The Crying Pumpkin - Dire MOT fail on rust - any takers?

AMC Rebel

Hell! Love how you were finding crispy bits but the priority was getting the RANGE ROVER lettering right, very "Autoshite". I failed an MoT once because sticking the badges back on after a respray was a more enjoyable use of my time than replacing a seized brake valve!

Ahem - I have renewed -

All four springs

Front Shocks

Swivels

Two track rod ends

Radius arm bushes

Fan belt

Steering lock/ignition switch

oh, and got the stereo working and done the lettering 

whilst it rotted away :)

plate-rape I reckon and sell the rest for bits, these are worth a bag and a half at least in parts and scrap.especially with the newish bits on it

welding guestimates are based on my own experience and include a wedge of stripping out, cutting out and putting back together.

to weld a cross member, rear boot floor area and all the other bits around curtains and rear arches I reckon is getting on for 4 days work

to weld repairs to a pair of sills and 4 mounts is going to be another 2 days

to repair bulkhead and mounts on both sides - expect to see extensive welding repairs to bulkhead side and floor about 2 days

to patch up the front inner wings to an MOT standard probably a day, to replace both inner wings maybe 3 days, a lot of stripping out involved

By no means is this outside the scope of an amateur but I would have thought that commercially not viable. what is 9-10 days labour for welding £3-4k +

If it still had air suspension, v8 I would have been very tempted. but would have to admit to too many projects on the go and this would be at least a years wait

hope the bidders dont fuck you about

It could well be put back on the road.  Friends father sold a totally and utterly rotten Disco 200tdi several years ago.. it had no rear arches, no rear floor, no sills and almost no body mounting points to speak of.  I'm sure the body would have just lifted off the chassis without unbolting anything.

Some madman bought it for about £6 and then promptly re-manufactured every panel, cut the rot out and welded it all back together to an astonishingly high standard.  In two weeks.

Stranger things have happened.

...its a very handsome looking old range rover - I love the look of these late ones; n 300tdi would be the preference for me; I promised myself id not buy anymore rusty cars for myself to weld up...

...as said above, it all looks 'doable' - many folk (well more so in UK) spend weeks welding up disco's - the endeavour seems more 'worthwhile' on a RangeRover -to me at least...

...my disco was a month outta test when I got it; seems its was being carefully 'buttered up' with underseal n bitchumen on the sills n inner rear wings/body mount to achieve its previous tests.... so I had to get busy with the zintec n welder to replace all the drivers side sill...

...the exhaust n stuff like that is cheap n easy to rectify - I think a cheap rear section was €38 for my disco; universal so the bore was bigger- easily clamped down...

I spose it depends on what tester you get; the CVRT inspection here, once I keep bringing it back to the same outlet don't seem to concern themselves too much with the inner wings being fizzly - theres a bitta tin under my battery n large tie -wraps effect a battery clamp, which doesn't deem to bother them...

...whoever buys it will be buying at least one big spool of MiG wire for their machine...

• 1 month later...

as an owner of 3 RRc in the past . yup thats pretty much a typical fail sheet..pity it wasn't still on air as theyre getting rare and saught after now...

cure would have been boot floor - box section sills...few strategic plates...and bobs ya brothers sisters nephews dog walker!!

PS my Last discovery fail sheet was 2 pages....needless to say it went over the bridge!!