The Crying Pumpkin - Dire MOT fail on rust - any takers?

AMC Rebel

• 1 month later...

The longest hocky stick removal in history continues.  The last bolt is really fighting me.  I was hoping new cutting discs for the angle grinder would help - and they did, up to a point, but I can't get the thing in far enough so the bolt is hanging on.  Contemplating purchase of a £50 9-inch angle grinder to finish the job.

post-20411-0-16211100-1503231131_thumb.jpg

Would you not get better access cutting the nut (or head) off & hammering it through from there?

I can't recall how I did mine, but I recall I didn't want to do it again.

• 1 month later...

Update - I bought polybushes for no reason except they don't need a press to install.

After a monster fight involving various trolley jacks and swearing, the radius arm is refitted.  

Verdict - death wobble better, but not fixed.

It hasn't actually done the death wobble - but came close when I found a suitable pothole and tried to provoke it.

I need to do the other side but it has to go and fail the MOT first.

post-20411-0-22689800-1506328285_thumb.jpg

problem with rubber bushes these days is that the rubber is actually butter.

Means that you end up swapping the bastards out every year, or thereabouts

make sure you copper grease up the bolts before reinstalling them otherwise they will rust to the inner steel tube of the bush and that will be an even bigger arse to get out

Reason(s) for failure

• Front Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases loose (7.1.2)

Offside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings rear panel (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings rear panel (6.1.B.2)

Offside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings floor (6.1.B.2)

Offside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings floor/body mount corroded above coil spring (6.1.B.2)

Offside Front Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded inner wheel arch (5.2.6)

Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)

Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings inner sill (6.1.B.2)

Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings floor (6.1.B.2)

Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings inner wheel arch (6.1.B.2)

Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings front panel (6.1.B.2)

Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings front of inner wheel arch (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings front panel (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings front of inner wheel arch (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings floor (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings inner sill (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings inner sill (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded inner wheel arch (5.2.6)

Nearside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings floor (6.1.B.2)

Offside Brake pipe excessively corroded front of both front to rear (3.6.B.2c)

Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded both pipes (3.6.B.2c)

Exhaust emits an excessive level of metered smoke for a turbo charged engine (7.4.B.3b)

Advisory notice item(s)

• Fuel tank strap corroded

Nearside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded both pipes (3.6.B.2c)

Central Rear Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Anyone fancy saving this?

I can't really attempt it, or justify paying anyone else to.

I paid £1200 and have spent a further few hundred (many new prats fitted as they used to say in Jalopy), but I know it's not a great prospect as it stands so derisory offers will be considered.

Comes with working Dab CD/radio, spare full leather interior, massssssssive history file, handbook I got off eBay.

The good news is it has ticket until 10th October so can be driven I guess - but you'll need to get a wriggle on.

Otherwise I suspect it's destined for the bridge :(

Hell! Love how you were finding crispy bits but the priority was getting the RANGE ROVER lettering right, very "Autoshite". I failed an MoT once because sticking the badges back on after a respray was a more enjoyable use of my time than replacing a seized brake valve!

there seems to be a lot of duplication in that report, were they making a separate note for every single hole?

It is just the body that is rusted or does the chassis need remediation also

Reading inbetween the lines;

rear crossmember,

both sills and probably all 4 sill mounts,

rear wheel arches,

front footwells, bulkhead mounts?

and front inner wings (which are NOT structural)

Plus a couple of brake lines and need for a new air filter and italian tune up

there seems to be a lot of duplication in that report, were they making a separate note for every single hole?

It is just the body that is rusted or does the chassis need remediation also

Reading inbetween the lines;

rear crossmember,

both sills and probably all 4 sill mounts,

rear wheel arches,

front footwells, bulkhead mounts?

and front inner wings (which are NOT structural)

Plus a couple of brake lines and need for a new air filter and italian tune up

Brake lines I can do easy - and I suspect an air leak somewhere in the intercooler pipework is causing the smoke (although an italian tune wouldn't go amiss).

As far as I can see, the Chassis is fine.

But there's no realistic hope of me doing the bodywork.