REGINALD NUTSACKS 1.2-LITRE BEATERS

Mr_Bo11ox

From your criteria list, i.e comfortable ride, chuckable round the lanes, narrow, good visibility I wouldn't look past a Peugeot 205.  There's still plenty out there, they don't rust and the 1.1s and 1.4s (especially) are absolutely fantastic fun to drive.  Lovely looking things too, with the added practicality of five doors.  More space inside than a 106.

Guest Breadvan72

The Logo needs WELDAN yo for the MoT, so maybe not so good?  I agree with the people saying go for a 205, if you can find a cheap one with a small engine.  Even that 1.8 diesel one that my wife had for a while a few years back was great fun on country lanes.

I drove my mums 1.3 Endura e example for years, every day and a fair few miles under my own foot, I'd reckon at least 20k. 97 P flight spec so leccy windows, sunroof, decent seats and tape player.

The suspension appears quite soft and can be a bit wallowy and sick making over dips and crests but they corner amazingly well with progressive understeer. Takes a lot to get it to understeer to the point where is goes straight on.

At this level, I don't think it matters 1.25 to 1.3. My mums Fiesta was perfectly nippy.

I had a 106 Mk1 and it was fine for my size 12s. The 205 is a bit wider so feels a bit more roomy inside and is a bit nicer handling. Finding a good one will not be quick.

We all like a bit of casual racism so I'd suggest French for the right balance of ride and handling. How about a LHD Twingo, I think we'd all like to see the collection thread.

M, on 08 Jan 2017 - 3:31 PM, said:

(yes, the pedals are closer together than on the ZX, but I don't find that a problem, you get HEEL TOEING ACTION OUT OF it)

FTFY

True, and if you're really on it, the left-foot-braking helps prevent your right foot catching the throttle pedal unexpectedly... ;-)

I drove my mums 1.3 Endura e example for years, every day and a fair few miles under my own foot, I'd reckon at least 20k. 97 P flight spec so leccy windows, sunroof, decent seats and tape player.

The suspension appears quite soft and can be a bit wallowy and sick making over dips and crests but they corner amazingly well with progressive understeer. Takes a lot to get it to understeer to the point where is goes straight on.

At this level, I don't think it matters 1.25 to 1.3. My mums Fiesta was perfectly nippy.

I've been driving a 1.3 for the past 2 & 1/2 years and can't really fault it. I'd expect the 1.25 to be much nicer to drive as the 1.3 is very weezy. Mine is also a Flight but, on a Y-plate. It's an odd spec having a sunroof & alloys but manual windows and a very basic 2-dial dash (speed & fuel, so no rev. counter or temp gauge). I suppose at least with the 1.3 there's no cambelt roulette to worry about. Mine is very rusty down the off-side and does feel quite tired - it's done just over 130,000 miles.

IMG_3589_zps7ksfm3uu.jpg

Having spend far too much time behind the wheel of various Citroen AX's and had a go in couple of Saxo's I feel qualified to say that the Peugeot 205 is a far superior vehicle in every way. Better ride, roadholding and chuckability just as good, not so claustrophobic, hardier mechanicals and you feel slightly less like any crash would result in death.

That said I wouldn't rule out a Mk1 Clio...

Mk1 Clio is really nice to drive & very comfy. Tiny outside, but could fit tons of stuff in it like the Tardis. Mrs Concern had one (1.4) until Timing belt broke, we both really liked it. Mk2 Clio is also a nice drive, the 1.2 16v almost as nippy as the MK1 1.4. (both daughters had these as first car to learn in and daughter No.2 still has hers after 5 years)

You can get the newer shape Panda's for in around 500 ish quid now although they may need some work.. Lots of space inside,  nice to drive and even the most miserable engine feels pretty lively.  They can't be much more than 900kg in basic form and that includes new fangled features like airbags and crumple zones.

You should of course double your budget and buy a 100HP.

One of the guys  at my work had an Alfa Romeo and it when it was in getting repaired (surprise) they gave him a basic Panda as courtesy car and he said he absolutely loved it. The just seem really well thought out. You can tell the places corners have been cut (no paint under the bonnet or engine bay) but over all they're really good. You don't really hear about them going wrong too much either.

I'd recommend a Puma, I love mine and I doubt they'll ever be any cheaper.  You can get 1.4 and 1.6 versions but the Yamaha-tuned 1.7 is a proper hoot.  Or, if it has to be a little engine, find yourself a Ka, they're fun little rollerskates if you can find one that's not completely rotten.

Failing that, a Rover Metro/100 seems like the ideal addition to your portfolio, plus the 1.1 doesn't seem as prone as the bigger engines to HGF.  

One of the guys at my work had an Alfa Romeo and it when it was in getting repaired (surprise) they gave him a basic Panda as courtesy car and he said he absolutely loved it. The just seem really well thought out. You can tell the places corners have been cut (no paint under the bonnet or engine bay) but over all they're really good. You don't really hear about them going wrong too much either.

*Looks at Kiltox*

I bloody loved my cinq sporting. Chuckable, fairly rot proof, and just a hoot to whizz about in. A knocking bottom end and winking oil pressure light did little to put me off ragging it about and probably looking like a dick. Fun though.post-4673-0-76880300-1483907824_thumb.jpg

And given the choice I would grab the cinq keys more than the GTV's

My mum had a Logo for a few years, it was the CVT which broke the start clutch expensively. The rest of the car was a curious mixture. It wasn't any fun to drive and the interior was narrow and full of hard plastic and painted metal, yet well-equipped.

Early Jazz maybe? Ideally in that silvery-pink they did.

No-one mentioned an AX yet?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Sadly only 1 litre, so outside the +- 10% rule, but I reckon it would make up for it in the drive like a rollerskate stakes.

Needs welding and no MOT, so could be a bargainamundo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291994958919?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Some choice there, Fezzers are ok, always quite liked the X Reg to 02 Reg 'sort of model'.     I don't think anyone has suggested a MGZR yet.  

Right up Bol's street, K Series so he gets to play with Cambelt and possibly OMGHGF.  Can be picked up for 'megga cheap' and they are a real hoot to drive.  OK, the 1.4 is .2 over Bol's 'steer' but what's that to be bothered about. 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/mgzr-low-miles-spares-or-repair/1203046889

My parents are getting rid of their phase 1 Saxo soon - 1.4 5-dr, VSX so leccy windows etc, mint interior, couple of dents on the wings (not their doing) - only fault is a dodgy PAS pump (pi55 easy job). I can get more details if you're remotely interested.

Hey this sounds friggin ace! Any more Intel???