Cavcraft 2017: Another day, ANOTHER Rover!

Cavcraft

I want to say these should break for good money, but I reckon they sold more half-arsed GTIs than any other Mk4 variant. They've fallen out of the bottom of wannabe rudeboy territory too, they're all in 330is having run their GTIs into the ground on cheap tyres and no servicing.

Id say they probably used to be a few years ago, but now I never see any in breakers at all really and I hardly ever see any on the roads either, meaning theyve all been scrapped and crushed years ago? making any that are left worthless as breakers? 

yeah my mate bought some GTi bumpers for his TDI one off a lad who was breaking his car cos he got banned for drug driving.

Both bumpers, both front wings and the tailgate cost him £40, parts arent really worth owt bar engine and box, but the 2.0 GTi stuff isn't really good for owt.

You know all that stuff we were spouting about how SRi is just a trim level now?

VW pioneered this with the GTI.

At least with the Mk3 they got the arch trims and alloys, and looked a bit sportier. On the Mk4 they were absolutely identical to all the others.

The 2.0 was the same as the Mk3, they did get the non-turbo 1.8 that was quicker too just to confuse people. Tool Eater was over ten seconds to 60, GTI my arse. Slower than a Vectra 1.8LS.

An ex of mine had a 2.0 GTi that we bought from Croydahhn in Lahhndaaahn a few years back. It was the most slowest piece of shit I'd ever driven. If there was a car to not deserve a sporting trim status then this was it. It didn't help that it had been mercilessly ragged to the hilt every single day of it's life before we purchased it which resulted in a comedy plume of blue/black smoke every time it was revved. Anyhoo it got sold and the last I heard of it, it was living in Saarfend. Now dead, thankfully.

Wasn’t that the same 2.0 16v as the Passat et all and only had about 115bhp?

Precisely that one. 115bhp, weighs as much as the frigging moon and it's called a GTI.

Aye, nice one VW. At least they also offered it with the 1.8T with 150bhp, so it could (sort of) get out of its own way.

At around this time the GTI was about 25/30% of all UK Golf sales, mainly company cars. I think VW realised they’d dropped the ball with this era and made the Mk5 more sporty*.

Around Cheltenham the latest rudeboy car of choice, now all the Leons and E46 coupes have been crashed or seized by the Feds/DVLA, is the second gen A3. Black ones in particular are always worth keeping as far away from as possible in traffic. Mk4 Golfs have died out apart from the odd giffer one, usually in an odd colour like green.

You know all that stuff we were spouting about how SRi is just a trim level now?

VW pioneered this with the GTI.

At least with the Mk3 they got the arch trims and alloys, and looked a bit sportier. On the Mk4 they were absolutely identical to all the others.

The 2.0 was the same as the Mk3, they did get the non-turbo 1.8 that was quicker too just to confuse people. Tool Eater was over ten seconds to 60, GTI my arse. Slower than a Vectra 1.8LS.

They kinda sorted it to an extent with the mk5 though which was quick enough compared to the others and different enough to stand out, and then the mk6. 

It was how much money they went for which absolutely astonished me, i remember looking for my 2nd car in August 2006 to replace my mk3 Astra id had since passing my test in the January, clocked a nice flash red mk4 1.8 20v GTi 5 door (not the 20VT just the n/a one) on the forecourt of the local Arnie Shark VW franchise, 66,000 miles, March 1999 on a T plate, £6688, couldnt believe that for a 7.5 year old Golf. (same dealer had a 95 N plate mk3 2.0 GTi 3 door in red for £3288 aswell, an 11 year old car!)

Then a guy I knew from modified car circles who got me a job working for the Shark had a N reg mk3 Cavalier properly tarted up with hoop spoilers, wide arch bodykit, stupid loud exhaust, 2.0 redtop conversion with 240,000 miles on it, it was falling apart so he went out and bought a 2000 W 2.0 8v GTi 3 door in doom blue, paid £5000 for it with 70,000 miles. round about the same kinda time as I was looking.

He then proceeded to trade it in in late 2008 for a 2000 X reg 1.8 20VT GTi 3 door in silver, with 247bhp rolling road print out, anniversary bodykit and Audi replica wheels that someone had traded in to the Shark for an 05 plate mk5 GTi 3 door in red, that cost him 6grand, for a now 8year old mk4 Golf. 

Madness how just that GTi badge can command such a sum of money, when there was this guys brother in law got a 02 plate 1.9 GT TDi 3 door in silver, better spec, quicker, more reliable, better condition in 2009 for £4k, ok still mental money for a 7year old Golf but a heck of a lot cheaper than a GTi and otherwise aside from the engine was identical because as you say those GTis were the same as the cooking models. 

