REGINALD NUTSACKS 1.2-LITRE BEATERS

Mr_Bo11ox

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Kia-Picanto-1-1-LX-/182306662128?hash=item2a7252e6f0:g:smQAAOSwzaJX-KOr

post-20075-0-76591400-1484016423_thumb.jpg

These are just about hitting the £500 bracket now, with a plentiful supply on eBay. The AA were seemingly mightily impressed when they drove one:

Far from being soft and imprecise, there's some seriously sharp steering, admirable stability, a neat little manual gearbox and great manoeuvrability. Only the lackadaisical acceleration spoils things. Anyone who's driven an original Mini, Renault 5 or Citroen Saxo will have some idea of the sort of low-rent thrills the Picanto offers.

The Skoda Favorit is great, if you like asthmatic, rattling horrors with an interior made of the cheapest brown plastic you will ever see. They go well, are comfortable (if noisy and prone to a bit of the old rock'n'roll) and reliable if prone to rust. I had one for five years with no complaints at all. In the unlikely event that you can find one that hasn't been entirely consumed by rot then I say go for it.

There are several posts mentioning 'modern' Pandas, I see... Our Lass has had one for the last eight years, and it has been mega reliable, and super cheap to run. It has even put up with her absolute lack of mechanical empathy for the last 160000 miles of unremitting abuse, which is, frankly, remarkable. Sadly though it is a truly miserable thing to drive; it's noisy and gutless, with dreadful seats and rock hard suspension. The driving position is awful - a normal-sized bloke (me) has his left knee digging into the transmission tunnel and will smash his right elbow on the door when reversing round a corner. There is no boot to speak of, and you can see the square root of fuck all in the door mirrors. And yet even when all that's taken into account, I'd still rather drive one of these than a Metro.

We had a Panda diesel for five years which never missed a beat.  Diesel may be the best one of these, they are quite fun to drive, and super economical.  Agree the seats are shite and the boot invisible but we rated it.  Actually I thought the ride pretty decent, better than a Kia Picanto anyway.

Guest bangerfan101

To add more win to the sad face fiesta.

Mines sat nice on the motorway today doing 70mph.

With 60 bricks in the boot for a fiddlejob

A bit late to this but Les at BL-T has got a 45k 1.1 ex-giffer Rover 100 3dr he's flogging for about £300, I've driven it and it's an absolute corker, I wish I had a use for it!

On another tip, I bought a Vauxhall Agila 1.0 by mistake in 2014, I hated it immediately but then after I found out it was a Cat C it was obviously unsaleable so I just got used to it, now I love it, totally basic, a totally unsophisticated ride but I've had a motorcycle in the back and having done day trips of 700 miles plus I don't feel too bad at the end of it!

Be like me in 1998 and get a Renault 5.

I highly recommend them for chucking around the lanes of Staffs and Derbyshire; the handling can't be too bad as, in several years of doing just that, I only nearly killed myself once.  42mpg guaranteed, even driving everywhere at 78mph.

This one's very salty, but does look mint (and not the dearest on Ebay currently).  

s-l500.jpg

How about one of these stylish* little numbers? Prob go quite well with a 1.3 and no cambelt to play roulette with.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Ignis-1-3-GA-Silver-One-former-owner-93771-miles-History-/182392722339?hash=item2a777413a3:g:ZxUAAOSw6DtYVpQf 

Which of you was second highest bidder at £201?

Send the seller your number in a concise, polite email telling him to let you know if the winner pisses about at all. It has paid off for me in the past.

Edit: I see there's a mobile number in the listing, giving them a bell at a sensible time of day is even better.

+1 for the 1.25 'sad face' fiesta - owned one (briefly) from new which was then replaced with a 'facelifted' 1.4 (it literally did look like a bad facelift).

Trim is naff if that kind of thing bothers you, most are crusty now, but they drive really very well - great fun for zipping around town or twisty country roads. 

A few years back I also helped my cousin buy a sad-face 1.25 zetec as her first car - it was a bit of a high miler but it was mint. She rolled it 3 weeks later - thankfully she walked away with minor cuts and bruises, her passenger was also lucky. The shell held up really well, I wonder how much any rot would have affected it - I have the pics of the wreck somewhere. 

Seems to be pretty common we all like the fezza. I had a 1.25 on a x reg with the funky white dials. Was ace always did 40mpg, and was proper respectable on the motorway. Great little fizzy engine that was a laugh and they handled great.

Would recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried to stop thinking like that, as even if you bidded more, you might have found the other bidder has put in a much higher amount - as you really don't know afterwards. So you wouldn't have won it anyway, but just meant the winner paid more.

Off seeing a 1.25 fiesta Ghia after work tonight

we were all hoping for an epic collection thread preferably from some far flung place like kent or welsh wales bought sight unseen with very blurry photos, not a quick trip on the way home from work :)

anyhow best of luck,