REGINALD NUTSACKS 1.2-LITRE BEATERS

Mr_Bo11ox

The first car I ever drove was my mum's 1997 Ford Fiesta 1.25 Ghia. With the fake wood, air conditioning and alloy wheels, it must have really left an impression as those are things which tend to make we want a car. It handled well and made a nice sound, but it just didn't feel very substantial (then again, it probably feels like a tank compared to the other two choices.)

As a bit of an unusual alternative, how about a CityRover? Sure, they are a 1.4, and they feel cheap and nasty, and they are a bit modern for Autoshite, but they are cheap and tend to be owned by the same type of people who own Metros/100s.

I vote Rover Metro/100. The driving position is good if you're of average height, and even the 1.1 bombs along quick enough and they handle well. As the Hydragas cans are linked front to rear rather than side to side like A-series Metros they can have a dragster look (although the one above looks nice and level). Probably a bit pricier nowadays than the equivalent Fiesta as values have gone up.

This one looks mega, even if it does bust the budget. An early one sans the naff grille would be my choice!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rover-metro-S-/262788892792?hash=item3d2f704878:g:SDUAAOSwZQRYajbG

post-5013-0-30719600-1483890459_thumb.jpeg

post-5013-0-39098900-1483890479_thumb.jpeg

19,000 miler, might not go beyond the opening £550 seeing as most people are skint this time of year.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-Metro-Nightfire-1-1L-Petrol-/332085982653?hash=item4d51ddf5bd:g:SkYAAOSw241Yckl-

post-5013-0-57946000-1483890829_thumb.jpeg

Puglets are pretty nifty and a giggle to drive.  They do have tiny pedals but they aren't as bad as the AX.  I rate Puglets highly in the fun stakes, first car I experienced lift-off-oversteer in but comes back into shape fairly rapidly and is a predictable steer generally.

K series Metro/100 offers one of the best small car and engine combos out there really.  I found the offset seating position too uncomfortable which was disappointing as they otherwise tick all the boxes.

Nugget the Corsa is still up for grabs (Mr B discount would apply).  If you're brave you can chuck it about, if you're too brave it'll understeer you into a hedge.  It's not as fun as the Metro/100 or Puglet but is a capable steer and very well suited to B roads and un-named country lanes.  Needs no welding action and has a decent chunk of MoT still on it.  Full story: http://autoshite.com/topic/19064-nugget-the-corsa-1711-winter-prep/page-1  Sale ad: http://autoshite.com/topic/26647-nugget-the-corsa-b-that-could-£500/  Mike's bought the replacement car so Nugget is very much surplus to requirements.  Last two MoTs had no advisories.

That 26k 1.1S Metro looks lovely and brings back many memories for me as a five-door model was the car my mum had, and hence I learned in then commandeered as much as I could when I passed my test. As it's 20 years since I last drove one I've no doubt got the rose tints on, but the engine was a peach and they just handled and rode so well (although the rubber tray on the dashboard sliding around during hard cornering was a pain in the arse). I found the driving position ok as well, Rover 800 front seats I think?

I'm going to suggest the bubble Micra in 1.3 or 1.4 form. I was given my great-uncle's to sell last summer, it was a W-reg 1.3 CVT and despite having no specification whatsoever (except PAS) and the gear lever from an artic it was belting fun (see what I did there?). Drove really well around the local B roads, was comfortable and would pretty much out drag anything up to 40mph, which might be a CVT foible. Crispy crossmembers are the key thing to look out for. They seem much more solid than a 106, although I really enjoyed a 1.1 example when I had it for a week about 15 years ago. I couldn't believe how spritely it was.

I've had a lot of the small cars that've been mentioned on here.

1. 106 - I had a '97 P-plate 1.1 pea-green little thing. Absolutely hilarious to drive and I kid you not by saying it was one of the cleanest ones I've ever seen. Engine was worn though. I used to enjoy sitting in a line of traffic, letting the cars in front move off then boot it to catch up with them - because you were always guaranteed to see a huge plume of blue smoke come from the rear. Sold it to some stoner type in Ipswich and was promptly scrapped not long after, despite him offering it on bumtree with no test for £250.....GR9 on fuel and they sound good when they're being wound up.

2. Mk4/5 Fiesta. I've had three of these, one 1.25 that I inherited from S.I.L and two Mk5 Zetec-S'. The 1.25 was a very very good little car, except it was one of the first Mk4 LX's which didn't have PAS or leccy windows. Went very well and was good on fuel. The sills and arches had been patched up many times and it never idled properly the whole time I had it.

I've also had a 1.0 and 1.2 Corsa, both very easy to drive. I wouldn't have another 1.0 though as I bought a 70k one and it was utterly kippered. It did about 27 to the gallon because I don't think it had ever been past 40mph in it's life.

The Skoda Favorits were alright, I borrowed a 1.3i GLXiE estate as a loan car a while back and I liked it, although I did kinda break the CV joints by taking a corner too quick...

Another vote for the Daewoo / Chev Matiz, just for the LOL factor. I borrowed a 0.8 one once. The funniest thing on four wheels IMHO. Grin factor was immense because it was so comical.

