Cavcraft 2017: Another day, ANOTHER Rover!

Cavcraft

My dad plays tennis with one of the directors of the zoo.

When I was born we lived Upton and apparently I was taken for walks along the footpath through the zoo.

Edit

Obv. None of this is relevant to why a tiger has replaced Barbara Cartland.

It's on eBay for £750 now, or was recently. Very nice lady/family, I just don't see them getting anywhere near to that, sadly.

Richard: there is still a public track that goes through the middle of the zoo, it leads down a hill and comes out by the Shropshire Union. Sadly, you don't really get to see much of the inhabitants though.

In the olden days we used to bunk in down the side of one the enclosures and I got a decent leg off some sort of horse on steroids type animal circa 1978. Only just vaulted the fence before it caught me, then did the normal of sitting under one of the bridges and doing our homework before walking across the fields to school. My mate even had a trick to get us into the aquarium for nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

So, holiday in a Skoda. Vectra wasn't (and still isn't) MOT'd, so we took the ex-320_Touring Labia instead:

IMG_2277.JPG
IMG_2716.JPG

Total done
IMG_2725.JPG

That was loaded up inc. towbar mounted bike carrier and bike, and I wasn't hanging about. Very impressed with the economy.
The car didn't skip a beat, though when we stopped on the way home for half an hour, upon pulling off it felt like it was going to conk out, though my daughter reckons I'd tried to pull off in 3rd, and the car was fine after that.
Seems to splutter a tiny bit when v.low on fuel, suspect it's just the fuel filter. Enough power to get by, and unloaded of holiday gear and just me in it, I saw a Mk3 Mondeo diesel off from the lights in some style last night.
Fairly comfortable, bit of arse ache after a few hours in the saddle, but as much as it pains me to say it about something VAG, it's not actually too bad to whang about in. Interior is just above dull, and the car doesn't really excite (as you'd probably expect) but as second choice and emergency replacement, it could have been a lot worse.
The Vectra would have suited better (bigger, more comfortable and has cruise control) but you can't have everything.

Verdict: 7/10, still in daily use.

IMG_2726.JPG

It wasn't half chucking some black smoke out, but I had the edge on him after ten yards or so and the gap was getting bigger. All a bit silly, really, but you have to do it now and then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been eyeing one of these up for a while now, this one turned up today locally. Right colour, decent spec, though sadly not the CDTi 150. It's a 1.6 pez.

astrac.jpg

astrab.jpg

astrae.jpg

astraa.jpg

Obvs. like it was cheap, and needs an ABS reluctor ring/speed sensor thing, and some front pads that actually contain pad material. Being a sad bastard, I think these are a right looker of a car, exactly 827.6 times nicer than the 5 door ones, as it 'appens.

I think these are a right looker of a car, exactly 827.6 times nicer than the 5 door ones, as it 'appens.

Exactly 827.6 times harder to reverse park, too.  The 5-door may not look as nice but it has side windows at the back rather than arrow slits.

These are a surprisingly decent steer though.  Mine has been growing on me (not managed to sell it yet).