Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Grumpy old man/pedant thread.Please feel free to add.

• Please log in to reply
64874 replies to this topic

#62821 ONLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 1,945 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

Dont you just love some teenage gobshite with a hard-man attitude telling you the facts* because he has worked in a parts store for eighteen months and is an expert on everything?

Oh really? you NEED my registration number to check the fitment of this universal 40mm exhaust clamp before you sell it to me do you? Right, well its for a custom thing that your precious computer wont list, so lets not bother eh? Oh, you want to write "guarantee void" in big letters on my receipt because you think I am going to "misuse" it? well, you go right ahead if that makes you feel better, the receipt was going in the bin outside your door anyway.  :roll:

I dunno man. Its not just garages either.....I dont know if its an "Im getting older and less tolerant" thing or if its a "young folk are getting more cuntish" thing. I find it impossible to spend any length of time in a public place without wanting to zap someone in the face with a cattle prod.

Its an everybodys more cuntish thing, young or old. latest example, went to a massive breakers yard last week as i had it on good authority they had a Jetta in, theyve about 700 cars, everything from scrapped to accident damaged stuff thats now had a CoD issued, burnt out wrecks and a for sale section where they are selling off damaged repairable moderns, Goes in, guy "what you after" I said "any Jettas in, i need a few various bits and pieces, trim, interior, exterior trim, etc." he goes "gives 5 mins im busy the now with someone else" he then says "what year?" i said mines a 2009 but any Jetta from 2005 to 2010 will be the same as mine and should hopefully have what I need, same with mk5 Golfs" he says "i cant walk round the full yard showing you all the Golfs ive got theres loads" so he takes me to this Jetta, has a pen and a notepad and says right tell me what you want and ill list it and give you a price, i said I need various bits but i cant remember absolutely everything, Ill know as I work round the car and bring it all to the desk for a price" he says no you wont, im not leaving you alone with a car to take bits off thats not how we work, tell you what make a list of what you need and come back another day and hand me it and ill let you know if its there and a price, cos otherwise youre just wasting my time and your own. Absolute jobsworth.

I couldve found other stuff on a high spec Golf I didnt need as a necessity but wouldve bought if I saw something I wanted for my car and didnt know they had it. Similarly I couldve seen an Audi/Passat/Scirocco or something with nice wheels on it I wanted to buy, guy wouldve made more money out of me, everyones happy, why do you necessarily need a specific part before you go to a scrappy? Seems most are heading this way now, and I got the impression this yard was the sort where the prices wouldnt be far off the price of a brand new part! I dont mind if theyve already removed a part, if you go to a car and you see something you want and its not fitted and you ask, and theyve got it on a shelf, fair enough, saves me removing it. 

By comparison I went to another in Paisley and Renfrew, the Paisley one I told the guy I was after a Golf, he said "theyre all down there, help yourself" and as such he made 20quid out of me on an interior mirror and a couple of switches, not mega money but stuff I wouldnt have bought if I wasnt left to look around the car and see what it had on it. Renfrew place advised me where all their Golfs were dotted about and werent arsed when they saw me looking around Passats, Polos, Audis, Seat's etc. and just said when I was leaving, not find what you were after? i should have more Golfs in at the end of the week, just come back down and try again. 

I get that folk may rob daft little bits, not that I condone it, but for the sake of stuff worth about 2 quid all in to them like trim clips or screws, for letting someone have a wander they could end up with a couple of hundred quid for an interior, or wheels, or panels or an engine or box. 

• Lacquer Peel, mercrocker, gordonbennet and 1 other like this

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#62822 OFFLINE   andy18s

andy18s

• Full Members
  • 2,600 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Its an everybodys more cuntish thing, young or old. latest example, went to a massive breakers yard last week as i had it on good authority they had a Jetta in, theyve about 700 cars, everything from scrapped to accident damaged stuff thats now had a CoD issued, burnt out wrecks and a for sale section where they are selling off damaged repairable moderns, Goes in, guy "what you after" I said "any Jettas in, i need a few various bits and pieces, trim, interior, exterior trim, etc." he goes "gives 5 mins im busy the now with someone else" he then says "what year?" i said mines a 2009 but any Jetta from 2005 to 2010 will be the same as mine and should hopefully have what I need, same with mk5 Golfs" he says "i cant walk round the full yard showing you all the Golfs ive got theres loads" so he takes me to this Jetta, has a pen and a notepad and says right tell me what you want and ill list it and give you a price, i said I need various bits but i cant remember absolutely everything, Ill know as I work round the car and bring it all to the desk for a price" he says no you wont, im not leaving you alone with a car to take bits off thats not how we work, tell you what make a list of what you need and come back another day and hand me it and ill let you know if its there and a price, cos otherwise youre just wasting my time and your own. Absolute jobsworth.

