REGINALD NUTSACKS 1.2-LITRE BEATERS

Mr_Bo11ox

Alright gang,

I'm thinking of making a change from driving the Goona for a while, good car though it is the mediocre ride quality and road-filling size on the lanes where I now live somehow seem sub-optimal and a small revvy backroad basher sound very appealing. I want sparky performance on the back lanes, good visibility and decent ride quality. I'm not after owt mega fast so am looking at 1.2-litre beaters (+/- 15% on that engine size). Thinking of spending maybe 350-500 quid - big bucks by my standards!!! Heres whats on my shortlist - DISCUSS

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiesta-1-25-LX-1997-78845-miles-/142230470810

1) Sad-face fiesta. I understand these are a real hoot to drive, specially in 1.25 zetec flavour, any experiences? I imagint theyre all quite crispy now so might be worth getting one with a bit of ticket on it so I am not obliged to do a mega weldfest before I can drive it, but I acknowledge I will almost certainly need to bust out the MIG at some point. I had a bid on the above one which looks really smart and has low mileage but had no MOT, it went for £170 in the end. I am not a fan of the 02-on later shape Fiesta so hope these are a sufficiently different proposition.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162345865275

2) Rover Metro/100. Obviously these are shite but I have never actually done any serious driving in one and they must weigh rag all, i imagine they must be pretty sparky with a multipoint-injected K in em even if its the 1.1 SOHC version. They've all got 30,000 miles on due to being owned by giffers and the interiors look great to me. Also like the narrowness of them. Am I right in thinking that the driving position is significantly modified from A-series Metros? The above one is up for 500 quid and looks super tidy with 21,000 on. WOULD. I imagine they all need their front Hydragas units regassed as they all seem to be on the bumpstops at the front.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152382979414

3) Peugeot 106. I'd like a 1360-cc one of these but they seem to be as rare as a bastard, so an 1124 would be OK instead. I imagine thse will probably win out on light weight and ride quality and they early ones are a real looker. The above one only has 20-odd thousand on so the rear beam might even still be serviceable.... Its in the list. With one of these I am accepting that it will probably need a rear beam if I want the suspension to work properly.

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-SKODA-FAVORIT-1-3-LXIE-5D-67-BHP-/381575718060

4) Joker card - Skoda Favorit, OK i know these are a 1.4 or something right? But I quite like the slim-pillared look of them and I imagine they are quite endearing to drive due to being a bit rough around the edges and needing a head gasket (costing £4) once a month. The above one has only 5000 on the clock and is being 'sold' by a photoshop-happy 'dealer' for £2500, its been for sale for about 3 years. These are a lot thinner on the ground than all the others but I'm not in a mega gasping hurry and dont mind some fettling so i'm sure one will come along eventually. I know the Felicia is just one of these thats been done over by Ferdinand Piech but they are just not quite as appealing (although if a Skoda-powered one turned up locally and cheap I might be tempted).

I just don't fancy a Polo at all, Rover 25 seems too big, not feeling a Corsa (maybe a Combo van though) or a Punto..... I dunno. Anyone have any good leads on examples of the above for sale?

Fiesta by a long way out of all of them.  x plate 1.25 Zetec remains the only car I've ever been done for speeding in. Plenty quick and entertaining to drive. Decent spec one is a pretty nice thing.

Otherwise, Clio? 1.4 16v can be hussled along nicely and they are buttons cheap at the moment. Had a 1.4 Si on a X plate for a few years and that was a cracking car.

1) Sad-face fiesta. I understand these are a real hoot to drive, specially in 1.25 zetec flavour, any experiences? I imagint theyre all quite crispy now so might be worth getting one with a bit of ticket on it so I am not obliged to do a mega weldfest before I can drive it, but I acknowledge I will almost certainly need to bust out the MIG at some point. I had a bid on the above one which looks really smart and has low mileage but had no MOT, it went for £170 in the end. I am not a fan of the 02-on later shape Fiesta so hope these are a sufficiently different proposition.

These used to be a popular first car when I learnt to drive back in 2003. A mate had one in 1.25 flavour and they're really lovely and revvy for what they are. They do love a good spanking and feel much faster than they are supposedly are. Pretty certain we broke the sound barrier a couple of times in it when overtaking.

However even back in 2003 most were shagged, so I dread to think what most are like now. Don't bother with the 1.4. Looses the revving of the 1.25, fuel economy of the 1.6 but without the performance. You might find the 1.6 to be less shagged as less likely to be a first car due to insurance.

What about the Puma? Based on the Fiesta but with better suspension setup and stronger engines. Being based on the Fiesta, grot is a problem. They're still at a bargain price and yet to hit the Ford scene tax which they invariably will.

I had a one point two five Zetec Fiesta for a month or two.

post-5435-0-22474700-1483886964_thumb.jpg

Theyre good. Quick enough but a bit grim. I cant say theres anything reccomendable about them but I have no real critisisms of them either.

They seem utterly worthless, which is a plus. This on was low miles and about £200 iirc.

Why u no rike my micra...everything u could ever ask for....50 quid over budget but am sure theres a deal in there...and 2006..new car innit

If Bollok doesn't like the 02 onwards shape Fiesta, I can't see him getting salacious with a modern wobbly shape Micra. 

As for suggested cars, 'ows about getting your independence back? Onley wun onwer frum knew. Looks pretty clean to be fair. 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/106-peugeot-independence/1208367635

$_86.JPG

All 1360cc phase 2 Pug 106s appear to be automatic, so unless you can find a phase 1, 1124cc and 1580cc petrol models are your choices unless you go for the diesel. I find them very comfy for what they are, plenty of room for my size 10 feet even in hillwalking boots (yes, the pedals are closer together than on the ZX, but I don't find that a problem, you get used to it) and they're pretty chuckable. Phase 1 1124 cars have 3-stud brakes which can be a bit pants and oddly enough, Halfords pads work best. They also came from the factory on 145/70r13 tyres...

Rover Metros have an excellent ride and are a decent steer too. Low front suspension may be lack of nitrogen but sometimes it can be helped with a bit of a pump-up without ruining the ride - the back comes up a bit too because FRIC but not by as much as the front due to the helper springs on the rear.

The Seicento Sporting that I drove last year at chez-Krujoe would be a bit of fun, but for country lanes and shonky road surfaces, potholes, and general bumps etc. I'd go for either a 106 or a Metro.

My mum had a 1360 manual pug.  I learnt to drive in it and it was fantastic on the country lanes.  As mentioned previously the pedals are quite close together so if you have big/wide feet you'll hate it.  I ended up with a mk2 punto with the 1.2 60hp engine and it was a lot slower.  It was more roomy inside and still good fun once up to speed though.