Autoshite in 2017 ?

daveb47

Separate 'front page' with jumbo sized thumbnail icons pointing to the best threads of the month.

'Best' threads will be decided by a complex algorithm such as

'like tally of op's posts'

divided by

'overall cnt count for whole thread'

or

Whoever can be arsed that month can decide it arbitrarily.

To follow up on Beko's post about a project section, and in light of people not wanting any more sections...

How about a project tag for the threads? Just like the for sale tags, that you can filter by.

Also, a chat room would be ace, but would also massively increase the already silly amount of time I spend on here.

The only change I'd like to see, is for the mods to get some bigger jackboots. No, seriously - despite what certain people might imagine, the mod team doesn't consist of bloated egos with their own sycophantic cliques trying to stamp their own preferences on the forum, they're just long-standing members who 'get' exactly what the site is about. I'm all for moving forward, welcoming new members and accepting that the cars will be getting newer, but if we keep trying to placate every moaning voice, we'll end up with a vapid non-entity of a forum full of utter bilge.

I'm actually amazed at how active this place is - look at other 'niche' auto forums and you'll see that they're nearly all dying a death thanks to social media. I don't want Autoshite to be an insular tribe with the same old faces saying the same old things, but if we don't have some kind of standard then we'll lose whatever appeal it has. I know that self-moderation has worked perfectly well in the past (with one or two exceptions) but unfortunately it won't work on its own any more - sorry, that's just how it is. Things change, get over it.

I know it's easy for me to say it, and I'm way too thin-skinned to ever do the job myself (I'd happily take a turn otherwise), but decisions need to be made final and stuck to. Yes, there'll be people up in arms and jettisoning dummies and toys everywhere, but eventually they'll either sod off and find somewhere else, or they'll shut up.

Massive thanks to Dave, Billy and CR (and belatedly to Trigger) for doing what they do despite getting nowt but grief for it.

I like the project tag, i also like the board as 'one'  ie everything mixed in together, sales, wants, etc.

Autoshite as a whole is very entertaining, I dont really do much in the way of other forums as I just dont have time to keep up to date with them all!

Personally I love the eclectic mix on the main board, especially the for sale stuff dotted about, all part of the appeal I think.

Don't reckon we need any more sections but tags for projects etc is a great idea and I'd love to be able to 'Gold star' the really good threads, as we've had some absolute belters and it'd help make them stand out, one (random) example being the Kia Pride one.

Personally I love the eclectic mix on the main board, especially the for sale stuff dotted about, all part of the appeal I think.

Don't reckon we need any more sections but tags for projects etc is a great idea and I'd love to be able to 'Gold star' the really good threads, as we've had some absolute belters and it'd help make them stand out, one (random) example being the Kia Pride one.

Don't forget the Boat thread (Coalnotdole?)

I like the For Sale stuff mixed in with the rest, I wouldn't change anything except for raffles to donate a tenner to Forum upkeep. I only donate when I remember and I'd hate to think of Dave funding this from his own pocket.

There's far better stuff on here than Amazon Prime and that's 8 quid a month or something.

The longer success lasts, the more paranoid its beneficiaries grow.

Anything more than minor tweaking risks losing what made it great. But the idea of scraping a % from raffles isn't daft.

And thanks for all the hard work which makes this possible. 

For God's sake don't touch anything!

I do like the idea of ignoring a whole thread, but maybe that's because I find myself getting all frothy and replying to shit and bumping it and then regretting it and then I go and drink a pint of gin to forget the whole sorry mess.

Nothing else though

BTW, for mobile users not getting along with the mobile site, Tapatalk is pretty good - you can upload images with a couple of taps.

There've been a couple of good ideas for minor tweaks, but as a whole, it don't need fixing.

I've one suggestion though: Please can we disable the annoying "Sent from my XYZwankfone using Tapatalk" line that appears on the end of some users' posts?
It does tarnish the reading experience.

There've been a couple of good ideas for minor tweaks, but as a whole, it don't need fixing.

I've one suggestion though: Please can we disable the annoying "Sent from my XYZwankfone using Tapatalk" line that appears on the end of some users' posts?

It does tarnish the reading experience.

It's quite easy to do that on the device - it's just a single checkbox in Tapatalk.

However since Tapatalk sends it as part of the post the user makes, can't see how the forum would be able to throw that bit away. You'd have to somehow delete every sentence that starts with "sent from"

I'm happy to lob up a couple of screenshots into the pinned help thread for anyone who can't find out how to take off that setting.