Cavcraft 2017: Another day, ANOTHER Rover!

Cavcraft

I suppose today would be a good day.

1) Take daughter to work.

2) Vectra to ZT .

3) Get in clutch-less MG, start in second. Pull out of pub car park, stop. Start in third, drive home with nothing but a song in my heart and a lump in my undies. Beat traffic lights one and two, fanny about at traffic lights three. Get 50 yards from home, nearly crash into newspaper delivery van.

4) Ride cycle to Vectra (6.5 miles)

18622686_1690019177960698_70424256461561

5) SQUAD GOALS

18670975_1690019281294021_27550907599403

07.15: Mission complete, bask in reflected glory.

is it wrong that I enjoy driving clutch-less cars? And I don't mean Trio-matic Acclaims or SMG M cars , although I bet the Triumph would be smoother than the M5 I once lurched to Ascot and back.

No I mean the challenge of timing ,anticipation and rev matching that is involved in getting a car with a fucked clutch home, I once drove a W123 230TE 200 miles with no clutch, although it was late at night ,with much of it across uninhabited wastelands ( Wales).

Probs wouldn't bother for a ZT though, unless it's got a lot of petrol in it.

There's been a few occasions when I've found myself without a clutch halfway through a journey.  The most recent was the MX5, although that had such a delightfully precise and snickety gearbox that the lack of clutch really wasn't an issue for changing gear, and only became a PITA in roadworks.  The Alfasud was a bit more awkward and required careful rev-matching to avoid nasty graunching noises.

Guest Hooli

I drove my discovery back to Sussex from Wales after the clutch fork failed, I'm still impressed I managed 137miles without changing out of 5th on motorways etc.

Tbh, I didn't really try changing gear on the move. Someone yonks back said to put it into neutral, rev the engine and when the drevs are dropping lob it into the next gear.

It's a shame the clutch slave has jumped ship, it really is a lovely old thing to drive. Felt quite at home in it to be honest.

Chaps! Sorry about being late to the party. I was meant to do a collection thread for the Alfa but I've been a bit preoccupied. So I thought I'd at least make some effort here if it's Ok with Cavcraft.

It started sometime last week, idly checking Autoshite I got a note from Cavcraft asking about vehicle movement. As the days went by, some to-ing and fro-ing of PMs went between myself, PurpleBargeKen and myself and some sort of agreement was made.

Initially I was thinking of bringing the Alfa northwards next weekend but as it turned out I ended up London-bound for much of Wednesday and Thursday. I asked work to direct me to North London for my final job of the week as I'd had a ride home awaiting. As always, they couldn't promise but turned up a last minute job for me dumping me somewhere within about 20 miles of Chez_PBK. Funds, as always, were at an all time low but I had probably just enough to get to Chez_PBK with one or two quid to spare.

However, it turned out even better for me as where my last vehicle drop off was, was the same area where PBK worked, so it was a matter for me of hanging about in the local Mosque until the legend, only known as PurpleBargeKen and sometimes, just Ken, came to pick me up.

Ken suggested an excellent Turkish restaurant where we spoke about Shite, my fondness of accents and where we eat and drank Middle Eastern style food and tea;

post-3572-0-75322600-1496024080_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-95449900-1496024128_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ken! :D

Later on we got to my ride home, the Alfa 156 2.4 JTD manual. I'd never driven an Alfa of this era before (well, not that I can recall anyway) so it would be a first for me. Eventually all was sorted out and I'd rolled the Alfa back out onto the mean streets of London and pointed it northwards in the general direction of Worcestershire.

Before that, I thought I'd stick it towards the Petrol station for some jungle juice;

post-3572-0-08894000-1496024610_thumb.jpg

I headed for home, I was tired, a bit dishevelled and smelly. I'd spent 2 nights on the trot away from home because; work and thier wonderful route planning.

Driving the Alfa was an excellent experience, the sound and power were utterly amazing, it didn't hold back on acceleration. It sounded gorgeous with that 5-pot rumble. Before I knew it I was hitting the top of the M42 and rolling my way into the country roads. I kind of wished this was a collection thread for a car I bought, but alas it wasn't...

Got home just before midnight and didn't have to wake until late anyway so it was a nice and fairly easy day for me.

Because the Alfa had been living in a North London street near to a tree, some green was started to build on the paintwork, Cavcraft told me he liked his cars a bit grubby, but I can never deliver a vehicle in such a state so a couple of quid chucked at the local car washing outfit saw most of the mould disappear down the drain. A good dust out of the universal (ugh! :shock:) mats saw the interior looking a bit more presentable.

post-3572-0-94422500-1496025075_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-30647300-1496025141_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-06317100-1496025196_thumb.jpg

After my normal Friday Mosque visit and a clean of the Alfa, it was time to head Chester-bound and deliver it another Shiter I'd not met and before I knew it, here I was standing in THAT familar yard;

post-3572-0-58735600-1496025624_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-78573600-1496025691_thumb.jpg

Yes folks, some people get excited of having visited the Taj Mahal, some have visited the Big Apple, but I, have actually visited and been to - The Service yard behind Cavcraft's house, aka: The Green garages in Chester. Yep, I've been there! I aim to get a T-shirt printed stating this.

And there, I met, the one and the only legend himself - Cavcraft and these two;

Dave Lee Travis dog/Barbra Cartland dog/The Cloud etc... who slept on my left foot;

post-3572-0-13461600-1496026399_thumb.jpg

And CavCat #1 who was giving me 'cat' looks all the time I was there;

post-3572-0-19154800-1496026446_thumb.jpg

So yep, it was a good day in all in all.

Ken - Legend chap, we must meet again soon. Cav - Big legend chap. I have finally met some of the big Autoshite players, I should have got your autographs. You are both welcome to mine up/down here in North Worcestershire, it really is a beautiful place to visit. Plus you can see some rusting old Rovers looking past thier best, and probably even an old Passat.

Cheers chaps!

End of the road for the Rover*?

Yep, going to try and fit the Vectra spare alloys with a couple of bolts, keep the MG wheels and call the yard in. Sir David of Chaseracershire has just popped over and noticed it's got xenon headlights, so might whizz the bulbs out, but probably apply the usual CBA position.

You need one of those sealey auction pump things. I've got a 7L one and it's brill for draining tanks. Hardly any spillages too.

What do they look like, please? I've got an electric one (connects to car battery) but it suggests not to use on flammable liquids, which makes sense to me.

What do they look like, please? I've got an electric one (connects to car battery) but it suggests not to use on flammable liquids, which makes sense to me.

Looks like this, google Sealey vacuum pump. I got mine for £40 from Amazon but it's honestly worth every penny. These aren't supposed to be used on petrol either, but I do regularly with no ill effects.

post-388-0-77374700-1496090439_thumb.jpg