Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stupid question amnesty

• Please log in to reply
14882 replies to this topic

#14221 OFFLINE   phil_lihp

phil_lihp

• Full Members
  • 4,162 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

This is probably a really stupid question but it's stumped me so far.  

There's a lot of engine noise getting into my Hiace's cab and the main culprit is the rubber gaitor thing around the base of the steering column where it goes through the floor.  It's disintegrated and is therefore in dire need of replacement but I haven't had any luck finding one.  Main problem being, I don't even know what to call it...grommet?  Bush?  Gaitor?  I've tried everything I can think of and I can't even find a picture of it, let alone anywhere selling one.  

It consists of a metal collar and some sort of rubber bit but the original is so far gone I can't really tell what it should look like.  

Any clues?

• tooSavvy likes this

#14222 ONLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,192 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

^^^ 45292 ?

http://www.tojo4wdce...uiser-80-series

TS
  • phil_lihp likes this

Damn! I have broken my heir line......

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

caravanning.jpgSUCKS

Thanked by 1 Member:
phil_lihp

#14223 OFFLINE   hhhugues

hhhugues

• Full Members
  • 208 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

I hate to do this but I have to ask yet another boring question about my Mondeo. The alternator is toast. I'm considering getting a 2d hand one and attempting to change it myself because the car is basically worth £0 and that also happens to be roughly the budget I have to either get it sorted or find a replacement.

There isn't very much online to guide me through the process, but the couple youtube videos I have seen indicate that it could quickly turn into a total ballache. For starters it would involve taking off a tracking rod to gain access, which i'm a little nervous about. Bear in mind the extend of my experience as far as working on this car (or any other come to think of it), is basic oil/filter change, removing and cleaning the EGR, and changing the battery. I like shite to look at and drive (so to speak), not so much to fettle with.  

Essentially, my question is: Is it worth having a go, or am I just going to end up wasting a day before inevitably calling for someone to take the damn thing away? 

Thanks, and I promise to post about an interesting car at some point soon!

If it is worth nothing and you have the time plus don't need the car back asap then have a go.

Where are you located?

So I had a go. Went as far as removing the wheel and the protective panel behind it, and swiftly concluded that I had neither the tools or the patience / ability for the task. My local garage reckons they could put a used alternator (if i can find one) for £120. That sounds reasonable enough for labour i would think? 

On the other hand, another thing that made it a pain in the arse to work on the car is that the whole engine is incrediby dirty, and i don;t think its oil. If it's fuel, is that an automatic MOT failure? it's been like that for a while now. Given the state of the car, I really have to think twice about investing any money at all in this thing. Any advice on this welcome!

#14224 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 2,921 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

My binoculars are not powerful enough to let me see into your engine bay from here.

Post photos.

• The Moog, scaryoldcortina, DeeJay and 2 others like this

#14225 OFFLINE   hhhugues

hhhugues

• Full Members
  • 208 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

Ha, good point. Will do that tomorrow. It's literally coated the whole engine and definitely doesn't have the viscosity of oil. 

#14226 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 3,989 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

Why has an exhaust blowing slightly at the first joint lost me 1/2 a mile per litre? 4 strokes don't need back pressure do they?

Yes they do. You need a back pressure wave from the exhaust to scavenge the cylinder properly. hence why four branch manifolds etc for tuning as it's the first joint/box that causes the wave to return.

• blyteee likes this

#14227 OFFLINE   Station

Station

• Full Members
  • 9,792 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

What are the chances of getting a Capri cheap anymore?
I think I've left it too late. :(

#14228 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 3,989 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

Barn find, needs restoration, all complete....£1k

Attached Images

• Dustpan of Rust.jpg

• Des, DeeJay, blyteee and 2 others like this

#14229 ONLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

So I sort-of just witnessed a hit and run.

I was sitting in my front room, when I heard a thud outside. I saw a silver mark 1 Focus with an L plate on the back reverse into my street from a side street, then fuck off at high speed.

I wandered round the corner and saw the front corner of a parked Peugeot 208 caved in. I knocked on some doors and found out who owns it, but there was no answer at that house. Do I put a note through their letter box? I didn't get the number plate of the Focus, unfortunately.

EDIT: Never mind. I've put a note through their letter box with a description of the car, explaining I didn't see the number plate though, and gave them my name and address if they want to speak to me.

• Lacquer Peel, gordonbennet and Hooli like this

#14230 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 2,921 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Too late. Which is a massive pisser as I now want one too.

I was picking my nephew up from his Rugby training yesterday and as I was shambling through the carpark I heard a rare noise in amongst the usual diesel clatter that all cars make now....an old skool burbling. I spun round to see a lovely black mkIII Capri going past. It had that "looked after but driven daily" look to it. Only a 1.6L, but it was a really beautiful sight amongst the amorphous blobs that pass as cars these days.

