Mobile mechanic/friendly shiter Winchester area? Help a young (future) shiter out.

vaughant

Guys and gals I'm not sure if anyone knows a suitable human in the area that could help a young loon out?

It's the boy I bought my Astra donor off and he has another Astra that threw a timing belt on the way back from Poland visiting his Mrs family.

He asked me if I could time the engine up for him to try another belt but I did explain if it's interference and motorway speeds there's little hope of a simple belt repair. I wasn't really equipped after a night shift and only basic tools/no parts plus it's an hour at least from where I am and 4hrs from home.

I think the inevitable will be major engine works/head at least but it maybe something a local meccy could do for monies just to let the lad know where he is with it.

It's a mk5 Astra 04 plate 1.8.

I'll get him to join the forum as he's got a few cars but not much mechanical knowledge and so far the help on here has been great.

He seemed a nice polite kid and I just thought it may help out both parties.

If anyone's interested, post or pm and I can pass details on/direct him here.

It just reminds me of when I was a loon with cars struggling for a bit of knowledge direction, a helpful person could have saved me many £££'s and much wasted* time.

Of course now my car knowledge* is immense and there's not much I DONT* know. I mean it wasn't like I met the lad because I bought a pup in the auctions needing an engine change despite all the warning signs being there.

Good god no.

I'm relatively local but agree with John F, something like that is just going to be a world of pain. I could pop over and help remove the head to check for damage but I've not done a timing belt before, and by the time I've checked for damage it'll need a new HG and coolant at the very least, as well as a new belt, tensioner and whatnot.

What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that I can either confirm its fucked, or make it worse. All for a nominal fee. Please can any interested parties form an orderly queue....

I second the 'buy another one or something similar for a few hundred quid' suggestion. Ideally then scrounge anything worth keeping/selling from the mortal remains of the snapped cambelt one and getting Silverlake to take it away, or tow it to them and they'll give him £60 or so.

As an ex vauxhall tech, I can categorically say that will have bent the valves. Only the old family 1 8v engine is "safe". If anyone wonders, the timing marks on those are 12 and 6 o clock..

When vauxhall decided to up the interval from 40000 to 60000 miles on the x16 and x18 16v engines, I spent a lot of time in the early 00's grinding in valves on engines that had covered 50ish thousand.

In light of the above, I will offer a 30% reduction in my usual consultancy fees for offering the advice to call Silverlake and get them to collect it.

Offer valid for 24 hours from time of printing, Terms and conditions apply. Subject to status. subject to review at any time. Pies (multiple*) are taken as part payment. Your mileage may vary etc etc