Cavcraft 2017: Another day, ANOTHER Rover!

Cavcraft

A colleague has a 1.6 one that has an undiagnosable cutting out issue, he's spent about £600 trying to fix it , I've told him to bin it but he's now calling out a mobile ecu guy , I bet I end up with it for £50 when he comes to his senses

This morning I remembered about a car I'd seen for sale a few months ago, so just whanged up to view it. It's one of those 'rubber band' Volvo 340 things, with a gen 26,000 miles. I'm umming and arring at the minute because it's got its problems (no MOT, needs front valance replacing or welding, brake pipes need doing) and not tested for a while having failed on those things. On top of that, rusty rear arch, one door strip hanging off, on three original tyres I think and probably other minor things. Low ownership, low mileage and the vendor lives in one of the nicest rural areas of Cheshire I've ever seen.

*Edit: he put a charged battery on it, it started straight up and sounded fab, with no noticeable smoke or knocking noises from the engine.

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3158.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

On the way home LOLZ

IMG_3164.JPG

My old man had one of these rubber-band 340's when I was youth, '89 on an F I think. He bought it to replace his C-plate 1600 Maestro which had the usual oil/ground interface issues. 

He ended up selling the Volvo and keeping the Maestro for about four more years. Take what you will from that, he currently "enjoys" a 110 Defender which he uses for trans-European motorway jaunts ergo he's probably not quite right. That said, prior to that he had an early 360 2.0 manual which he loved.

April 2015:

Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)

• Front registration plate deteriorated (6.3.1d)
  • Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)

They've chalked off the o/s/f valance, are they structural on these?

Unless the Volvo is a very early one (H reg, so it's not) or ridiculously cheap (if it was you'd have already bought it) then I'd say it's not worth your time mate.

I don't think any of the 340 varios did real mileage, the last 4-5 I've seen have under 40k miles. 

It'd probably be worth a punt for a Volvo/Daf botherer, but there's not a huge following.

I thank you. Pondering whether the valance would fibreglass and fill up in one corner, brake p[ipes possibly not going to respond to a wire wool and grease job. He wants £350 for it, to me it ain't worth that, to be frank. It's not going to go dirt cheap (can't blame him for that, either) but it's need to be attractive enough to be worthwhile. So not £350.

No, not at £350.

£200 at a push  would be about right given the non-mot and bits that need doing.

Errrm, how many doors? Front wings ok?

Five doors, wings seem ok. Thanks for the price suggestion, reckon you're right with that.

volvo2a.jpg