#14231 OFFLINE   3VOM

3VOM

• Full Members
  • 396 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

My binoculars are not powerful enough to let me see into your engine bay from here.

Post photos.

CnFrkUVXEAAuOUT.jpg

• Lacquer Peel and dave21478 like this

What's the retail on one of those plumbed in fire extinguisher systems?

#14232 OFFLINE   phil_lihp

phil_lihp

• Full Members
  • 4,162 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Excellent work, Sherlock!  Well done, I would have been searching for months.

http://www.ebay.co.u...0-/321817159511

And lo and behold, a UK seller.  Marvellous stuff, thank you very much.

• tooSavvy likes this

#14233 ONLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,192 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Cheatterz sozz ;)

I have the 'back door' on a fuckoff humongous database of Toyota shizzle [I dig shit up for ToMM© using the VINchassis no].

Just reset for your rig.....

TS

Damn! I have broken my heir line......

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

caravanning.jpgSUCKS

#14234 OFFLINE   Crusty Sills

Crusty Sills

• Full Members
  • 502 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

How do you look back at an ebay listing that's finshed?

Want to look at a car that has been on before and want to read original advert.

'12 Mazda CX5 2.2d  (Family)

'03 Seat Ibiza 1.2 (Daily)

'69 VW Beetle 1500 (Restored)

#14235 OFFLINE   barmatt

barmatt

• Full Members
  • 690 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationNorth Norfolk

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

Browsing motors on swapz, one catches my interest so try to check out its history. It doesn't show up on the gov mot site or their vehicle check but it does show up on the car check app on my phone. Any ideas why?

#14236 ONLINE   Richard

Richard

• Full Members
  • 11,010 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

You do a search that would bring the item up (description or all items from that seller etc) and tick the Completed Listings box on the left.
  • adw1977 likes this

#14237 OFFLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 2,697 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

Browsing motors on swapz, one catches my interest so try to check out its history. It doesn't show up on the gov mot site or their vehicle check but it does show up on the car check app on my phone. Any ideas why?

Could it have been wearing a private numberplate until recently?

96 Disastra Estate in Vulgalours hat purple

94 Peugeot 405                               Borked

93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI won't stop
72 Austin 1100                                won't go

#14238 OFFLINE   barmatt

barmatt

• Full Members
  • 690 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationNorth Norfolk

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

Could it have been wearing a private numberplate until recently?

That is the only conclusion that I could make and the apps update their info quicker than the Gov sites do.

#14239 OFFLINE   Des

Des

• Full Members
  • 1,925 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationWatford

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:43 AM

This tyre is looking a bit iffy,

IMG_0728.jpg

That's what I get for running a sick ass low profile, I wonder if I can glue in a gaiter, maybe a piece of leather or seatbelt, and now a front caliper has broken, have I angered the Gods?

Festering scum of the earth, yer motoring public.

#14240 OFFLINE   hhhugues

hhhugues

• Full Members
  • 208 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

So I had a go. Went as far as removing the wheel and the protective panel behind it, and swiftly concluded that I had neither the tools or the patience / ability for the task. My local garage reckons they could put a used alternator (if i can find one) for £120. That sounds reasonable enough for labour i would think? 

On the other hand, another thing that made it a pain in the arse to work on the car is that the whole engine is incrediby dirty, and i don;t think its oil. If it's fuel, is that an automatic MOT failure? it's been like that for a while now. Given the state of the car, I really have to think twice about investing any money at all in this thing. Any advice on this welcome!

Post photos.

So here are some photos of the engine. Sorry it took a while 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google...a3ZJNEI0c3lzWTg

Sorry also that I've forgotten how to post photos properly. The engine looks rather shiny from afar actually - not sure if that will be helpful..

#14241 ONLINE   Stanky

Stanky

Forum Bursar

• Full Members
  • 1,506 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationFareham

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

2 and a half year old battery, removed from a car before it was scrapped 18 months ago. not been charged since. Will it be kippered? Its on freecycle currently and I have a trickle charger, is it worth bothering with or will it be stuffed?

1996 Nissan Almera GX (departed)
2003 Toyota Yaris
2004 SAAB 9-3

Posted Image

#14242 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

A lot of companies claim to be a one-stop shop

• Full Members
  • 3,031 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

If it was fully charged when removed it'll be ok. If it was left flat it'll be shagged. Depends how lucky you're feeling.

#14243 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 2,921 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

So here are some photos of the engine. Sorry it took a while 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google...a3ZJNEI0c3lzWTg

Sorry also that I've forgotten how to post photos properly. The engine looks rather shiny from afar actually - not sure if that will be helpful..

