Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stupid question amnesty

• Please log in to reply
15357 replies to this topic

#14551 OFFLINE   BenHar

BenHar

• Full Members
  • 732 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationReigate, Surrey

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

Bin the little ah batteries or use them for a radio/ torch or something and buy some 4 or 5 ah ones.

Where from?

Every time I look at replacement batteries it is cheaper to buy a whole new tool.

Ben
  • DeeJay likes this

CHRIS1980, on 08 Jan 2016 - 8:37 PM, said:snapback.png

Your clearly thick....end of.

#14552 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,294 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

Where from?

Every time I look at replacement batteries it is cheaper to buy a whole new tool.

Ben

Haven't used these myself but a workmate has their dewalt fitting ones and says they are as good as his originals

http://m.ebay.co.uk/...c-/182370369553
  • The Moog likes this

#14553 OFFLINE   BenHar

BenHar

• Full Members
  • 732 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationReigate, Surrey

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Haven't used these myself but a workmate has their dewalt fitting ones and says they are as good as his originals

http://m.ebay.co.uk/...c-/182370369553

Interesting. Things seem to have changed since I last looked.

Thanks
Ben

CHRIS1980, on 08 Jan 2016 - 8:37 PM, said:snapback.png

Your clearly thick....end of.

#14554 OFFLINE   RustyNuts

RustyNuts

• Full Members
  • 760 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:37 PM

Even simpler than that; if you mention roffling the fun police at Paypal will think you're paying for goods and/or services and charge a fee, whereas a gift with a random string of expletives, slander and insults is free.

That was my initial suspicion.. 

Ok well thanks for the info guys.. i may well enter the odd roffle here and there if its an auto i like the look of.. (don't drive manuals)

I kinda like cars... just as long as its my favourite one and no other  8)

#14555 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 2,361 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Soon enough, I'll be turning my attention to the Kingpin of the BI fleet - our beloved Toyota Granvia.

It's had a long list of advisories for the last 3 years and, whilst none of them terrify me, I'd like to start picking them off.

Capture.JPG

Front tyres have been done - so am I right in saying an hour with a wire brush might fix the rest of them up?  What would you go about painting a coil spring with??  Or am I being super mingebag and avoiding the obvious?  I know the garage well and they said not to worry about them, but would like to do something.

NB: I will buy two new brake hoses natch.

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  212k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  180k|   1994 Mercedes C180.  125k|   1983 Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#14556 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,294 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

Brake pipes have a good look at them, replace if in doubt, otherwise if solid pipes rub with sandpaper then slather with grease or a bit of chassis wax, if flexis they're rubber.
Coil springs just wire brush and coat with wax or something flexible but I've never heard that advisory before - back covering going on I think
  • BorniteIdentity likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
BorniteIdentity

#14557 OFFLINE   AngusToledo

AngusToledo

• Full Members
  • 2,419 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationEel Pie Duckpond

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

Any ideas on this one? To the right of the top part of my driveway is a four foot wide strip of grass which belongs to my neighbour. That's her fence panel to the right of my garage.
She employs a gardener (she's elderly) who appears once every couple of weeks and cuts her grass. My issue is that he uses a strimmer right next to my car, which is sat on the drive most of the time (I have a different car as a daily). I'd got the thing as clean as a pin last weekend and when I got back from work on Monday the whole side of my car was sprayed with grass cuttings. This is a very regular occurrence.
I had a chat with him a while back, but it was basically water off a duck's back. I'm normally at work when he visits, too.
It probably sounds petty, but it boils my piss that I can't actually keep my car clean due to this strimmer-happy fella.
I could do with some sort of low fence or something, but the drive is narrow enough as it is. Maybe I need to offer to gravel the area for her?! Here's the area in question:

Attached Images

• IMG_20170514_200517.jpg

Them yellow cubes from out of a proper old-school urinal are easy to sneak in and a better buzz than any modern chemical shit. Never done me any harm.

#14558 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 17,245 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

Car cover?

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#14559 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,294 posts
  • 23 thanks

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

What about asking your neighbour if it's ok for you to cut that bit of grass instead as her gardener is covering your car in crap every time he does it?
Assuming you have a mower.
  • KruJoe, catsinthewelder and BorniteIdentity like this

#14560 OFFLINE   AngusToledo

AngusToledo

• Full Members
  • 2,419 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

Car cover?