They'll be wanting the reg number soon......
Oh
2x Vivaro vans.....for now amyway

#62823 OFFLINE   Jazoli

Jazoli

• Full Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe Lakes

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

I couldve found other stuff on a high spec Golf I didnt need as a necessity but wouldve bought if I saw something I wanted for my car and didnt know they had it. Similarly I couldve seen an Audi/Passat/Scirocco or something with nice wheels on it I wanted to buy, guy wouldve made more money out of me, everyones happy, why do you necessarily need a specific part before you go to a scrappy? Seems most are heading this way now, and I got the impression this yard was the sort where the prices wouldnt be far off the price of a brand new part! I dont mind if theyve already removed a part, if you go to a car and you see something you want and its not fitted and you ask, and theyve got it on a shelf, fair enough, saves me removing it. 

By comparison I went to another in Paisley and Renfrew, the Paisley one I told the guy I was after a Golf, he said "theyre all down there, help yourself" and as such he made 20quid out of me on an interior mirror and a couple of switches, not mega money but stuff I wouldnt have bought if I wasnt left to look around the car and see what it had on it. Renfrew place advised me where all their Golfs were dotted about and werent arsed when they saw me looking around Passats, Polos, Audis, Seat's etc. and just said when I was leaving, not find what you were after? i should have more Golfs in at the end of the week, just come back down and try again. 

I get that folk may rob daft little bits, not that I condone it, but for the sake of stuff worth about 2 quid all in to them like trim clips or screws, for letting someone have a wander they could end up with a couple of hundred quid for an interior, or wheels, or panels or an engine or box. 

Thing is I can see where the breaker is coming from, my local scrappy is an old style help yourself one (the owner is about to retire and is winding down slowly) people take the absolute piss when removing parts, absolutely trashing the car to get what they need , rather than taking it apart properly, this means the scrappy is losing money from that car as someone who may need a different part finds that its fucked because its been trashed by the bloke wanting the bit behind it. 

• myglaren, Sheefag and Tamworthbay like this

sigs are shit, wgaf?

#62824 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 4,250 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

Most companies are putting pressure on the staff to maximise this and efficiency drive that. Tying up any little loop hole and logging and recording everything.
The days of help yourself scrap yards where your £20 went straight into the back pocket are sadly behind us.
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#62825 ONLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 2,347 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

I dunno man. Its not just garages either.....I dont know if its an "Im getting older and less tolerant" thing or if its a "young folk are getting more cuntish" thing. I find it impossible to spend any length of time in a public place without wanting to zap someone in the face with a cattle prod.

LAST OWNER WAS SON OF A BANKER

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if it is broke just ignore it, and maybe it'll be sort of OK...?

#62826 OFFLINE   3VOM

3VOM

• Full Members
  • 451 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

.....tell you what make a list of what you need and come back another day and hand me it and ill let you know if its there and a price, cos otherwise youre just wasting my time and your own. Absolute jobsworth.

And of course you wouldn't be wasting his time with a list of 50 items most of which you say "I'm not paying that for one of those" to.

• Craig the Princess likes this

What's the retail on one of those plumbed in fire extinguisher systems?

#62827 OFFLINE   EssDeeWon

EssDeeWon

• Validating
  • 3,768 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationEssex

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

My grandad passed away this evening, didn't quite make his 90th that he had been planning.

A true shiter having owned a rotten green Viva, a blue Marina Estate then an A reg Ital estate in red. Only last year he was sorting out his loft and found a BNIB Austin Meastro water pump that he gladfully donated to a fellow shiter of this parish.

RIP grandad it was always a pleasure.

2000 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur Auto  (Primrose Yellow)

#62828 OFFLINE   ChinaTom

ChinaTom

• Full Members
  • 1,629 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationUnder the Eye

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

Condolences.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

'93 Jaguar XJ12, '05 Great Wall Deer, '61 M-B E350CDi Estate

#62829 OFFLINE   Mr Lobster

Mr Lobster

• Full Members
  • 7,277 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSomewhere.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

Sorry for your loss.

