incidently as a colleague & I were discussing old Peugeots) on ebay for 305's, the only one there was a pretty nice looking estate but it was £3250.

We both said the same thing 'I would be in at between 1K & 1.3K'. Three plus? I'm out. 

Didn't watanabe own the red Peugeot originally?

Yep, I owned that S5 a few years ago - I sold it to help pay for my move down South.

It's now in Northern Ireland; I'm regularly in touch with the lad who's restoring it. He's stripped down to a bare shell - given that he's a very talented and methodical engineer/fabricator, sooner or later it will end up on a show field looking split mint. Really happy he ended up with it, to be honest.

305's are very scarce now whatever their condition, had a look (co-incidently as a colleague & I were discussing old Peugeots) on ebay for 305's, the only one there was a pretty nice looking estate but it was £3250.

We both said the same thing 'I would be in at between 1K & 1.3K'. Three plus? I'm out.

It won't sell at that price, not in a million years.

I paid £206 for my S5, £300 (somehow) for the nob_van (dear christ I should have haggled) and £275 for the Auto after a bit of post purchase discussion.

'Diesel' is a magic word in 305 (and other 05 Peugeot circles) unless I'm selling one. You should get a nice diesel 305 estate when they appear for between £800-1000 if everyone in the room is realistic and not trying to price gouge/speculate the fuck out of the market.

People don't give Peugeot's XU petrol range enough credit - they're really sweet motors and ten times better than the bilge Ford was fitting into its range at the time.

Nice 305, brings back fond memories of the one my dad had (his was diesel though). Photographed at Bicester Heritage?

Yeah, I covered the Sunday Scramble for work and went in the Pug.

7z9M5p7.jpg

I decided to take the 305 to Ely today. There's a weird connection with Ely and the 305s I've owned - for one reason or another, I've ended up going there in each of them.

The connection with my first 305 Estate, B639 PPV, was tenuous, admittedly: on the way to Beccles for collection, the train stopped at Ely station and I remember wanting to visit at some point as a bloke went down the canal on a surfboard, paddling along. Its cathedral is easily a match for Peterborough's; Ely also has the advantage in that the city surrounding said cathedral doesn't resemble an angry toilet.

tHeDHCd.jpg

Ah yes, the nob_van. I ended up running a kind of shite Fenland courier service for about a month shifting parts around for classic car folk in exchange for beer tokens. You already know the craic with Partridge - we shifted loads of parts for Norm between Warwick and Cambridgeshire and picked up an Xbox 360 Partridge had bought on the way. We collected the console from a prim and proper neighbourhood; nob_van was so loud and smelly curtains began twitching violently when we pulled into the mews. There was an obvious disconnect between Partridge and the nob_van too - he was smartly dressed, the 305 looked like an approximately painted land mine on the rob.

Anyway, nob_van ended up outside Ely Cathedral (and I'm not entirely sure I should have been in there) because a drop off was near the city: at that point, I remembered seeing Ely from the train and the sketchy 305 connection meant I diverted.

I visted today because I fancied a drive out and heard there was a book shop which offered first editions, architecture tomes and a free cup of char as you wandered round.

I bought a book about dogs in space before retreating to Cafe Nero to spend the content of a Christmas gift card.

Ahh memories. Interestingly the blazer I was wearing at the time, the XBOX and the van are still going strong. There was probably so much preservative in the cheese burger that it too, would probably still be around had I not eaten it.

7z9M5p7.jpg

I decided to take the 305 to Ely today. There's a weird connection with Ely and the 305s I've owned: for one reason or another, I've ended up going there in each of them.

The connection with my first 305 Estate, B639 PPV, was tenuous, admittedly: on the way to Beccles for collection, the train stopped at Ely station and I remember wanting to visit at some point as a bloke went down the canal on a surfboard, paddling along. Its cathedral is easily a match for Peterborough's; Ely also has the advantage in that the city surrounding said cathedral doesn't resemble an angry toilet.

tHeDHCd.jpg

Ah yes, the nob_van. I ended up running a kind of shite Fenland courier service for about a month shifting parts around for classic car folk in exchange for beer tokens. You already know the craic with Partridge - we shifted loads of parts for Norm between Warwick and Cambridgeshire and picked up an Xbox 360 Partridge had bought on the way. We collected the console from a prim and proper neighbourhood; nob_van was so loud and smelly curtains began twitching violently when we pulled into the mews. There was an obvious disconnect between Partridge and the nob_van too - he was smartly dressed, the 305 looked like an approximately painted land mine on the rob.

Until very recently i though Caffe Nero was Caffe Nerd. Loving the trims on the beige 305.

I'll have three bloody sets by the time I've swapped to my GTX wheels! They need special tapered nuts.

0UYwe4O.jpg

They look like these. I swear PSA referenced these on the latest C4 Cactus - I was going to get a set of those rims before the C4's bottom end went. 

In a FDB friendly move, Peugeot didn't change the tyre size between models; correctly shod on 165/70 14s it'll ride the same on alloys as it does steels. PROGRESS. 

It has pretty remarkable roadholding even on its mixture of Firestones (front) and BF Goodrich (rear). People don't expect it to be able to take roundabouts and bends at the speed it does - of course, the second there's any semblance of a straight, they get past. 

It seemed heavy and slow-geared in my dad's old 305 van and was complained about in contemporary road tests. Maybe I'm a wimp and so are road testers.

You've got me wondering now. It doesn't feel powered, and I've got very little upper body strength as it is; what I had was stuffed in my MG road/face interface almost two years ago.

I don't remember nob_van being especially hard to wheel round apart from at very slow speeds, and that had/has oversized wheels and tyres fitted.

Ha, I almost bought this one (I think) to pull the engine out of. Looks like it may have gone to a slightly better home. I do like the bicuity interior, if not the idea of the autobox

HISS. 

The engine's pretty sweet and the box can be made to behave itself. It's nice to broaden one's driving experiences. 

I want another 305 estate to do the Mi16 conversion I planned with SCTSH_ANDY many moons ago. This one's too sweet to rip apart - unless the engine eats itself.