Can't stand the fugging things. Do more damage than good, but cheers for the thought :).

What about asking your neighbour if it's ok for you to cut that bit of grass instead as her gardener is covering your car in crap every time he does it?
Assuming you have a mower.

That's actually not a bad idea. I knew it would be worth bouncing the question around on here! I've got a decent mower, and it wouldn't take two minutes to do that strip when cutting my grass. I guess the only thing is that it joins onto her main front grass, and may look a bit funny if it's shorter than the rest of her grass, but it could still work.

Them yellow cubes from out of a proper old-school urinal are easy to sneak in and a better buzz than any modern chemical shit. Never done me any harm.

#14561 OFFLINE   steveo3002

steveo3002

• Full Members
  • 544 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Locationsaffron walden

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

explain he's causing damage to the car and ignored you , offer to cut that patch to save the agro

if that fails spill some weed killer on it all

• robinmasters likes this

#14562 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 2,361 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

Mow the lot?

You might find that the good will is returned. My neighbour now lets me have full run of his driveway every time he's off on holiday (monthly) and looks after our place in return.
All because I cut his front grass.
  • KruJoe, tooSavvy and andy18s like this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  212k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  180k|   1994 Mercedes C180.  125k|   1983 Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#14563 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,515 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

Mow the lot?

My neighbour partner now now lets me have full run of his her drive runway

All because I cut his front grass offer a trim  8)

E. F. Savv Humour only....

TS

• Hooli likes this

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#14564 OFFLINE   andy18s

andy18s

• Full Members
  • 2,594 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Mow the lot?

You might find that the good will is returned. My neighbour now lets me have full run of his driveway every time he's off on holiday (monthly) and looks after our place in return.
All because I cut his front grass.

We've just had a neighbour come and cut our "verge" between the boundary wall and the road for free if he could take the grass for his horse
It's a good 60mx2m bit of land,all done with a scythe...
2x Vivaro vans.....for now amyway

#14565 OFFLINE   steveo3002

steveo3002

• Full Members
  • 544 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Locationsaffron walden

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

double win if you cut it then the stroppy gardener will get less work or the sack lol

#14566 OFFLINE   AngusToledo

AngusToledo

• Full Members
  • 2,419 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

She's in her eighties and has a huge back garden, hence the need for a gardener. She didn't like it much last time I chatted to her (couple of years back) about her gardener decorating the side of my car with her garden on a weekly basis, so I've left it in the meantime. However, it's getting daft now, and the gardener fella isn't interested in my gripes.
My grade will need a cut at the weekend. I reckon I'll propose the 'trim the area by my car' theory suggested above, and see what she says. She's a very shrewd old dear, so I imagine she'll probably try and charge me for walking on her grass or something. Nothing ventured though...
Watch this space!

#14567 OFFLINE   doobietoo

doobietoo

• Full Members
  • 2,064 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationDeepest Darzet

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

Buy a piece of plastic, and build a little wooden frame to fix it to, like a little fence. put it out when you know gardener is coming....

1964 Austin 1100      ...shell in storage

1977 VDP 1500         ...rusty barn find...work in progress

1959 Austin A35        ...started weldathon / brakeathon / electricathon

2000 Saab 93            ...engine donor

2003 PT Cruiser       .... petrol  weekend toy

2003 PT Cruiser       .... diesel work van

#14568 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

Tell the ignorant cunt to be more careful. Its his fucking job, he should be able to do it without causing damage to other peoples property. If he gets pissy ask him what sort of third party liability insurance he has since chip repair and colour matching can be quite expensive.......

• trigger, DeeJay, mercrocker and 7 others like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
AngusToledo

#14569 OFFLINE   clayts450

clayts450

• Full Members
  • 340 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

Not driven for 18 years. Looking to buy a car ultimately to do regular 200 mile round trips some time this summer. Should I have a refresher driving lesson do we think ?