Personally I'd go for a K11 Micra, the 1.0's have some ballz in them, and they are BRILLIANT to drive and equally as good on fuel. BUY ONE.

Never driven a Metro although I'd absolutely love an 80's one just for the 1st/2nd gear whine.

out of all of the possible models suggested.i would go with the Festa,

a quick look on fleabay revealed this which is a 1300 kent, and proper grim

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-ford-fiesta/272505637919?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D381c9a70b63648aea234e22449ee31ca%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D252657940790

s-l1600.jpg

and this less grim one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-FORD-FIESTA-1-25-ZETEC-5DR-RED/252657940790?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D381c9a70b63648aea234e22449ee31ca%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D252657940790

s-l1600.jpg

both bust the budget, but both seem to have rear wheel arches which are still made of metal.

the rover 100/metro apart from the ever present kettle series head gasket issues (not a problem for Boll o know) but they were rotters even when new, now at 20+ plus years old, then there could well be little or no metal left in a metrop.

the fiesta likes to rust too, almost as enthusiastically, but in this case IMHO the ford would trump the Rover.

plus the red one above has now gone on my watchlist cos i am that taken by it!

Skoda Favourits are horrible. Went as a passenger from Hull to Leicester and back in a day which put me on Prozac.

Someone posted a pic of a Cinq Sporting.  Ex Mrs P had one in the day and a v entertaining thing it was too. Not fast but felt it, which is perhaps just as good.  And the 1104 engine can be hoyed oot and replaced with a 1200 Punto engine for added zest if you can be arsed ...

I had a 1.25 Fiesta courtesy car for a couple of weeks when they first came out, it was ace, the engine just felt like it wanted to just wanted to give a bit more all the time.

I spent everyday for about 18 months in a Rover 111, hated that car and it was not a patch on the 1.2 Corsa that went before!

Guest Breadvan72

Talbot Horizon, bit over budget, possibly slow as fook.  But NB Beige, povvo spec existential grimness, and car has been fiddled with by HGF Motors  for maximum winnage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/222366533608?clk_rvr_id=1150619830784&vectorid=229508&lgeo=1&item=222366533608&rmvSB=true

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Another for a Puma. They're surely as cheap now as they'll ever be, and are massive fun. Yes, they can get crispy, but seeing as you're the MIG KING OF AS this shouldn't be a massive issue long term.

and another - that one I had rode (and handled) better than the Mondeo I replaced it with.  You can get a 1.4 version if you don't want the quicker one.  It's basically a smiley face Fezza anyway.

Note: Personal preferences are bound to skew my advice.

Peugeot 205.  Have had lots, mainly diesels, but also a 1.6 auto (current) and a 1.1 in AS beige.  All were/are much liked by me (67 therefore a giffer) and my son (37 and just beginning to calm down).  Generally little or no rust.  Good, predictable, entertaining handling and comfortable.  Avoid any with wobbly rear suspension arm bearings. Front suspension arms and driveshafts are easy and still reasonably available and cheap to replace.

Peugeot 106: No direct experience of the 106 except that most of the ones I've been near have made a horrible racket from the gearbox/transmission when reversing.

Fiesta: My experience stopped at the MK1.  Utterly dismal.  Sound and feel like a motorised biscuit tin and rust quicker than an Alfasud by the sea. Later MKs may be better but I could not be tempted to find out.

Punto: Boring and err boring. I have driven one of the later ones for about 100 miles. Boring. I'm not anti Fiat - have a Tipo and I like the early Stilo (but they are surely too big to meet the reqm't.)

Corsa: I want to hate these but hired one in the Canaries. It was a MK1 or 2 wreck but I liked it.

Metro/100: Have had brand new ones on lease.  Diabolically uncomfortable.  Bear in mind that I'm arthritic.

Narrowness is a hoot.  You should therefore get a Matiz.

As most people are saying, the fiesta is a good choice, provided you get a nice solid one. My parents had an R reg ghia years ago, and though it wasn't spectacular, it was a much nicer place to be than the silver mk3 it replaced, and the pov spec mk6 they've got now. Can't remember them having too many issues with it until it was well past 100k, either.

Though I've also got a soft spot for Metros/100s, so I'd look at those too, especially whist they're still very cheap.

and another - that one I had rode (and handled) better than the Mondeo I replaced it with.  You can get a 1.4 version if you don't want the quicker one.  It's basically a smiley face Fezza anyway.

And a 1.6. Not this is useful to Bolz.

Another vote for a 205 here, but I'm obviously biased being a serial 205 botherer. The 954cc engine ones are a bit too slow, but the 1124 goes ok, 1360 is good fun (XS even more so, but pricey). 1.1s sometimes came with 4-speed boxes too for optimum engine noise/annoyance on the motorway. All great to drive in stock form.

I also had a phase 1 106 1.4, this was less fun than the 205, but still went well, chuckable and nippy.

Having spend far too much time behind the wheel of various Citroen AX's and had a go in couple of Saxo's I feel qualified to say that the Peugeot 205 is a far superior vehicle in every way. Better ride, roadholding and chuckability just as good, not so claustrophobic, hardier mechanicals and you feel slightly less like any crash would result in death.

That said I wouldn't rule out a Mk1 Clio...