Cars you would - but would'nt

Bren

The Avantime is pretty easy to look after it's all espace parts. I still think they're cheap.

It's not though, is it? I was under the impression that apart from the engines almost everything else (suspension, brakes, electrics etc etc etc) is specific to the Avantime, which is why they have such a high scrap value as they are worth significantly more in parts than as a whole car. I might be wrong, though

Some brilliant calls on this thread. Mucho depression too.....

Series 3 land rover, 2cv and Rolls Royce silver spirit. Yes they are reasonably attainable but academic really as I couldn't raise 50p for what would be a fourth or fifth car at the minute. And when I'm in a position to they'll be mega mega money.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I would also like a mk 1 granada - but £5-10 k for a good one is steep.

I think the retro ford thing is purely nostalgia driven - many people would not be impressed by a capri 30 years after their last one.

Like you, I hankered for a mk1 Granada, but I managed to get one in 2003 before prices went totally mental.(sold it a long time ago) It was everything I expected it to be, rumbling Essex v6, huge squishy armchair seats, wafting ride and easy 90 m.p.h cruising. Seriously, even today, they are a wonderful way to travel. Sadly they're now at the rarity stage where the only ones remaining are basket case no hopers fit only for the oval and gold plated minters with price tags to match.

Anyone remember a thread, marry, shag or avoid? Or something similar?

I said on there, a good few years ago that I wouldn't dare go near a Jaguar for fear that it would bankrupt me.

Now, I drive an X-308 and no longer have any fear of any vehicle.

I still suspect that I am unlikely to own an RO80, a Corvette, an Interceptor, a Facel Vega or a Bristol though.

Apart from the obvious stuff that's now too expensive, I'd like to suggest stuff I've bottled out of in the last couple of years , some in the last couple of months. C6, Disco3, Phaeton , XC90. I'll probably revisit them again when they're a few hundred quid, although the C6 is unlikely ever to get cheap, in fact they're going up already.

I fully intend to get another Chrysler 300C , but it will have to be a Hemi and guess what? Yes they've already bottomed out price wise and started going up again, the oldest is only 11 years old FFS! It'd be cheaper to buy a Bentley and put a Chrysler grille and badges on it.

Pretty much all of the above with the exception of the Rolls Camargue and the Porkers.

I'll add a Pagoda Merc, E-Type (ha!) a Citroen XM, DS, Traction Avant, and some kind of massive Yank station wagon these last of which have gone up every time I look due to OMG surf scene tax.

Oh and while I 100% agree about the Lagonda and whilst not generally that bothered about Ferraris, I'd like a 400i as it's the shite one - just what the world never asked of a Ferrari, a 4 seater, often auto that's not all that pretty or fast but still ruinous to run.

People who know I like cars often ask what I'd buy if I won the lottery thinking it would be a fucking Koenigsegg or a Bentley or a Mclaren or something - truth is, I would spend the rest of my days buying and selling shite as I wouldn't need to waste time at work trying to pay for it.

The big lottery win would see early retirement, and project commencing to find:

Renault 18 TX (UK spec)

Renault 11 GTC (with the Renault 12 engine)

Tagora diesel

That 47km X1/9 in Italy

Ferrari FF

But would bottle out and put the lottery win towards next MOT for the XJ12...

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I would love a Range Rover sport but the complexity and unreliability mean it's a no no. Plus all the sub £10 k examples have around 130k meaning they are at the age where they are highly likely to grenade.

You know what, so would I Bren.  They look so well proportioned, got that real Range Rover look about them (unlike the new sport that looks Japanese) with a nice high typical RR seating position but not enormous in size like the new fully blown RR now.

A black Sport HSE please, apparently they are an absolute dream to drive. 

Original 1960's Jag S-Type, should have years ago when cheap-ish.

Early Rangie - not a 4x4 Johnny but always wanted one and was too scared to go for it - won't now as £££££

Citroen XM - really want still, not expensive but so rare in anything other than bankrupt you condition.

Reminded by Cavcraft - bikes, only one really, as he said, the Suzuki RG500. Being a 2-stroke man I (very) nearly bought one about 20 years ago when they were only about £2K for a good one but just bottled it due to the complexity/cost of bits and kept my LC Yamaha (which i still have). Then again, not sure I'd still be here if I had gone for it! 

I agree with Station and must've left a post hanging somewhere on't tablet earlier, to the effect of Alfa SZ is now the sort of money I'd expect a mansion for (obv not in this silly property-sad/mad country) and that Busso 75s aren't exactly cheap, either. I drove an 'Il Mostro' years ago in anger, and found it sublime. It's said that with a few alterations to the suspension, a good 75 isn't that far short. I'm not so sure.

A nicely worn through use Renault 4. Only seem to see the sort of 4 I'd like to own I only ever see in Croatia, mainly on the islands.

An American v8, but not one of those 1990's waft saloons. Just for the noise really.

As for bikes, a road legal TZ750. A mate had one - mental.  He bought the one that was on the front of Superbike magazine in the very early 80's. The four expansion chambers were earsplitting loud. Not that it ran for long with total loss ignition and about 10 mpg. 

Definitely the Capri, even though I know it would be shit to drive. It was my favourite car as a kid, could have bought a tidy one for well under a grand when I started driving, but alas the boat has sailed

For me it was AE86 Corollas, back when they were simply "GT Coupes".

AE86_2.jpg