#62830 OFFLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Staff
  • 34,605 posts
  • 118 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Sorry to hear that, EssDeeWon.

"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#62831 ONLINE   trigger

trigger

• Full Members
  • 20,191 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationIpswich

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Sorry for your loss too.

1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500 SE

1983 Rover 2600SE SD1

2004 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec

#62832 ONLINE   eddyramrod

eddyramrod

The Crimson Avenger

• Full Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationTiny terraced hutch in a cramped street

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

RIP Grandad.

The Blob: 2007 Chevrolet Tacuma (wheelchair bus)

Giffer: 1995 Rover 820Si

Huggy Bear: 1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

Mr ramrod is the nicest person in the world  (Chompy_snake, 2015)

Eddy is the finest fellow you will ever meet,  FACT (Djimbob, 2017)

#62833 OFFLINE   UmBongo

UmBongo

• Full Members
  • 2,021 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationIn The Congo (With Bodie)

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

Go to SCB at Newbridge. You can wander around all day, come out with a handful of shite and they'll charge you a fiver, geezer.

UmBongo

''I say what I like and I like what I bloody well say.''

George Whitebread, Yorkshireman

#62834 OFFLINE   UmBongo

UmBongo

• Full Members
  • 2,021 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationIn The Congo (With Bodie)

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

This is Larkhall where lived last year before moving to London. Fiat FTP'ed a few days before the grand move and was (until yesterday) still loaded to the gills with boxes and moving house stuff. There was £400 worth of office chair in the back* but the idiots would rather faff about ripping out a £40 radio! Easier to conceal I suppose... I don't want to do the area down though, we lived a few miles out of the town and never really had any issues. Why did I choose that place to fix and MoT? It was the nearest place walkable from the train station for the collection.

*Seicentos are like vans with the seats down

Larkhall where they are so staunchly Protestant the curbstones are painted red, white and blue.

• M'coli and cms206 like this

UmBongo

''I say what I like and I like what I bloody well say.''

George Whitebread, Yorkshireman

#62835 ONLINE   cms206

cms206

SVENSK STIL

• Full Members
  • 4,483 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationVolvograd

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

Larkhall where they are so staunchly Protestant the curbstones are painted red, white and blue.

It's the cages on the green traffic lights that get me every time.

That and Subway having a black background on their sign.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • Eddie Honda likes this

'87 Volvo 740 Turbo - GRASSY

'88 Volvo 740GLE - COUNCIL ESTATE INNIT
'94 Volvo 850GLT 2.0-20v - BROKEN
'95 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8i GLS - AWAITING DISPOSAL

'96 Volvo 850 S 2.5-10v - ROTTEN

'99 Kia Pride 1.3SX - DECAYING

'01 Volvo S60 T5 SE - FAST AS RAZZ

#62836 OFFLINE   gm

gm

• Full Members
  • 825 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Locationedinburgh

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

I once met a retired teacher from Glasgow who would challenge her pupils to explain the differences in beliefs between Catholics and Protestants - not one of them could give a decent answer

:(
  • Lacquer Peel likes this

#62837 OFFLINE   gm

gm

• Full Members
  • 825 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Locationedinburgh

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

the breakers in bonnybridge is pretty good, they just let you wander round and harvest parts then take them to the office for a price (younger bloke seems to charge a bit more than the older bloke)

#62838 ONLINE   Aston Martin

Aston Martin

• Full Members
  • 741 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHull

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Stupid Cactus, tyre got replaced a few weeks ago. Last week I was away all week, used the car this morning "tyre pressures low, check pressures"

Fuck me, I can't afford another £180 tyre. So I pull over, bugger all wrong. I've reset the tyre system and hopefully it's fixed.
<p>1993 Fiat Panda Parade

If you're going to have a funky car, have it in a funky colour.

