Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Crying Pumpkin - Death wobble update

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

Have you tried swapping the wheels fronts onto the back?

#92 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,546 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

Oh yes, safely stashed in my parts pile

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin"

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez 

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#93 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,546 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

Have you tried swapping the wheels fronts onto the back?

No - this isn't a constant or speed related wobble, there is a serious "clonk" you can feel through the steering when you hit a particular character of imperfection in our wonderful british cart tracks. For added fun, if travelling a little quicker, the entire front of the car tries to shake itself to pieces until you slow right down - at which point it acts as if nothing happened and will travel hapilly and smoothly at speeds in excess of the one when the death wobble occurred. This makes me suspect swapping the wheels wouldn't help - but maybe I should shut up and try it !

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

#94 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 3,116 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

I seem to recall similar when the radius arm bushes had gone on mine. Can't recall now though if it was the front of the 'hockey stick' around the axle or the rear where it meets the chassis.

Thanked by 1 Member:
AMC Rebel

#95 OFFLINE   anonymous user

anonymous user

• Full Members
  • 3,754 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationAbject Poverty

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:44 PM

I had the death wobble with my 90 a little while ago, after just about everything had been replaced, it was the preload on the swivels (as suggested on here)

Thanked by 1 Member:
AMC Rebel

#96 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,546 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

I seem to recall similar when the radius arm bushes had gone on mine. Can't recall now though if it was the front of the 'hockey stick' around the axle or the rear where it meets the chassis.

I took a look around underneath - pretty much all bushes appear shagged - I have a range of replacements on order.

I had the death wobble with my 90 a little while ago, after just about everything had been replaced, it was the preload on the swivels (as suggested on here)

Hopefully if it is the preload, the geezers that charged me eleventy million pounds for fitting new ones will be mending it soon. 

#97 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

If the L/R place you took it to didn't spot shagged hockey stick bushes I wouldn't be taking it back to them.
Mine clonked when they were knackered too come to think about it but never wobbled
  • AMC Rebel likes this

#98 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,546 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

Well it's gone back for round 2 today.  In the meantime some bastard* has been and repaired my test pothole on the M1, which means I won't be sure if they have cured it or not.

• DSdriver, Rusty_Rocket and Hooli like this

#99 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,546 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

Back from prof. Land Rover.  The bloke who did the work wasn't there so I dunno what they have done yet, but they didn't charge me.  Steering is stiffer with less play in it, but I suspect the wobble may still be there.  My test strip of appalling motorway has been patched up so although I took it for a test I can't be sure yet.  It drives a lot more nicely.  Subject to what they have done (I suspect they tightened the steering box up) I will fit these various bushes that have now arrived.

#100 OFFLINE   Rusty_Rocket

Rusty_Rocket

• Full Members
  • 938 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationKent/ Sussex border

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

Stiffer steering suggests they've tightened the preload on the swivels...

I hope they didn't tighten the steering box too much as a lttle play there does no harm & overtightening it will ruin it in no time.

I had one where someone had removed all the slack from the 'box. Only symptom when driving was that it wouldn't self-centre. Quite alarming actually. The box failed shortly afterwards. I don't think that's what they have done to yours because it makes the car drive awfully!

Hope she's sorted now :)

• AMC Rebel likes this

#101 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,546 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Thanks - it does self-centre, and it drives much better, so fimgers crossed.

#102 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,546 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

Btw what is the mode of failure of the steering box? Slightly worried.🙄

#103 OFFLINE   Rusty_Rocket

Rusty_Rocket

• Full Members
  • 938 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationKent/ Sussex border

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

If the box is tightened to the point that they bind, the steering is dead and doesn't return in use. If you then slacken it off, the steering will 'slip' while turning because of the wear that has been caused internally (ask me how I know about that one!).

It's pretty terrifying when a big heavy LR stops going in the direction it's pointed in!!!

I'm sure this is not the case with yours though, as your steering is returning to centre when you let go of the wheel. 

• AMC Rebel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users