My shite CV 1986-date

1986-1988 1969 VW Beetle 1300 (two years)

1988-1990 1977 Morris Marina 1.3 Super (two years)

approx 1998 1983 Skoda Estelle 120L (a month)

approx 1998 year unknown marque forgotten Metro engine size, who cares (a month)

approx 1998 1998 brand new Vauxhall Corsa hire car (failed to start one morning, AA called) (a week)

1999 year unknown Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6 (Dad knockoff, fucked it within a week)

1999-2016 semi-retired from driving due to previous choice of shite cars

2017 2004 Rover Streetwise S 1.4 84ps

#14570 OFFLINE   AngusToledo

AngusToledo

• Full Members
  • 2,419 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

Tell the ignorant cunt to be more careful. Its his fucking job, he should be able to do it without causing damage to other peoples property. If he gets pissy ask him what sort of third party liability insurance he has since chip repair and colour matching can be quite expensive.......

I'm glad someone said this. I let it drag on despite being fecking fuming each time, as the gardener fella was nonchalant, the neighbour is elderly and I didn't want to 'the bastard that causes stress'. However, I've had enough now, and it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks the gardener is being bloody careless.
  • Hooli likes this

#14571 ONLINE   trigger

trigger

• Full Members
  • 20,185 posts
  • 66 thanks
  • LocationIpswich

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:04 PM

Not driven for 18 years. Looking to buy a car ultimately to do regular 200 mile round trips some time this summer. Should I have a refresher driving lesson do we think ?

It depends how confidant you feel, personally I'd have a couple of lessons as driving styles have changed a lot in 18 years and everything is much quicker now.
  • clayts450 likes this

1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500 SE

1983 Rover 2600SE SD1

2004 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec

#14572 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

I do that stuff for a living and it chaffs my pisser to see folk casually swinging a Stihl around valuable things without a care in the world. Even the cheapest strimmer can fling a stone hard enough to chip paint or injure a passer-by.

• AngusToledo and purplebargeken like this

#14573 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 4,725 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

And if that doesn't work ram the strimmer up his arse & turn it on.

• AngusToledo and tinribs like this

#14574 OFFLINE   AngusToledo

AngusToledo

• Full Members
  • 2,419 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

I do that stuff for a living and it chaffs my pisser to see folk casually swinging a Stihl around valuable things without a care in the world. Even the cheapest strimmer can fling a stone hard enough to chip paint or injure a passer-by.

It's undoubtedly flung a stone or two at my car in the two years I've owned it. I'll chat to the neighbour first. My biggest issue is I'm going to struggle to chat to the gardener directly as 95% of the time when he visits, I'm at work.

*Edit - I'm going to chat directly to the gardener next time I see him. Don't think it's fair of me to involve my elderly neighbour. Just need to catch the fecker.

#14575 OFFLINE   AngusToledo

AngusToledo

• Full Members
  • 2,419 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

And if that doesn't work ram the strimmer up his arse & turn it on.

I'll be honest, I've been tempted.
  • Hooli likes this

#14576 OFFLINE   Chas4545

Chas4545

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 83 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Old Renault van sort of Transit sized, 04 with a mahoosive lifting tailgate - so, why cant I lock the friggin tailgate ????  Is there some secret to it???

Many thanks for any helpful suggestions.

#14577 OFFLINE   3VOM

3VOM

• Full Members
  • 450 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

Clio mk2 1.2 16v. Won't start, turns over briefly then stops, never fires. Code reader can't connect to ECU to check for any faults. Possible suspects are crank sensor or ECU connections. Any thoughts?

What's the retail on one of those plumbed in fire extinguisher systems?

#14578 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

A lot of companies claim to be a one-stop shop

• Full Members
  • 3,144 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

They're know for crank sensors, but it should turn over and over and over without firing if that's the case

#14579 ONLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

Clio mk2 1.2 16v. Won't start, turns over briefly then stops, never fires. Code reader can't connect to ECU to check for any faults. Possible suspects are crank sensor or ECU connections. Any thoughts?

Wet wiring to the ecu where it's rubbed through from the plastic cover?

Wet fuse box behind passenger headlight?

LAST OWNER WAS SON OF A BANKER

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if it is broke just ignore it, and maybe it'll be sort of OK...?

#14580 OFFLINE   Danblez

Danblez

• Full Members
  • 766 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSouthportish

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

It shouldn't do this, there is almost certainly an issue

HTH.
  • loserone and Hooli like this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Jazoli, egg