Wasn’t that the same 2.0 16v as the Passat et all and only had about 115bhp?

Wasnt even a 16v, just an 8v. 

When Amy wanted a golf a year or so back I was looking at Sheddy 52 plate 100k+ 1.6 pez ones at £1400, when the equivilant everything else with less miles/better condition was £7/800. Derv ones were even more silly. Put me right off them, who wants a car that has a stupid perceived value, when in reality their shit?

When Amy wanted a golf a year or so back I was looking at Sheddy 52 plate 100k+ 1.6 pez ones at £1400, when the equivilant everything else with less miles/better condition was £7/800. Derv ones were even more silly. Put me right off them, who wants a car that has a stupid perceived value, when in reality their shit?

Correct! £1400 would buy a 2008 Astra 1.6 in Design/Elite trim, much newer, much better car than a mk4 Golf, and in terms of generations is a gen newer too with it coming out at the same time as the mk5 Golf. 

Just shows people still fall for the old VW badge = quality german engineering and reliability, my old man learned the hard way with this Jetta he gave me aswell, he was very much the 'VWs are better than your Fords and Vauxhalls, thats why they cost more and hold money better' tried explaining it was him and people like him thinking that way which kept their values up, not their quality or reliability. They know how to make an interior thats durable and doesnt fall apart/rattle/squeak but thats about it, mechanicals are poor and the bloody things rust worse than 70s/80s Lancias. 

When GTI owners get their arses handed to them away from the lights they say "Well I bought it for the quality - not the performance."

My mate swapped a two year old 02 plate 156 for a W reg tdi 90. Damaged shaft in the gearbox, leaking windscreen that gave you trench foot - it was utter turd.

A girl I used to know had an 05 plate GTi turbo -27 mpg on the motorway was the most it would do.

Correct! £1400 would buy a 2008 Astra 1.6 in Design/Elite trim, much newer, much better car than a mk4 Golf, and in terms of generations is a gen newer too with it coming out at the same time as the mk5 Golf.

Just shows people still fall for the old VW badge = quality german engineering and reliability, my old man learned the hard way with this Jetta he gave me aswell, he was very much the 'VWs are better than your Fords and Vauxhalls, thats why they cost more and hold money better' tried explaining it was him and people like him thinking that way which kept their values up, not their quality or reliability. They know how to make an interior thats durable and doesnt fall apart/rattle/squeak but thats about it, mechanicals are poor and the bloody things rust worse than 70s/80s Lancias.

Yep, exactly that! Luckily she had a drive in a friend's one and said it was horrible! So I spent £200 of my premium bonds doing the cambelt and etc on the meriva!

When GTI owners get their arses handed to them away from the lights they say "Well I bought it for the quality - not the performance."

My mate swapped a two year old 02 plate 156 for a W reg tdi 90. Damaged shaft in the gearbox, leaking windscreen that gave you trench foot - it was utter turd.

A girl I used to know had an 05 plate GTi turbo -27 mpg on the motorway was the most it would do.

Golf gti's were my favourite car to bait in the xantia when it was in full tune! Especially lowered ones with a cocky wanker and his girlfriend in! From the 2nd set of lights at handy cross roundabout I could hit the a404 at about 90,at which point you couldn't see the roundabout behind...

Astras are even worse*. I fucking hate the 2005 onwards thing, a miniature Vectra B and thus vile. U Pull It is absolutely rammed with them. Focarse also. Shudder.

No, Civic/Corolla @ 2006 is the only way to go for something that was decently designed and built, none of this European crap.

* The 1999-2004 one wasn't a bad car though.

Panned iirc. The 115 bhp ones were alright as new cars I suppose but after the Mark 3, the 4 was such a massive improvement. Mark 5's are utter toss as well.

Yip, and yet they still cost a fucking fortune, as do parts for the bloody things when they need replaced which is a lot because theyre always going wrong.

I was never a VAG fanboy, but I at least thought they were on a far with Ford, Vauxhall, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Nissan and better than French stuff, now I realise they are worse than all of them, I regret spending so much sorting faults, getting it serviced, putting new tyres etc. on mine now because since that outlay of in total around £1000, its had a different issue every month, and is worth no more now than it was before I spent on it, my justification for it was i couldnt afford a newer and 'better' car, now realise I shouldve sold it and bought something, anything of the same value with the proceeds. 

Been looking through this thread...and something kept telling me I'd seen those garages before.

Mr Cavcraft - did you used to own a Frontera a good few years back....and did you also used to be on FOG...cos if so , then I think I purchased a Chrome nudgebar off you , and you and my wife (at the time) fitted it by said garages as i'd fooked my back in....

If not - forget all that 

also I can't find the bloody pic of them fitting it!!