#62839 ONLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 1,945 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

This should really be in the grin thread but I'm not grinning so meh! Without going into mahoosive detail on a public forum, on Thursday I was in court and found not guilty of a crime I didn't even commit anyway, should be grinning about that, but on the same day I find out I've been getting lied to for weeks upon weeks, stabbed in the back, painted as a horrible monster and made out a creep and a nutter, and something I was majorly looking forward to which got me through all the time awaiting the trial date has gone to shit and I feel very empty. I could go out and do anything I wanted right now but I don't know what to do with myself, struggling to even get out of bed.
  • Lankytim likes this

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#62840 OFFLINE   bub2006

bub2006

• Full Members
  • 7,046 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Locationderbyshire

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

Condolences on grandfather essdeewon. Hendry sorry to hear of year predicament too.
  • Hendry likes this

#62841 OFFLINE   jonathan_dyane

jonathan_dyane

• Full Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Last month some scally youth's followed me back from an ATM and robbed me of £50 as I arrived home. The Police had CCTV of them in the local paper yesterday and I've just spotted them lurking around outside with the mandatory pitbull...

1997 Nissan Primera GT

1979 Citroen GS Club Estate (rusty)
1951 David Brown 30D (derelict)

1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

2004 Tomos Noped

#62842 OFFLINE   M'coli

M'coli

• Full Members
  • 7,181 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

Stupid Cactus, tyre got replaced a few weeks ago. Last week I was away all week, used the car this morning "tyre pressures low, check pressures"

Fuck me, I can't afford another £180 tyre. So I pull over, bugger all wrong. I've reset the tyre system and hopefully it's fixed.

£180 for a single tyre? How the fuck? The Cactus was meant to be a cheap car wasn't it?

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#62843 ONLINE   Aston Martin

Aston Martin

• Full Members
  • 741 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHull

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

£180 for a single tyre? How the fuck? The Cactus was meant to be a cheap car wasn't it?

Sorry it was £112.

#62844 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 4,773 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

Sorry it was £112.

£112 for a single tyre? How the fuck? The Cactus was meant to be a cheap car wasn't it?

• wuvvum, M'coli, myglaren and 4 others like this

#62845 ONLINE   Aston Martin

Aston Martin

• Full Members
  • 741 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHull

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

£112 for a single tyre? How the fuck? The Cactus was meant to be a cheap car wasn't it?

Being a leasey PCP, i put the same make tyre on.

#62846 OFFLINE   M'coli

M'coli

• Full Members
  • 7,181 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Aye, but naw - seriously, how the fuck?  Is it gold plated or needs gold balance weights or is it some stupid fuckwitted size or something?

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#62847 OFFLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Staff
  • 34,605 posts
  • 118 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

One of my mates died the other day. Used to go drinking with him in the 90's, he was one those characters who just always made you laugh, proper 'life and soul' job and never ha d a dull second with him. He collapsed and died in the street in his 40's :( 

"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#62848 ONLINE   Aston Martin

Aston Martin

• Full Members
  • 741 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHull

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

Aye, but naw - seriously, how the fuck? Is it gold plated or needs gold balance weights or is it some stupid fuckwitted size or something?

17" Goodyear I think. But don't forget, fitting, disposal, other bullshit fees etc.

#62849 OFFLINE   alcyonecorporation

alcyonecorporation

• Full Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationNagasaki Towpath

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

Top bullshit comments regarding the 305 today:

1. Old boy [upon hearing the 305's exhaust slap into the underside] "Now then young man, that's your propshaft."
Me: It doesn't have a propshaft, it's front wheel drive.
OB: Now, now, I've been working on cars for 30 years, longer than you've been alive.
Me: You're getting this confused with a 505. This is a 305. They were always front wheel drive.
*OB walks round the back of the car, mutters to himself and buggers off*

2. Car in front stops at the end of and exit slip road despite their lane following round, merging and terminating at the mini roundabout. They sit there for nearly a minute, with no traffic in the vicinity, until I flash my lights. Their rear seat passengers look at me boggle eyed and gesticulate. As they peel off for another junction, we end up side by side at a set of lights.

[I can't do a heavy Norfolk accent so you'll have to imagine it].

Driver: Someone with a car in that state doesn't get to tell me how to drive.
Me: So because my car's old, I don't know what I'm doing? You don't stop on a merge lane, mate. You stop at the roundabout further along the road after it merges with the lane.

My filter lit and he was still gibbering on spouting bollocks so I drove off.

Moneybags had a 14 plate Vauxhall Zafira, for the record. If we're going to make sweeping judgements, I think that says it all.
  • HillmanImp, Lord Sterling, Angrydicky and 14 others like this

What we need is more poo brown cars.

Lukas, shaking his head

#62850 OFFLINE   DeeJay

DeeJay

• Full Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

I thought you nailed the accent.

• loserone, Rusty_Rocket, Cavcraft and 1 other like this