Assuming the oil cap itself isnt leaking and assuming its not old oil from previously careless topping up spillages, I would be looking at the injector return lines - the small bore plastic pipes that come from each injector and take excess fuel away....They are probably perished and seeping.

Otherwise, buy a couple of cans of brake cleaner and spray them all over the place to clean that crud off - dont do this on your immaculate block paved driveway - then once its dry dust it lightly with talcum powder and drive for a while to see if new traces are visible.

• hhhugues and Bobthebeard like this

#14244 ONLINE   Stanky

Stanky

Forum Bursar

• Full Members
  • 1,506 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationFareham

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

If it was fully charged when removed it'll be ok. If it was left flat it'll be shagged. Depends how lucky you're feeling.

Since its free I shall give it a shot, worst case scenario is that its had it and I take it to the dump (where I'll be going anyway) - best case scenario I have a spare car battery.

2003 Toyota Yaris
2004 SAAB 9-3

Posted Image

#14245 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 866 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

Since its free I shall give it a shot, worst case scenario is that its had it and I take it to get weighed in - best case scenario I have a spare car battery.

EFA

• tooSavvy, Stanky and 3VOM like this

1968 Morris Minor 1000

1957 Morris Minor 1000

1968 Land Rover 

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1

1998 Volvo 940

1972 Triumph Toledo

1986 Talbot Express Camper

#14246 OFFLINE   scaryoldcortina

scaryoldcortina

• Full Members
  • 5,198 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationUnderground, overground. Wombling free....

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Assuming the oil cap itself isnt leaking and assuming its not old oil from previously careless topping up spillages, I would be looking at the injector return lines - the small bore plastic pipes that come from each injector and take excess fuel away....They are probably perished and seeping.

Otherwise, buy a couple of cans of brake cleaner and spray them all over the place to clean that crud off - dont do this on your immaculate block paved driveway - then once its dry dust it lightly with talcum powder and drive for a while to see if new traces are visible.

Looks more like leaky injector seals to me, look at all the crap pooling around the injectors themselves, and the black carbon from blowby. You get a high pressure misting too which settles everywhere as a greasy film.
  • hhhugues likes this

#14247 OFFLINE   hhhugues

hhhugues

• Full Members
  • 208 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

Looks more like leaky injector seals to me, look at all the crap pooling around the injectors themselves, and the black carbon from blowby. You get a high pressure misting too which settles everywhere as a greasy film.

Thanks both, that's all useful advice. I'm pretty certain it's not oil, so some sort leaky injector issue is more likely. I'll try the clean + talcum technique and see what it tells me anyway, assuming i can get the car started after a good charge.

In the case of either leaky pipes or seals, do you reckon it means a) MOT failure, b ) lots of money to put right? I have literally no idea, and that's really the two main things that will inform my decision to either throw more money at the car or weight it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14248 OFFLINE   scaryoldcortina

scaryoldcortina

• Full Members
  • 5,198 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationUnderground, overground. Wombling free....

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

Might fail for fuel leak if there are puddles around the injectors and on the rocker cover, might also fail a smoke test if the seals are badly gone. Leaky injectors are also costing you power and MPG and will get worse. Refurbed injectors and new sealing washers are the fix, but budget for at least £300.

Do as dave says first though, because leaky return lines will only cost a few quid to sort.

Edit - it's hard to start? It's the injectors.

#14249 ONLINE   Stanky

Stanky

Forum Bursar

• Full Members
  • 1,506 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationFareham

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

Battery collected and been on trickle charge for ~12h now and still going so we shall see what it looks like when i get home from work. Odds are as follows:

2/1 - Still charging

4/1 - Charger packed up

11/1 - Shed on fire

35/1 - Finished charging

Bet NAO!

• spike60 likes this
2003 Toyota Yaris
2004 SAAB 9-3

Posted Image

#14250 OFFLINE   LessThanEqual

LessThanEqual

• Full Members
  • 307 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

I've got round to buying a cheapo OBD cable for my Ibiza in an attempt to fix the bugger. VCDS lite is giving me these codes:

19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) - Signal out of range P3008

18027 - Glow Plug Relay (J52): Open or Short to Ground P1619

17932 - Fuel Pump Relay (J17): Open or Short to Ground P1542 - Intermittent

17957 - Boost Pressure Regulation Valve (N75): Open or Short to Ground P1549 -- Intermittent

ATD engine code.

The car starts fine, glow plug relay can be heard clicking on and off and started fine in cold weather, fuel pump primes fine, all it does is go into limp mode at random (and usually at the worst) times. Sometimes I can chug along up a hill at 50 in 5th without problems, other times it'll go into limp mode just as I'm about to go on the A47 in the outside lane. Any pointers would be appreciated.

55 Seat Ibiza """Sport""" 1.9 TDI @ 133k -- More shit than shite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users