Passat tdi gerbox grief

Bren

Fatha has an 03 plate 130 tdi PD passat.

On the way into Liverpool gears became difficult to select - so much so he cancelled his trip and got back to Widnes in 4th gear.

I had a quick look - cannot select any gear which makes me think linkage as opposed to box itself.

Anybody wiser than me had any such experience?

Not much help regarding your gear selection problem but I had a 6 speed TDI Passat

from new as a company car and did over 100,000 miles in it on both the original clutch and

gearbox so if was made from cheese it must have been the hard inedible sort.

It was a surprisingly quick car too

Not much help regarding your gear selection problem but I had a 6 speed TDI Passat

from new as a company car and did over 100,000 miles in it on both the original clutch and

gearbox so if was made from cheese it must have been the hard inedible sort.

It was a surprisingly quick car too

I feel I must apologise for being of the VAG persuation. But I don't get where this 6 speed box is made a cheese stuff comes from either, never really heard of any going wrong, 1400/1600 mk4 golfs and sdi's well that's a different story.......

I feel I must apologise for being of the VAG persuation. But I don't get where this 6 speed box is made a cheese stuff comes from, never really heard of any going wrong, 1400/1600 mk4 golfs and sdi's well that's a different story.......

I based that statement on a combination of both plenty of internet reports and also previously looking at Golf Mk5, Audi A4 and Passats. As a 6spd is often better geared in top gear than 5spd'ers, I'd preferred one. However there was a large amount of them with failed and replaced boxes examples for sale.

No smoke without fire and all that.

These are the last of the good VW's and are capable of massive mileages,

Couldn't disagree more, these and the Passats, Golfs and Polos before were bloody awful things. The vans and the Sharans were brilliant, but the rest of that era and a fair bit before was just awful.

They are pretty good cars but like any others have their issues although boxes generally last well so I'd go with the others and say DMF at fault.

On my seat Ibiza cupra the cables ran a bit near the wanky de-cat, melted the bungs a bit and I struggled to get foward gears I.e 1,3,5. 2/4/R were perfick. Changed the exhaust back and moved the heat shield, job done.

DMF/clutch is a weak point on these, without a ramp apparently easier to pull the engine out front ways with the bumper etc removed out of the way as the box is a heavy bugger and the driveshafts give grief.

I'd fix it personally as I think their immense cars but then I'm fixing a 2.2 zafira so don't take my advice* as gospel.

Fatha has informed me there was smoke coming from underneath the car. I assume that it must have been the release bearing melting. He rang the garage that he uses who quoted £700 plus the recovery but then said it's a lot to spend if the box has caused the clutch to fail. I think euthanasia is best.

Fatha has informed me there was smoke coming from underneath the car. I assume that it must have been the release bearing melting. He rang the garage that he uses who quoted £700 plus the recovery but then said it's a lot to spend if the box has caused the clutch to fail. I think euthanasia is best.

Speak to Steve at Aintree Clutch.