Electric nut runners.

Uncle Jimmy

I have the big Makita 1/2" drive one with a couple of 4Ah batteries. I love it!

Just stripped down a V70 over the last couple of weekends and things like big hub nuts come undone easily even without knocking out the locking ring, the big subframe bolts out in a second each etc.

I also take it with me when I have the big trailer on going anywhere, as it'll make short work of changing a wheel on the hard shoulder. Always have my 3' bar to nip them up the last bit though, as you'd be amazed just how little feel you get from one.

I also have a Makita DAB site radio for when I'm down in the shed and need some 6 Music, thoroughly recommend!

• 1 year later...

Thread resurrection.

Over the last 9 months or so I've become obsessed with Makita. My professional colleagues had Makita stuff for site work and I coveted it. Eventually I bought a drill/driver on ebay. It came with an impact driver that I didn't want, so I put it back on ebay and made most of my money back. The obsession was born. Fast forward to today and I've bought, and mostly sold, about 200 Makita products, on a quest to have the toughest, prosumer-est, teal-est kit possible.

Today was particularly exciting because the Yodel lady brought me this.

post-7585-0-66086100-1547590166_thumb.jpg

Fuck. Yeah. This is the DTW1001, the most powerful 18v impact wrench that Makita make. It's 3/4 drive for ultra manliness. It can loosen nuts tightened (by Beelzebub himself) to 1700Nm. It weighs nearly four kilos and retails at over £200. This, my friends, is skookum as frig.

Only one small problem - it doesn't work. Well, it was "untested" supposedly, which as we all know means fucked m8. Hence it was mine for £73 posted from ebay.

I bought it, of course, in the hope that I could fix it. Parts are readily available for the LXT range. It could be anything from a broken connection (£pence to fix) to a trigger (£30, common issue) or - worst case - it could be a fault in the controller unit. That's £190.

No time to waste, take the side off.

post-7585-0-25154000-1547590197_thumb.jpg

Mm, crusty. Lots of minging dirt, presumably brake dust from the many wheelnuts this thing has stripped bare. But wait, what is this?!

post-7585-0-86475800-1547590180_thumb.jpg

Look closely. The spade connectors are off the trigger. Presumably they'd been disconnected because some other bit is comprehensively fucked. Nevertheless I connected them back up and squeezed gingerly. Holy-o-fuck, it goes round and round! It rattled like a bastard, but I quickly remembered this would be because the casing locates the rear bearing on the rotor, and with half the casing off it's too free to move.

I gave it a quick inspection. It could probably do with a complete strip down and regrease. There's about a mm of play in the hammer, and I don't know if this means something needs replacing; could be the hammer casing or the hammer itself, though the latter is unlikely because it's super hard. There is no front bearing, the hammer just runs in the casing, so if there's been swarf ingress the casing could well have been worn away.

post-7585-0-98276600-1547590151_thumb.jpg

Anyway, now I need some big fasteners to undo...

The electric smoke seems to have been trying very hard to escape from the trigger, so it may need a new yin before long.

You're right. It has got a bit hot. I'm going to strip it down and service the gearbox/hammer side of things; if that's all OK, I'll give it a new trigger.